What's new

Finally found my daily driver bourbon...what's yours?

If its rye, then it's 40 Creek, if it's bourbon, then it's Ezra Brooks 90 proof. Both with a big ice cube.

I didn't find this thread when it was new - thanks for bringing it back!

Like many others have mentioned, I find many of the BiB offerings from Heaven Hill to be excellent daily sippers. My personal preference is JTS Brown in that regard. HOWEVER - the OP mentioned a price point of ~$30. My favorite pour (currently) is WT Rare Breed - which I just recently found for ~$35. I wouldn't want barrel proof to be my daily pour, but at that price it ALMOST fits.

I have about 40 bottles right now,, but I consistently go to a few very regularly:

- anything from smoke wagon. They don't make a bad bottle
- russells reserve private
- frank august
- penelope architect

EW Single Barrel hits above its' pricepoint, but I often have Buffalo Trace around. I tend to prefer rye for a spicier/drier finish, with Dickel hitting a good price for the quality--although Rittenhouse is also excellent.

My bar is also always stocked with:
Gordon's Gin (the best cheap gin on the market IMHO)
Jimador Blanco 100% de Agave (or Altos)
Campari (for Negroni's or spritzes)
Cynar (50:50 tequilan and cynar is a great shooter)
Fernet Branca or Angostura Amaro
Green Chartreuse

Another Evan Williams fan. Both the black label and BiB. Admittedly I am more of a beer drinker, so I don't drink spirits very much. When I do, it's a toss up between a solid blended scotch (occasionally I'll spring for a decent speyside single malt) or a decent bourbon.

Because I rarely drink whiskey, I can't say that I would have a daily driver. But if I did it would be EW BiB. Probably throw some wild turkey in there on occasion to mix things up.

I haven't had a sip of it in ~18 mo., but when I had a daily driver, it was either Evan Williams BiB or Old Tub Bottled-in-Bond. The former is easy enough to find, + a screamingly good value, easily the best in bourbon. The latter is a little harder to find, but also insanely great.

True fact: the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897 was one of the most important laws in US history. Long story made short, the legitimate distillers, led by Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor, Jr., literally asked the Federal government for some sort oversight, in exchange for a mark of quality. This was to effectively differentiate themselves from so-called "bourbon" whiskies that often were nothing more than poison, such as things like gasoline or wood alcohol colored with tobacco juice. By providing the requested regulation, the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897 established a precedent without which the more-famous Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 would have been impossible. To this very day, the Bottled-in-Bond Act provides for some of the strictest regulation of spirits in the world.

And, as a happy side effect, it makes for one helluva dram. :) My Belfast Brother Albie agrees 100% with that assessment, having come to it with me over many nights sitting outside of his place in Germantown, Philadelphia sharing a fifth of Evan Williams + its Bonded Brethren.

-Z

Evan Williams BIB is always my fall back if nothing else is jumping out at me, but will say I've been picking up their 1783 a lot more recently.

Four Roses single barrel is another common acquisition.

Prior to the almost doubling of its price a few years ago, Henry McKenna single barrel was a great value assume $30-35. Now I can't find it and if I do it's around $55.

Top Bottom