What's new

finally got my suits tailored...

I have 2 suits I use for work...mainly trade shows. One is a navy blue Silverstone (English, I think). I've had it for 4 years or so but haven't worn it lately due to the waist shrinking somehow :) The other is a Black pinstripe...Calvin Klein, I believe. It's one of those deals where you buy the jacket and pants separately (I needed a suit ASAP once and didn't have time for altering). Those pants got small as well so I ended up buying a larger size pant last year. Those pants were just too big and the crotch ends up being halfway to my knees. I was thinking about getting a new one for work, but thought I might as well try tailoring them to see if I could save some money. I don't want to spend a lot of money on work attire. My good suits are all vintage and way too nice to work in.

I found a great tailor on Yelp...an old Italian man who is super nice. He's had his shop for a very long time. I brought him the two suits last week and picked them up today. What a difference! He was able to let out the waist of the blue suit, lengthen the sleeves and take in the waist area of the coat a bit. Fits like a glove now. The other suit he was able to let out the original pants and take in the jacket a bit. Man it fits great too. The jacket was always too big. It's like having two new suits. Amazing how that can make a ho-hum, not super expensive suit look like a million bucks.

Grand total was only $84. Well worth it. I was expecting more like $130 or so. I'm also glad I found an awesome tailor to go from now on. I have some other stuff I'm definitely going to bring him and now I have a great place to bring my vintage stuff when it needs to be altered.

Ben

Tailoring your clothing to fit the body you have is the easiest way to separate yourself from the off the rack clothes most folks drape on themselves.

The exception being the off the rack clothing actually fits you properly!

Having a good tailor is paramount, I am glad you found one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Lucky you!! We had a great Lebanese-born tailor in Dearborn, MI when we lived in Michigan - he was trained in Paris in the 50's and he did incredible work on our clothes. We haven't found anybody here in NJ that does work nearly as good as he did. Having a good tailor is bonus if you do not have one of these fashion model figures:biggrin::biggrin:

Lucky you!! We had a great Lebanese-born tailor in Dearborn, MI when we lived in Michigan - he was trained in Paris in the 50's and he did incredible work on our clothes. We haven't found anybody here in NJ that does work nearly as good as he did. Having a good tailor is bonus if you do not have one of these fashion model figures:biggrin::biggrin:

I live in MI and I'm looking for a good tailor. Would you mind passing on the location and name of said tailor?

I wish I can find a good tailor in Melbourne. I have a suit and an overcoat which are way too big for me but are too good to be just hanging in the rack. You're lucky to find one.

I'd like to buy a new suit but was wondering if there's anything I should know about getting one tailored. if I found a nice suit that's a little big for me I'm sure they can tailor it to fit me, but what about a suit that's a little smaller than what I normally wear.

I don't know about smaller suits. I think some suits are hemmed (right word?) are they might be able to make it longer but not by much I would think. I know pants are somewhat easier though.

I'd like to buy a new suit but was wondering if there's anything I should know about getting one tailored. if I found a nice suit that's a little big for me I'm sure they can tailor it to fit me, but what about a suit that's a little smaller than what I normally wear.

I'd imagine that the waist of the pants could be taken out but that the jacket would be a problem.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
When I was in Seoul a couple years ago I had 2 suits custom made for me by one of the Taylor's (probably a sweatshop) in Itaewon. For both it only cost me 320.00 I was measured one day, and picked the suits up the next. I don't wear suits often, but I know that when I do wear one of them it will fit me well and be comfortable. I just make sure I don't pull any loose strings. :lol:

It's definitely worth establishing that kind of relationship. There's nothing quite like knowing you "look like you know what you're about" as a younger acquaintance said of me a while ago. I in fact, get a bit self-conscious at times with some ensembles, as its so obvious I've really decided to get my act together, but haven't gone to Harvey Nicols to do it. I went out last year in a veritable Monsoon (albeit a cold one....it is Glasgow), with a Stetson Delaware and Drizabone and half the general public looked at me with jealousy at my obvious forethought and being the only person not utterly pee-d off and soaked, while the other half just marked me down as an idiot who desperately wanted to be a cowboy! One thug in a tracksuit who was soaked to the bone stared at me in utter horror, as I passed him and loudly said "for f**k's sake", like he couldn't believe I was allowed out like that. Still, he caught pneumonia and I felt utterly vindicated.

finally brought my suit in for some alterations and i'm glad I went with the 'reputable' tailor in town. his prices were pretty good and he definitely knew what he was talking about. i'm going to a fundraiser next week so it's good I brought the suit in today because it'll take them about 1 week to finish it. aside from needing the waist brought out and the cuffs removed from the pants he also suggested I get the jacket sleeves shortened because they were a little too long to his trained eye.

When I was in Seoul a couple years ago I had 2 suits custom made for me by one of the Taylor's (probably a sweatshop) in Itaewon. For both it only cost me 320.00 I was measured one day, and picked the suits up the next. I don't wear suits often, but I know that when I do wear one of them it will fit me well and be comfortable. I just make sure I don't pull any loose strings. :lol:

With one or two exceptions, the Itaewon tailors all outsource to the same cutting shop. Their suits aren't bespoke, just made to measure. That's not necessarily bad, but not what they claim they're selling.

Top Bottom