What's new

Finally snagged a Zenith Manchurian, opinion coming soon.

So. Been meaning to try a Zenith Manchurian for a good while now.

Background:

I like dense, scrubby badgers.

Used to use mostly semogue when I used boars(rarely), but someone convinced me to try the zenith short n scrubby boar and it became my only boar brush.

I mostly use mixed hair boar/badger knots these days as they give me the density, backbone, and scrubbiness I like.

Had a zenith manchurian in my cart more times than I can count, but kept putting it off till later. Finally landed a deal on one and my impression will be coming soon(also pictures).

Can you share the difference between semogue boar and Zenith boar? I use semogue boar now. I want to try Zenith boar.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Congratulations. The Zenith Manchurian is one of the best values in shaving brushes. I have 2 of them, and I traded away a third one. It may begin with some scritch, but be patient. Give it 10 or 12 lathers and it will relax and it will soon amaze you.

zenith manch 2.jpeg

As Owen mentioned, Zenith Manchurian is one of the best brush values available.

I love mine. It is in the same class as brushes I own that cost 2-3x more.

It's a nice brush. Looks like a low bulb, almost a hybrid.

Density is good. Hair is really nice. Feels natural. Got a good bit of scrub.

I'd agree it beats out a lot of pricier two bands. It makes me want to pick up another D01 two band to compare them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_210132914_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210423_210132914_MP.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210423_210135565_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210423_210135565_MP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210423_210243720.jpg
    IMG_20210423_210243720.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210423_210245951.jpg
    IMG_20210423_210245951.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 37

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Glad to see it arrived and has been put to great use. Nice pix, and thanks for sharing. Zenith is raising the bar!

Congratulations. The Zenith Manchurian is one of the best values in shaving brushes. I have 2 of them, and I traded away a third one. It may begin with some scritch, but be patient. Give it 10 or 12 lathers and it will relax and it will soon amaze you.

View attachment 1255644
I’ve been on the fence for a while now regarding the Zenith Manchurian. I keep hearing it has a lot of scritch. I prefer my Manchurian to have soft tips with backbone, but not scritch or scrub. Do you find the scritch diminishes after 10-15 shaves? Does it become a dense, soft pillow? Thank you for your thoughts.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I’ve been on the fence for a while now regarding the Zenith Manchurian. I keep hearing it has a lot of scritch. I prefer my Manchurian to have soft tips with backbone, but not scritch or scrub. Do you find the scritch diminishes after 10-15 shaves? Does it become a dense, soft pillow? Thank you for your thoughts.
Great questions. The scritch does diminish, and the knot does soften somewhat, but it never becomes a dense, soft pillow. It will still have some scrub for certain. I have several Simpsons Manchurians, and they aren't pillow soft either. I have a couple Paladin 2 bands that are very soft, and some Simpsons 2 band SiLVERTiPs as well, but in my experience Manchurian is always a bit more... tactile, we'll call it.

Great questions. The scritch does diminish, and the knot does soften somewhat, but it never becomes a dense, soft pillow. It will still have some scrub for certain. I have several Simpsons Manchurians, and they aren't pillow soft either. I have a couple Paladin 2 bands that are very soft, and some Simpsons 2 band SiLVERTiPs as well, but in my experience Manchurian is always a bit more... tactile, we'll call it.
Thank you, that’s very helpful. I’ve had a couple of Paladins, & still have one. I’m not expecting pillow soft like a silvertip. I have a couple of other Manchurian‘s, one from Elite Razor & the other from Rudy Vey. My main concern with the Zenith was if the scritch subsides. You’ve put my mind at ease. It’s been added to my want list. Thank you for your input, sir.

I have one of these coming In the mail. I've made a couple of flat tops using Shavemacs DO1's. Nice knots. Some of the older Rooney's are hard to beat, imo.

Simpson Manchurian would be better if you don't want the scritch/scrub, based on my example of it. I've heard others say it's got some... but mine is what I imagine "top tier" 2 band is like for most people... exactly what you describe... very soft but still with backbone.

Bought both a used Simpson Manchu and used zenith in the past month. Simpson much softer tips, but otherwise similar hairs. Both have GREAT backbone and density. I actually think I prefer the Zenith hair (I also prefer Simpson best vs super... I like a little scrub).
Having said that, I wouldn't say there's SCRITCH right now, but definitely SCRUB. It feels like a knot, not like a ball of cotton. The knot is used though, so when new... maybe it had scritch? Wouldn't surprise me to learn that. I would say its mid-low where I like knots for scrub (Rooney Finest and 70/30 mixed knots @ low lofts are mid-high, Simpson Manchu is low (backbone but very soft, albeit not gelled tips... gelled tips have zero scrub, they aren't even low)), so I don't think anyone but the most sensitive faces would find it objectionable.

So far I would say for 2 band my rankings (as a guy who likes scrub) Rooney Finest > Old M&F Blond / Nice vintage 2 bands > D01 2 band > Zenith > Simpsons 2 band > Semogue 2 band > other (not gel tip) 2 bands, tgn, oumo, etc > Gelled 2 band.

Having said that, those rankings are based on preference, so it's gonna be different for everyone. I'm actually curious to try an Oumo UHD 2-band without any gelling, if such a knot exists. Because the density on those is crazy good for the price, and the gelling is the only thing I dislike about them.

That's also why I want to get another Shavemac D01 2-band... I want to compare it with the Zenith head to head and confirm which I prefer.

Last edited:
I posted this over on another thread as well, but maybe it might get traction here too....

Anyone have experience with both the Zenith copper Manchurian and a 28mm SHD knot? If so, how does the density of the 28mm Zenith knot compare to the more recent SHD knots?

Top Bottom