What's new

Finally found my daily driver bourbon...what's yours?

Let me say I'm very new to the world of whiskey and bourbon. But, over the course of much googling and trying about 10 different bottles of bourbon (mostly small batch), I think I've finally settle on Knob Creek as my daily driver (Though Four Roses Small Batch is awful close). I usually only have one bottle on hand at a time, give or take, and like to keep things in the under $30 ballpark, as well as fairly available (So far Total Wine has been where I get most of my bourbon).

It took me about 3 different brands and halfway through a bottle of Maker's (which I wouldn't buy again, personal preference) that I realized I like a good bit of rye in my bourbon.

I couldn't necessarily tell you the exact flavors I like in Knob Creek compared to the others, but I do know it's become my go to when I'm out, and soon be my go to at home.

What do you reach for on a daily basis? Is there anything I'm missing out on at this price point?

For reference, I've tried the following:
-Four Roses Yellow
-Four Roses Small Batch
-Buffalo Trace
-Evan Williams Single Barrel
-Knob Creek
-Wild Turkey 101
-Maker's Mark
-Eagle Rare
-Woodford Reserve

proxy.php

For my daily cocktail it's Ezra Brookes (90 proof). For special occasions it's Elijah Craigh 12 yo (also 90 proof).

Chris

I don't really have a daily driver per se ... I don't drink everyday ... but if I'm looking for a reasonably priced bourbon that's good on a rock for sipping or good in a cocktail I'd opt for Wild Turkey 101 every day.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
And I can't tell the difference between those two and Elijah Craig small batch. All three are great.

I'm new to drinking (only 23) and bourbon tastes like Bourbon to me.

My taste isn't refined enough to taste "vanilla, clove, and a hint of tobacco smoke" (for example) like some people can.

With all that being said Evan Williams black label is my daily. I almost exclusively mix it with ginger beer.

I just cannot sip whiskey and enjoy it. Now tequila is an entirely different story

Too many options to stay with a daily bourbon. I enjoy the decision process each evening. Am I leaning towards smooth, spicy, or sweet. What's for dinner? Single? Double? Do I have something new to try? I've got 30+ different bottles to choose from, and only a couple of those are not opened. Now, if I was to choose a daily it'd be Blanton's or Four Roses Single Barrel

I'm new to drinking (only 23) and bourbon tastes like Bourbon to me.

My taste isn't refined enough to taste "vanilla, clove, and a hint of tobacco smoke" (for example) like some people can.

With all that being said Evan Williams black label is my daily. I almost exclusively mix it with ginger beer.

I just cannot sip whiskey and enjoy it. Now tequila is an entirely different story

Try it on the rocks, or even with a few drops of water ... I'm 44, fairly new to the bourbon "straight" game and I've found, at least for me, drinking it on one very large ice cube is my preferred way to imbibe

At your price point, I agree that Knob Creek is an excellent choice. Prices vary by state, of course, so here in the control state of Oregon Knob Creek comes in at just above the $30 mark. In the same "family" (Beam), I also like Jim Beam Black Label, which is the same mashbill as KC, but selected from (presumably) somewhat less mature barrels. The family resemblance to KC is quite apparent, albeit with a bit less complexity, and it is a good value at about $10 less per 750. Of the other houses, I'm a Heaven Hill fan, and around the KC price point, I especially like Henry McKenna Single Barrel. Although it is harder to find and a few bucks more, Elmer T. Lee is even better. You might also try Old Forester Signature from the Brown Forman house. I didn't see it on your list, but it is a worthy contender and features the higher rye flavor profile that you prefer.

Top Bottom