What's new

Finally, Justice for a bad driver..

I have an outside sales territory and for that territory I drive an average of 40k miles per year. I drive the speed limit with the flow of traffic and try to follow the laws of common sense. Yesterday I was forced off the road into the berm by a reckless driver literally going 90 in a 55 zone. I could see him coming as he was weaving in and out of traffic, and as he closed in on me , he swerved over at the last second causing me to go into the berm. I did what I always do i these situations which is nothing. I refuse to do anything that would cause an accident or try to provoke the idiot that is driving recklessly. My only thought is : Where is a cop when you need one? Today that thought was more than a hopeful wish. About 5 miles up the highway I saw the driver pulled over by the police. As I went by I just smiled and waved.

I love hearing this. I was run off the road last year while on the motorcycle and would have loved to see a police officer there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good deal. Lucky there was someone on patrol in that area.

Just call the State Highway Patrol and they may be able to intercept. It's always good to have the highway patrol number when you are traveling in case of emergency. When I was still working for the P.D., and in town off duty and saw someone being an idiot, I'd call dispatch to send a marked unit to do a stop. Since I was the one that saw the violations I'd just borrow the officer's ticket book and write it myself. There were other off duty officers that did the same thing.

Great to hear they got the driver. Those types are the worst and I can only think of the "what if it were my wife and kids in the car" scenario whenever I hear a story like this.

I was a UPS driver decades ago and the training they gave me has been invaluable over the years. One of the main things they taught us was to be slow and obvious, causing reckless drivers to react to us instead of the other way around.

I've avoided many a driver like this over the years because I moved slow and cautiously, in advance, away from the left lane clearing the way for such a driver to move on. I make sure to watch my mirrors at all times and never react. Even if you see them at the last minute behind you and do nothing they surely see you and will be the one reacting. Hold the line and be steady.

Chris

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great to hear they got the driver. Those types are the worst and I can only think of the "what if it were my wife and kids in the car" scenario whenever I hear a story like this.

I was a UPS driver decades ago and the training they gave me has been invaluable over the years. One of the main things they taught us was to be slow and obvious, causing reckless drivers to react to us instead of the other way around.

I've avoided many a driver like this over the years because I moved slow and cautiously, in advance, away from the left lane clearing the way for such a driver to move on. I make sure to watch my mirrors at all times and never react. Even if you see them at the last minute behind you and do nothing they surely see you and will be the one reacting. Hold the line and be steady.

Chris
having slower traffic out of the left lane is wise. Im happy to see faster traffic go past me or to move from the left lane so faster drivers can advance for the reasons the op mentioned it can cut down on aggressive drivers and attract police who may be up ahead on speed patrol. Imo driving the speed limit in the left lane equal to the car to the right in the next lane with no cars in front and 6 or 8 cars all following is more unsafe than someone who wants to drive fast

A huge problem in America is the total and utter lack of left lane discipline. Either it’s not taught or people don’t give a crap.
It’s supposed to be a passing lane but it’s NEVER enforced by police.

In Europe, by and large, people stay to the right unless they are passing.
In Ireland, where the motorway is a relatively new thing people seem to grasp the idea and don’t sit in the left lane. Maybe it’s enforced by the police more but it really grinds my gears .

having slower traffic out of the left lane is wise. Im happy to see faster traffic go past me or to move from the left lane so faster drivers can advance for the reasons the op mentioned it can cut down on aggressive drivers and attract police who may be up ahead on speed patrol. Imo driving the speed limit in the left lane equal to the car to the right in the next lane with no cars in front and 6 or 8 cars all following is more unsafe than someone who wants to drive fast

Rhody, I agree. Just to clarify, if I'm in the left lane it's always because I am moving faster than general traffic. I get out to make way for the drivers moving faster or recklessly.

If I'm in a lane other than the left lane I perform the same routine just to get out of the way of someone who is reckless. Better to arrive alive.

Chris

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Rhody, I agree. Just to clarify, if I'm in the left lane it's always because I am moving faster than general traffic. I get out to make way for the drivers moving faster or recklessly.

If I'm in a lane other than the left lane I perform the same routine just to get out of the way of someone who is reckless. Better to arrive alive.

Chris
In the old days i always used a radar detector. I take no joy seeing anyone pulled over for a traffic (taxation) stop.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
In the old days i always used a radar detector. I take no joy seeing anyone pulled over for a traffic (taxation) stop.

Heh heh. Radar detectors are pretty much worhless. We had a "hold" function on the radars where it wasn't emitting radar, then when a car came into view you'd hit the button and it would come on. It would instantly record the speed, and you would lock it in the display, before the radar detector could pick up the signal. I don't know how many people I've picked up doing 85 in a 55 in town and they said "But my radar detector didn't go off!".

I'm sure you're not advocating reckless driving though.

A huge problem in America is the total and utter lack of left lane discipline. Either it’s not taught or people don’t give a crap.
It’s supposed to be a passing lane but it’s NEVER enforced by police.

In Europe, by and large, people stay to the right unless they are passing.
In Ireland, where the motorway is a relatively new thing people seem to grasp the idea and don’t sit in the left lane. Maybe it’s enforced by the police more but it really grinds my gears .

I have driven in NY State, Jersey and PA, as well as the I-75(?) from Detroit down to South Carolina. Always found that left lane discipline in the US was MUCH better than here at home (Toronto Ontario).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Heh heh. Radar detectors are pretty much worhless. We had a "hold" function on the radars where it wasn't emitting radar, then when a car came into view you'd hit the button and it would come on. It would instantly record the speed, and you would lock it in the display, before the radar detector could pick up the signal. I don't know how many people I've picked up doing 85 in a 55 in town and they said "But my radar detector didn't go off!".

I'm sure you're not advocating reckless driving though.
one of my first speeding tickets was probably due to my leaving the radar detector on and blaring as the officer stood at my window. That first model was almost as big as a shoe box.
And absolutely not suggesting reckless driving. I dont associate speed with being reckless. There are many other factors. I had a trooper (gym) friend tell me slow traffic and inconsistent speed is the bigger problem.
We had another friend who would always monitor the approximate speed of LE vehicles driving without emergency lights on to determine if they were driving the speed limit.

what i consider reckless are the countless drivers who blast down our 25 zone residential street that unfortunately is a cut through at 40 mph and who then drive 40 on the freeway.
Reckless is also the mechanics at the big box shop down the road who use our street to circle back to the shop on test drives frequently flooring it down the street.

Top Bottom