What's new

Finally scored the brush I've wanted all along.

Back when I started wet shaving in 2004 I bought the best I could afford, it was a Shavemac 944 in Pure badger. Well, up until last year that was not only my "Go-To" brush, it was my ONLY brush. It served me well through all those years and still does to this day. I've never once run across a soap or cream that I couldn't produce at least an acceptable lather using it. The only thing was, the tips can be a little "stabby" when face lathering. Last year I finally bought a basic silvertip to see what all the fuss was about, I bought a Royal Shave PB3... and I was disappointed. What I really wanted was my 944 "Pure" with slightly softer tips, what I got was a soft cloud on a handle - way overshot the mark.

So I decided, I like literally everything else about my 944, I just want slightly softer tips. A Shavemac Finest bulb, in a 22 - 24mm knot should be just about perfect. I found that exact brush in the 177 23mm Finest at WCS for $95. I tend to agonize over spending that kind of money on myself so I waited and tried to decide if that's what I really wanted. As luck would have it, just before Christmas as I was browsing through the BST Forum I spotted that exact brush, in great shape and at a very nice price. I had to wait until after Christmas but I sent a PM to @mkiraly and it was still available...
This afternoon I received the package and it's so much nicer than I expected. Here's the 177 Finest on the left, my 944 Pure on the right:

IMG_0344.JPG

Again, 177 on the left, 944 on the right:
IMG_0345.JPG

Also in the box was a package of British Wilkinson Sword blades, I've never tried these but I've always wanted to. It was quite unexpected and further proof that the gentlemen (and ladies) of B&B are the most generous people of any shaving community out there:
IMG_0347.JPG

The pics really don't do it justice, this brush is nearly perfect and if it weren't for some slight wear on the logo, it could pass for NIB. I can't wait to shave with this beauty. Many thanks to Michael for a great deal on a great brush (and the bonus blades). He's the kind of gentleman that makes B&B a wonderful place to be a part of.
Jack

Enjoy the brush, Jack!
It was my first "good" brush, and guess where I got it?
Right here in the B&B BST, and I got a pack of blades with it as well...

Thanks Michael, it's a beauty. The knot doesn't appear to have been used much, if at all. These Shavemacs have held up amazingly well, in all the years I've had my 944 it's lost exactly 6 hairs - sure wish I could say the same!
Jack

Shavemac's Finest brushes are wonderful. I have 2 that have become my go to brushes. Very soft (at least to me) great face feel and enough backbone to not be floppy. Enjoy!

First time trying the new brush this morning:

Soaked it in warm water while I brushed my teeth
Soap: Reef Point Soap's Earl Grey and Ginger
Razor: '59 Fatboy set on "5"
Blade: Israeli Personna
AS: PdP (Sage)
*GBS Pine beard balm

Brush whipped up a rich, beautiful lather equal to my 944 Pure. The face feel was OUTSTANDING, very comfortable tips with just a touch of that scrub that I enjoy with my 944. This is exactly what I'd hoped it would be. I might someday buy another brush, just for variety, but I could easily use just this one for the rest of my days and be perfectly happy.

*Shaving just my throat and back of my neck (getting shaggy back there)

that's a great story. I'm glad the brush was all you'd hoped it would be. I'm going back and forth with brushes these days.

Thanks all. Just used the 177 again with Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee and my Fatboy loaded with an IP. This is very near my ideal setup, the brush was perfect once again.
Jack

Top Bottom