What's new

Finally joined the Club...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
... and purchased the first gun in my life! My wife and I took a gun class in early April. We both had so much fun that we thought that target shooting could be a great hobby for the two of us together (plus the added benefit of home protection...). So, I applied for a Firearms ID and hand gun permits - NJ is a state where this is not quite as easy as in other states in the Union. Expecting to wait maybe 6-9 months, I was surprised when I had a voice mail after I got back from Mexico late last week: my FID and the hand gun permits were ready for pick-up at my local police. Total time was 9 days after my finger printing. Pretty much unheard of in the State of NJ.
Today we went and selected a couple of guns for us. A revolver, I thought, is a must have - I like the simplicity of them very much. So we got a S&W 686 P with 4" barrel today, and in 32 days we pick up a S&W M+P 9 mm Shield. My wife found this one to be perfectly fitting for her. It feels actually quite nice and I had a better feeling with this one than with the Glock 19 I was thinking of getting.

Welcome to the fraternity.

You should get yourself (and your wife) a 22 lr target hand gun. Either a revolver or semi automatic.

You will find they are a great enjoyment and pleasure to shoot.

There is nothing more rewarding than punching little holes in paper from a distance.

Congratulations Rudy, you should both be proud. My wife and I both got our permits back in 1996 and she is a better shot than I am. Watch out for the AD's with your new endeavor though. I went nuts for a while and got into reloading my own shells, I now have almost as many shells stored away as shaving soaps and creams.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Welcome to the fraternity.

You should get yourself (and your wife) a 22 lr target hand gun. Either a revolver or semi automatic.

You will find they are a great enjoyment and pleasure to shoot.

There is nothing more rewarding than punching little holes in paper from a distance.

This is the plan for the near future - it is also a bit cheaper ammo wise....

Congratulations! My wife and I basically just went through the same thing. We just picked up our new Springfield XDm 9mm from the FFL agent this past Sunday.

Believe it or not, it was her that actually got me into sporting clays, waterfowling, and upland bird hunting last fall. As recently as about 2 weeks ago, we mutually decided to join the ranks of pistol ownership for purposes of paper punching and home defense and are even going to be taking a concealed carry class.

I, too have my eyes on a .22 handgun (not sure if I'll get a revolver or auto) and also a Henry Lever action .22 for purposes of cheap shooting fun. We're fortunate to have a few good range options very close, so I see a lot of shooting in our future.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Congratulations Rudy - the S&W 686 is a great gun, mine is yours' Blue Brother, Model 586 ..

Attachments

• $SW357EXPII.jpg
    $SW357EXPII.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 191
Congratulations Rudy! The 686 is a fine revolver, I have its great uncle the model 19 and they are really nice to shoot.

I think someone on the firearms board must be a wetshaver with one of your brushes for you to get fast tracked like that!

I'm only the next town over and it took about 4 months last time I filed for a permit. Good choice going with a revolver. We don't fire that often and my wife always has a difficult time chambering a round in our autos.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Congratulations Rudy, you should both be proud. My wife and I both got our permits back in 1996 and she is a better shot than I am. Watch out for the AD's with your new endeavor though. I went nuts for a while and got into reloading my own shells, I now have almost as many shells stored away as shaving soaps and creams.

I love how reloading saves you money. Kind of like wet shaving.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This is the plan for the near future - it is also a bit cheaper ammo wise....

Indeed it is. Have you considered a .45ACP and a .22 conversion kit? The kit changes out the barrel and slide in a minute or so and lets you shoot .22 from your full size .45 and then you can convert it back to original in another minute or two. Two guns in one.

Indeed it is. Have you considered a .45ACP and a .22 conversion kit? The kit changes out the barrel and slide in a minute or so and lets you shoot .22 from your full size .45 and then you can convert it back to original in another minute or two. Two guns in one.

Or you could just spring for a Colt Ace :lol:

proxy.php

Congrats Rudy. You will love the M&P9. I have a full size one and with the interchangeable grips it fits multiple hands perfectly. The most ergonomic gun made IMO.

Nice choices, Rudy. I have a 1911 carry but the 686 holds a warm spot in my heart. Accurate, easy to use, and the S&W trigger pull is one of the best out-of-the-box.

AFA practice, I think a 22 is a great idea. They are fun. However, having purchased conversions for my 1911 and for an AR, I think I prefer the real ammo in the weapon designed to hold it. It is certainly more expensive but target ammo can be had for a reasonable cost and if you ever have to use it for real, there is no surprise - you know what is going to happen and where you are going to hit.

Plinking with the 22 is just plain fun, though.

Very nice choices indeed! I have a hole that I need to fill with a nice revolver, I have a couple semi-autos now, one in .40, the other a .45. Have my eye on something like a .44mag, maybe get the wife a nice .357.... all the dreams, none of the cash!

Have fun with the shooting, it really is a great way to spend some time, relieve some stress...

You need a permit to own a handgun? Ugh.
Is the Firearms ID for concealed carry or is it an ID card so you can buy a gun?...Anyway nice choices. I have a Springfield XD9 that I find myself shooting a lot more than my Glock(40 cal) and my 1911(.45) because the cost of ammo is substantially cheaper.

Top Bottom