What's new

Finally had a cream truly go bad

Had a tub of old school sandalwood Body Shop cream. Label said 2006. I think I got on closeout later than that though.

Had it in storage for probably a decade.

Opened it up, and it had turned into a chunky cold liquid. It was probably still shaveable. It didn't smell bad, but it's not worth it.

All in all, I haven't had much go bad in my traditional shaving career.

Sir Guitarslinger, consider you're lucky.

Body Shop, IMHO, is not the top tier in any case.

And, 13 years...give me a break!

My reco, toss it and replace with another nice shave cream or soap.

For sandalwood, perhaps AOS, TOBS, even Proraso Red.

Had a tub of old school sandalwood Body Shop cream. Label said 2006. I think I got on closeout later than that though.

Had it in storage for probably a decade.

Opened it up, and it had turned into a chunky cold liquid. It was probably still shaveable. It didn't smell bad, but it's not worth it.

All in all, I haven't had much go bad in my traditional shaving career.

I had a puck of Godrej I suspect went bad. I had taken an old puck out of a ramacan that had sat in the bathroom for about six months unused. It started developing a brown dust appearance on the sides after sitting so long, so I washed it off. I tried shaving with it and it irritated my face, so I pitched it.

Godrej shave rounds have no preservatives or chelators, so it's possible it molded.

I'm generally paranoid about storage of my toiletries if I collect more than a few and they will be unused any period of time. I keep extras in a fridge and I don't buy products that don't have preservatives of some kind.

I'd try it as a soap, perhaps it might work well that way.

Chris

Maybe as a hand degreaser in a garage, but I wouldn't use it to shave with.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
How about making a frankencream? Mix it with something else and report back on the experience.

I have enough soaps in my collection to last two decades, so I hope at least some of them will survive more than 13 years. However, with the high water content of creams, spoilage is more likely.

Sir Guitarslinger, consider you're lucky.

Body Shop, IMHO, is not the top tier in any case.

And, 13 years...give me a break!

My reco, toss it and replace with another nice shave cream or soap.

For sandalwood, perhaps AOS, TOBS, even Proraso Red.

Replacing it definitely won't be a problem. :lol:

I have the Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux Weinstrasse Icarus Soap on the way. The scent is intoxicating. Chatty Lux has the power to take over my conscious mind.

Top Bottom