What's new

Finally get to make this post!

After a year of being on these forums I finally get to make the:

"I found this at the local antique store" post.

Edge looks good and no rusting I could spot. Ive seen the brand thrown around but dont know anything about it. Looking forward to learning about my new razor and also honing it up.
IMG_20190519_202511.jpg
IMG_20190519_202608.jpg
IMG_20190519_202638.jpg
IMG_20190519_202622.jpg
IMG_20190519_202705.jpg
IMG_20190519_202717.jpg

Nice find! Hope you got a good deal.

Collectors/Users seem to regard OLD Puma razors the way Americans regard pre70's CASE XX knives.

The first Puma razors were made in 1922, when the Lauterjung family changed the brand name from Tiger to Puma. Puma has ever since been a manufacturer of first class knives. Their razor designs have always been timeless. It's hard to see if a Puma razor is 30 or 90 years old. The design is also very clean and elegant and the quality is among the very best there is. This doesn't include the Puma razors that are made today, but the ones that were made up until the late 1980's. My personal opinion is that the Puma razors combine the best of razors made in Solingen and Eskilstuna. That's about as high praise I can give.

Your Puma 88 seems to be nearly unused. The 88 was one of the more common ones, but that doesn't mean that it is in any way bad, on the contrary. Congratulations to a first class shaver.

The first Puma razors were made in 1922, when the Lauterjung family changed the brand name from Tiger to Puma. Puma has ever since been a manufacturer of first class knives. Their razor designs have always been timeless. It's hard to see if a Puma razor is 30 or 90 years old. The design is also very clean and elegant and the quality is among the very best there is. This doesn't include the Puma razors that are made today, but the ones that were made up until the late 1980's. My personal opinion is that the Puma razors combine the best of razors made in Solingen and Eskilstuna. That's about as high praise I can give.

Your Puma 88 seems to be nearly unused. The 88 was one of the more common ones, but that doesn't mean that it is in any way bad, on the contrary. Congratulations to a first class shaver.
Thank you (as always) for the history lesson. The stories of where these razors come from is one of the things ive really enjoyed about this hobby.

Unfortunate it will be so hard to get a clear time of when it was made, but that wont dim my enjoyment of it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Very good score at that price. Grrrrrreat razor. Sure there is some hone wear, but it is not a dealbreaker. There is 100 years of use left in that razor, I would guess.

Thank you (as always) for the history lesson. The stories of where these razors come from is one of the things ive really enjoyed about this hobby.

Unfortunate it will be so hard to get a clear time of when it was made, but that wont dim my enjoyment of it.
You'll be able to find the age, the Puma logo changed over the years. It's just a matter of linking the logo to the correct time interval. I've seen an article, but I'm too lazy too try to find it. Here's a link to get you started:
Puma and Tiger razors, and the mindset of a straight razor collector

Top Bottom