What's new

Finally going to take the plunge.

I popped in a while back, got a few pieces of advice on what DE razor to get but I chose instead to just keep trimming due to money concerns. Now I've had a job since February, been saved up a good amount and it's time to treat myself to a cleaner image. For the record I want to keep my beard but cleaner cheekline and neck. So I am wet shaving but also doing beard maintenance.

Here's what I've got in my online baskets atm:

Razor - Fatip Grande Gold finish. I was told last time to get the Special Edition because both combs available are included, but I really like the idea of the all-gold finish on top of the brass (why I'm not looking at a Muhler or Edwin). I'm confident I can deal with open comb.

Brush - Omega 11126. I love products with a wood element, and the gold trim will go well with my choice of razor.

Blades - Astra SP (There's an Amazon promo that throws in a free Arko stick)

Soap - I'm getting a free Arko stick, but I can see myself having Proraso White long term. I have sensitive skin.

However. I still have things to add to baskets in order to obtain free shipping. And I'm weighing up my options, I'm also wondering to what extent is there more essentials. For example.

Beard Balm
Beard Oil
After-shave
Pre-shave
A beard brush (I already have a boar paddle brush for my hair though)

The site I'm ordering has several sets I'm looking at. The wooden boxes are hard to resist, but I'm still trying to not splash out.

(Shampoo, oil and brush)

(Aftershave, soap and balm)

And there's a third with the green version of the red. The currency is foreign but I assure you the prices are comparable in total and they're basically throwing the box in for free. The forum speaks highly of this brand.

But, there's also this. The metal case is nice too.

(Shampoo, oil and balm). Forum speaks highly of Proraso's soap but not necessarily the other things.

I'm not just wondering how much of those combinations I actually need. Remember I'm keeping my beard but shaving my neck and inner cheeks. What's your take gentlemen?

I have coconut oil by the way, and plan to make my own beard oil in the future.

Last edited:
try what you want to get and adjust :) the only way IMHO with all this is just to start using it and see how its working for you as the old YMMV is so so huge with all this :)

Only facial hair I have is a vandyke so that is not a full beard also the old YMMV
me I like some of the beard washes over the shampoo but both work so IMHO that is more just a fun side thing and not needed
the oil I do not like as it does leave my beard with some coating feeling I hate again personal
I do like some balms that do not stay greasy and they have really helped keep my skin under from ever getting itchy etc so for me the bead balm was a game changer

pre shave I am testing on some soaps for fun again but IMHO a soap should do its job without any pre shave and I have soaps that do well ! I think more are NOT using them than using them but could be wrong :) so I say not needed but worth finding out if you like them and they help and if anything trying various soaps is key ! But a good pre shave might make a poor soap work better to start with

aftershave is a must for me again finding ones you like and I use Neutrogena Hydro gel after mine some use balms some use splash and balms and some prefer witch hazel based over alcohol so again try and find what works and I find some of the cheap ones just as good as the expensive ones so its not as much a cost thing as what works and what you like

my chin hair I just use a brush and electric trimmers to keep in shape never used a brush I hear they are nicer ? Again one day but my chin hair is short and never gets to long so I would not be one to ask on that I reckon :)

just remember to have fun and be willing to try some other things if something is not working out and everyone has opinions on various things but you just have to try them yourself

sure ya been lurking enough to kinda know this though :)

Welcome to the threads. Looks like you're off to a good start.

I'd be no help with most of the items on the list, though I'll agree with Ckmaui that cheap aftershaves will often do the job and might even be the ones you prefer (and, if you don't, no great loss).

Here's where the real fun starts. Mind that rabbit hole.

You have made excellent shaving choices. If you have sensitive skin, be aware that a new boar brush will be quite stiff and maybe too abrasive to face lather sensitive skin. After initial washing of the brush with shampoo or dish soap, make sure to soak it in water for 5-10 minutes before each use. The boar brush bristles will absorb water and make better lather. With use, the ends of the bristles will split and the brush will become a soft luxurious lathering experience. I started with an Omega 48 and also a Yaqi 24 mm synthetic. Synthetic bristles require no soaking and make nice lather too. They are still my favorite brushes. It was very good for me to have both types available.

My first soap was Proraso white, and it is indeed delightful.

I have worn facial hair since my junior year of high school. I have never used beard products, so cannot help there. There is a beard and facial hair forum here on B&B. Take a look there for some discussion of products.

Quick update: I consulted with my GF what scents sound appealing to her. I thought she would be super into wood and spice, but she said she can't confirm anything without actually smelling - However she's curious about the green/blue Cella Milano from the site description. It also sounds like it would be a safe introduction given my sensitive skin. It might react...porely (sorry) to regular products. It would make more sense to try wood and spice on an individual item basis rather than having to discard an entire set.

Some backstory, I've tried moisturizer once in my life - It was nivea white. My dimples broke out in a rash and since then I've only used super basic (natural) soap on my face. So perhaps I'll get the green/blue set. That gives me an extra soap, an after-shave, a balm to shape my beard, I'll use just coconut oil (already owned) as a beard oil at the start and make my own beard oil if all works out. And use proraso balm after the Cella has finished.

The tin is nice but...wood...must get wood.

Last edited:
Some backstory, I've tried moisturizer once in my life - It was nivea white. My dimples broke out in a rash and since then I've only used super basic (natural) soap on my face.
For after-shave, plain old aloe vera is a very good option; one of my standard favorites, especially in cold/dry weather.

My regular after shave splash is generic brand witch hazel to which I have added a few tbs of aloe vera, a few tsp glycerine, and about 10 drops of tea tree oil.

The website Barbercompany seems a bit sketchy. It's using the name and logo of another business that has storefronts in another country - the address on this website has none according to streetview. The products are all cheaper than other vendors (but not to an ridiculous amount), and some review websites have customers reporting they never received their goods.

I also used the on-site chat to enquire whether the box comes with the Cella set, the response was extremely brief and they did not exhibit typical customer service communication (Is there anything else I can help you with?). That and the higher than typical free delivery threshold...I'd rather spend a bit more to avoid risk.

Plus that brush has some fakes going around in this country, a reviewer on amazon had theirs come apart. They also said it was plastic gold, not metal gold.

I'm on a budget still because I have some ambitions and they'll require some investment, but it doesn't matter how cheap something is if you get nothing after buying.

I have a few other considerations for the brush, for example:

A couple of these are extensively covered on this forum already. The Omega vs Semogue debate provides good reading material. I want something that either has nice wooden/vintage notes or goes with the gold grande.

Edit: I just saw this o_O Omega 11574 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush - https://www.dambiro.de/Omega-11574-Pure-Bristle-Shaving-Brush

I like orange...

Last edited:
1666589229552.png

...And while checking out Yaqi brushes, they list this 'sketchy' company as one of their vendors. So now I'm at odds.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome back to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little more about yourself.

I popped in a while back, got a few pieces of advice on what DE razor to get but I chose instead to just keep trimming due to money concerns. Now I've had a job since February, been saved up a good amount and it's time to treat myself to a cleaner image. For the record I want to keep my beard but cleaner cheekline and neck. So I am wet shaving but also doing beard maintenance.

Here's what I've got in my online baskets atm:

Razor - Fatip Grande Gold finish. I was told last time to get the Special Edition because both combs available are included, but I really like the idea of the all-gold finish on top of the brass (why I'm not looking at a Muhler or Edwin). I'm confident I can deal with open comb.

Brush - Omega 11126. I love products with a wood element, and the gold trim will go well with my choice of razor.

Blades - Astra SP (There's an Amazon promo that throws in a free Arko stick)

Soap - I'm getting a free Arko stick, but I can see myself having Proraso White long term. I have sensitive skin.

However. I still have things to add to baskets in order to obtain free shipping. And I'm weighing up my options, I'm also wondering to what extent is there more essentials. For example.

Beard Balm
Beard Oil
After-shave
Pre-shave
A beard brush (I already have a boar paddle brush for my hair though)

The site I'm ordering has several sets I'm looking at. The wooden boxes are hard to resist, but I'm still trying to not splash out.

(Shampoo, oil and brush)

(Aftershave, soap and balm)

And there's a third with the green version of the red. The currency is foreign but I assure you the prices are comparable in total and they're basically throwing the box in for free. The forum speaks highly of this brand.

But, there's also this. The metal case is nice too.

(Shampoo, oil and balm). Forum speaks highly of Proraso's soap but not necessarily the other things.

I'm not just wondering how much of those combinations I actually need. Remember I'm keeping my beard but shaving my neck and inner cheeks. What's your take gentlemen?

I have coconut oil by the way, and plan to make my own beard oil in the future.
To me it looks like you already have everything you need covered in your basket already with the exception of aftershave.
It would make more sense to try wood and spice on an individual item basis rather than having to discard an entire set.
If you’re interested in getting the Proraso wood and spice the shaving cream is great

Top Bottom