What's new

Finally tried Arko

Just too much hype not too. I very much enjoy VDH Luxury. Have no reason to hunt a new soap other than to see for myself how it compares to my favorites. Pull out of mailbox, immediately open bag and fold open top of foil to get a smell. I mean that is what everyone talks about when it comes to arko, right? Pleasantly surprised. Does not seem super strong, and is to my nose, in no way unpleasant. So when I get around to shaving, I try it stick to face, as it seems would be its intended method. Never used a stick before. Found it difficult if even a bit aggravating to try to rub circles. My whiskers grab it and seem to not want to let go. When rubbed with the grain, much easier and no trouble getting a nice soapy coating on face. Grab brush and go to work. OK, I may have over done it on the soap coating. Seems to be more soap than I need. Little more water, work some more....OK. Grab the razor and..... wow. Nice. Very enjoyable shave. No complaints at all. Grab the clubman and generous splash..... nope. No excessive burn. Finish shave routine climb into bed. Sniff. Sniff. The usual pleasing scent of my clubman seems to be non existent. I smell the arko. It does not smell bad at all. I rather like it. I do miss the smell of my clubman though. I got the arko to try and also with the intent of it living in my travel kit. Had some thoughts of it possibly replacing my VDH as daily driver, if for no other reason than I love the idea that it is basically unchanged since its origin in the 50's. I will use it more, and let it air out some, and get a more experienced opinion of it. At this point I do not see it replacing my VDH. Main reason, I want to smell the clubman. I love it. My wife loves it. I like the arko smell just fine, but it just is not "my" smell. If it airs out some and does not over power the clubman, I will be more pleased with it.

Cliff notes:
-Tried arko
-Pleasant smell and great performance
-Only complaint is the fact that it overpowers the smell of my after shave
-More uses planned and glad I finally tried the famous/infamous arko

When applying, make sure your face is very wet. Dip the tip of the soap into water for a few seconds. You don't have to apply in circles, just apply a thin even amount on the beard area. You will learn by trial and error how much soap you need.

You might like to try the Palmolive stick. The scent is more complementary with Clubman.

When applying, make sure your face is very wet. Dip the tip of the soap into water for a few seconds. You don't have to apply in circles, just apply a thin even amount on the beard area. You will learn by trial and error how much soap you need.

You might like to try the Palmolive stick. The scent is more complementary with Clubman.
Thanks, complimentary with clubman caught my attention. I spent time seeking out a cologne to compliment the clubman as well. I use the shampoo. I use the hair tonic also but find its scent to be less "clubmany". Anyhow.... Now I have to try Palmolive! LOL Everytime I think I have picked out my go to's and am done chasing new products, Oh look! I need to try that....

Thanks, complimentary with clubman caught my attention. I spent time seeking out a cologne to compliment the clubman as well. I use the shampoo. I use the hair tonic also but find its scent to be less "clubmany". Anyhow.... Now I have to try Palmolive! LOL Everytime I think I have picked out my go to's and am done chasing new products, Oh look! I need to try that....
Well, if you are a really big fan of Clubman, there is this:
CL_shave_soap__71066.1442690809.jpg
Quite good shaving soap. Scent is mild. The only thing not to like is the puck is really small.

Well, if you are a really big fan of Clubman, there is this:
View attachment 1078019
Quite good shaving soap. Scent is mild. The only thing not to like is the puck is really small.
I have considered it from time to time. It seems as if I remember it not having the best reviews. I got the idea that clubman became a name to sell and the original products were stellar and the new products were just products with the clubman name. That is purely what evolved in my mind, there is no factual basis to that. Plus I just enjoy VDH so much it takes a lot to talk myself into trying new soaps. Could be because it is what I learned on, or the fact that it has VERY little smell so it lets aftershave shine through, IDK. It just seems to be what I compare everything else to...and then continue using VDH. On the travel issue, I thought the stick would be a good fit and that drove me to pull the trigger on some arko. BUt the small puck in a seemingly metal container......the clubman puck may fit the travel bill.

Looked online a bit and the tin looks less like metal and more (a lot more) like plastic. Ooops. Still though

Last edited:
I have considered it from time to time. It seems as if I remember it not having the best reviews. I got the idea that clubman became a name to sell and the original products were stellar and the new products were just products with the clubman name. That is purely what evolved in my mind, there is no factual basis to that. Plus I just enjoy VDH so much it takes a lot to talk myself into trying new soaps. Could be because it is what I learned on, or the fact that it has VERY little smell so it lets aftershave shine through, IDK. It just seems to be what I compare everything else to...and then continue using VDH. On the travel issue, I thought the stick would be a good fit and that drove me to pull the trigger on some arko. BUt the small puck in a seemingly metal container......the clubman puck may fit the travel bill.
The Palmolive stick has a similar scent to the Clubman shaving soap. You can get the Palmolive stick very inexpensively by the pair from Connaught Shaving in the UK.

Arko is one of my three soaps (Tabac, Arko & kilo of Cella) I dont care for stick lathering so I press Arko into a ceramic bowl an puck lather with it. As you all know it makes a great lather and has a scent that I love. I buy the econamical box of 12 and when I get to the last stick I'll order another box

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Arko's scent is certainly "in your face," but not objectionable (at least to these nostrils). I find that it fades quickly enough so as not to conflict with any other scented products (A/S, frag, etc.) I might use.

Arko's scent is certainly "in your face," but not objectionable (at least to these nostrils). I find that it fades quickly enough so as not to conflict with any other scented products (A/S, frag, etc.) I might use.
My nose is probably so used to clubman that it was super sensitive to the new scent and was honed in on it, trying to figure out what was different. I agree, not objectionable at all.

I love Arko and I agree with you that VDH Luxury is a great performer. I judge all my soaps against VDH Luxury. But I just love using sticks. I made my VDH into a stick also. Works really well that way too.

Buy a kilo of Cella, and shave for a year. It has a fragrance of almonds, and comes in a single block of soap. About the same consistency as cream cheese. I just save a plastic container from any product that has a lid that snaps, and isn't too big. Put some Cella in the bottom and you're ready to go!

I love Arko and I agree with you that VDH Luxury is a great performer. I judge all my soaps against VDH Luxury. But I just love using sticks. I made my VDH into a stick also. Works really well that way too.
Please tell me more about turning VDH into a stick? I have read about melting some and others that should not be melted.

Connaught no longer sells these! Glad I bought 20 stick from them when they still did.
What is the world coming to? Valobra...gone. Palmolive...gone.

Well, at least you can still buy Palmolive sticks from Amazon and Ebay, though the price is a lot higher. This is a very economical soap in Germany.

Please tell me more about turning VDH into a stick? I have read about melting some and others that should not be melted.

It's very easy to do. Although you can melt VDH you don't have to. I just slice off pieces and push it into one of those tubes you can buy at West Coast Shaving or Amazon. The 2 oz. tubes I believe.
Here is a picture of the sticks I made from VDH Luxury and the Glycerin. Both make great sticks. Hard to see with white on white.

VDH sticks.jpg

Top Bottom