What's new

Finally getting around to restoring some 11 year old fire damaged razors.

Here is my first attempt at home replating. This is a Sweedo handle. The head is irredeemably warped and buckled up, so this handle made a good test subject. It had been soot covered, and several days in the vibratory tumbler with walnut shells and brasso wore most of the soot and plating off.
For the plating solution, I made my own "safer" version than the high acid stuff you can buy. Vinegar and salt, plus some nickel anodes bought off ebay and an ac wall adapter I spliced to some alligator clips. I let that work until it turned a nice green color and filtered the solution through a coffee filter. The adapter I'm using is a bit too high (it was the only spare I had and I have one better suited to plating on the way), so I had to manually agitate the solution while plating. I also contaminated my solution by letting two different sets of alligator clips make contact, so my plating solution has some copper, zinc, tin, and iron in it in addition to nickel. A few minutes stirring this around in that bath, and this is the result.
IMG_20210818_184241.jpg

I wish I had taken a before, but this was plain brass earlier today.
It's not going to shine like factory finish, even if I start using brightener, but I think I'm off to a decent start.

Here is my first attempt at home replating. This is a Sweedo handle. The head is irredeemably warped and buckled up, so this handle made a good test subject. It had been soot covered, and several days in the vibratory tumbler with walnut shells and brasso wore most of the soot and plating off.
For the plating solution, I made my own "safer" version than the high acid stuff you can buy. Vinegar and salt, plus some nickel anodes bought off ebay and an ac wall adapter I spliced to some alligator clips. I let that work until it turned a nice green color and filtered the solution through a coffee filter. The adapter I'm using is a bit too high (it was the only spare I had and I have one better suited to plating on the way), so I had to manually agitate the solution while plating. I also contaminated my solution by letting two different sets of alligator clips make contact, so my plating solution has some copper, zinc, tin, and iron in it in addition to nickel. A few minutes stirring this around in that bath, and this is the result.
View attachment 1313854
It's not going to shine like factory finish, even if I start using brightener, but I think I'm off to a decent start.
Thanks for sharing the photo. The technical chops that many B & B people have never cease to amaze me. Good luck with the restorations and please keep us posted.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1313854
If you have a decent thickness you'll be surprised how well buffing with polishing compound works.
The copper, zinc, tin and iron contamination is a hindrance.
I always keep my anodes with some sticking up out of the solution so my clips are never submerged.

If you have a decent thickness you'll be surprised how well buffing with polishing compound works.
The copper, zinc, tin and iron contamination is a hindrance.
I always keep my anodes with some sticking up out of the solution so my clips are never submerged.
You are not kidding. I am shocked at how well that turned out. Gave it another round in the same solution, with the same overpowered adapter (7.5 volts!), and it seems the voltage wasn't too high and the solution not too contaminated because this turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_224016.jpg
    IMG_20210820_224016.jpg
    14.8 MB · Views: 20

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You are not kidding. I am shocked at how well that turned out. Gave it another round in the same solution, with the same overpowered adapter (7.5 volts!), and it seems the voltage wasn't too high and the solution not too contaminated because this turned out.
Looks great!

Top Bottom