What's new

Finally: Grandpa's Brush!

For a few years, I've been using one of those cheap Van Der Hagen brushes. It gave a decent lather, but I found it to be a bit floppy, and it shed at least a dozen hairs each time I shaved, enough that I had to to use a little Drano from time to time to keep the sink draining properly.

I was over at my Grandparents' house this weekend, and finally got the courage to ask my grandmother if I could have my grandpa's old Ever Ready brush, the one with the red bottom, and what appear to be boar bristles. I took it home, washed it out thoroughly (It smelled kind of funky after sitting for 30 years or so. Grandpa switched to Atras and shaving cream for some reason.), and eagerly anticipated using it this morning. It works like a dream! The knot is relatively small, and the bristles stiff but soft at the tips. I got great lather, and good coverage on my face.

If you can pick one up, I'd recommend it. I've seen a few brand new/old stock ones on eBay for a decent price. It's not silvertip badger, and it's got a plastic handle, so it'd be easy to look down your nose at, but I really like it.

Alas, Grandpa's old SuperSpeed razor appears to be gone for good. My frugal grandparents kept everything (the bathtowels were used and washed so much that they were transparent), but he didn't hold onto that razor!

Congratulations. I have both of my Grandpa's brushes. They are too brittle to be used for anything but display though. I did find an very good looking old stanley handle and stand, in my granpa's cabinet with the knot all but gone. I am toying around with the idea of replacing the knot, and using it.

Thanks! I used it again today, with excellent results. With the van der hagen, which was really floppy, I'd end up with lather dripping all over the place, and large bubbles on my face. With this brush, the lather goes where I want it, and it is much more dense.

Now, if only I could get Grandpa's .32 revolver home without the wife finding out about it, or the baby getting into it!

Top Bottom