What's new

Finally managed a Dilucot on my La Grise

After weeks of practice I finally managed to use the Dilucot method to hone my Wade and Butcher and managed a HHT3. :lol:

Reset the Bevel on a growler.
30 X Strokes on DMT1600
Raised a Milk slurry 20 Half Strokes
Rinsed stone and razor, raised another milk slurry, 20 X Strokes
Diluted one finger load, 20 X Strokes
Diluted one finger load, 20 X Strokes. Slurry is practically all water at this point. Blade really glides along the stone, water tension easily pull any water drops off the edge of the blade.

Rinsed the stone and razor. 50 X Strokes on water. The blade feels like is is gliding on glass, water tension pulls any water off the top of the blade.

50 laps on linen, 50 laps on leather. At this point the hair violined on my razor.

50 more X strokes on water.

50 laps on linen, 50 laps on Leater. HHT3.

I also touched up my Ernst and White, 50 laps on water then 50 Linen/Leather.

Have a great day.
Jim

Attachments

• $Photo May 26, 3 23 19 PM.jpg
    $Photo May 26, 3 23 19 PM.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 129
  • $Photo Mar 03, 10 39 46 PM.jpg
    $Photo Mar 03, 10 39 46 PM.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. It figures, I meant to put Dilucot in the title. I've been using the Unicot method, if any Mod can change the title to Dilucot instead of Unicot please do so. I was thinking of the fact that I had tape on my Ernst while I was touching it up.

I've tried oil, and I'm still on the fence. I love the feel I get using water, and when I tried oil I didn't notice that much of a difference. I will try it a couple more times.

Jim

yeah, I keep trying oil like folks keep swearing by, but I think I'll stick with water with a drip of liquid soap. Seems to work fine, and I can keep a little better grip on the razor....oil climbs onto the tang, makes me slip and goof up the finishing step. Soapy water does too, but not so much.

+1..he got me to try Camellia Oil..had it to save my razor from oxidation..no longer an issue really..but man its puts the "oomph" upgrade on my edges now :001_rolle

I have used mineral oil (baby oil) or camelia oil-they are both essentially the same, mineral is cheaper.

Get the max out of the coti with water and then give it 50 extra laps on oil-big difference.

I've tried oil, and I'm still on the fence. I love the feel I get using water, and when I tried oil I didn't notice that much of a difference. I will try it a couple more times.

Don't worry, you'll get the same results with just water with practice. It just takes time. And, if you work at it, you can get a HHT4 before stropping unless perhaps you are testing with very, very fine hair.

Besides, if you don't notice much of a difference now, that probably means that you've gotten pretty good at finishing on a coticule already. You probably only need more time on just water. I recommend using plain water with nothing else (i.e. no soap) to maximize the usefulness of any feedback markers.

I'll note, though, that with all the Grises I've used (probably 4-5), if you start to notice the glassy feeling with water going away with the feeling becoming slightly "grabby", you're very close to being done and should get a HHT3-4 before stropping after not long. I notice that with other stones from different layers as well, but the feeling on stones from this layer seems rather distinct in this regard, at least to me.

I've had the la grise and i have tryed and tryed with mine but have to admit i just carn't get that keeness from mine ... nice to see they do work well, i'll give mine another go soon..

cheers gary

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Lather works, too.

In fact, lather helps a synthetic and even helps film. Takes a lot of laps, and very light pressure, but it gives you a finer edge than your honing medium would normally give.

Top Bottom