What's new

Finally joined the Rubberset 400 club.

Finally found a 400 that was in decent shape to restore. I didn't think to get a before picture. I have another one on the way, so I will post a before & after with that one. Ace shaving Best Badger knot.

0305170812.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice, Ronnie! What grit progression did you get up to on it?

This reminds me that I have one from over a year ago that I was going to restore. I made plans to do so when I was the Brushes Stew for a couple of weeks, but the project fell to the wayside when I jumped over to The Nib.

Did it all with scotch brite wheels on a Dremel and the same on my bench buffer. No sandpaper. I have another coming in the mail.

Looks nice! :thumbsup:

I must be the odd man out, I never did like those, or any metal handled brush for that matter. What is it that makes them so desirable?

I see gobs of them on the bay, they seem to be overly proud of them!

Did you weigh it down any?

I tossed a rare earth magnet into the handle on mine and filled it 90% of the way with two part epoxy. It feels much better with the weight and balance now. The magnet is cool and it will hang off anything metal now. Picks up loose blades too.

I wish there were a place to get spare finials easily.

Great job with the restoration.

Looks nice! :thumbsup:

I must be the odd man out, I never did like those, or any metal handled brush for that matter. What is it that makes them so desirable?

I see gobs of them on the bay, they seem to be overly proud of them!.

Thanks! I am also an odd man out, because I don't like cheese on a hamburger. LOL I guess we don't all like the same stuff. Some of us think the 400s look pretty cool. They are quite a rarity BTW. I have seen maybe a dozen or so in pristine condition in the last couple of years on the bay. Compared to about 100 "very rare" straight razors that get added every day. What's your favorite handle material? I even make them out of cork.

Thanks! I am also an odd man out, because I don't like cheese on a hamburger. LOL I guess we don't all like the same stuff. Some of us think the 400s look pretty cool. They are quite a rarity BTW. I have seen maybe a dozen or so in pristine condition in the last couple of years on the bay. Compared to about 100 "very rare" straight razors that get added every day. What's your favorite handle material? I even make them out of cork.

I like wood, it has a "warmer" feel to it.

Wow! Great looking brushes, Ronnie. Speaking of "Rubber"set, ever tried turning any ebonite handles? My grail handle would be a 'woodgrain' or 'red ripple' type ebonite pattern to match one of those early Waterman fountain pens..

Top Bottom