What's new

Finally decided on an old type

I’ve just finally made up my mind on buying a 1916 gillette single ring old type. I usually rotate between my Muhle R41 and Ikon B1 Standard. But tonight to mix it up I’m going to try taking my Ikon Tech for a whirl. Which I don’t use as often. So I do like efficient razors. So I’m just hoping that it’ll fit right in with those guys as far as efficiency and overall good shave. Hopefully it’ll come in soon so I can try it out see how it shaves. Does anyone have old types that they have and enjoy using and know if it’d possibly stand alongside those other razors alright?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm a big fan of Single Rings (but admittedly not a big fan of the R41 -- I don't know the Ikon B1). I found my SR's (I've got a few) to be less aggressive (i.e., less bitey) than the R41 (at least for me); but I also find the SR decently efficient. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Yeah for me the big thing going for the R41 is its efficiency. But it is definitely somewhat rough around the edges though as far as how it shaves. But the B1 Standard is also efficient I think and fairly blade forward but more comfortable than the R41. At least that’s just me. It’s worth trying anyways I think. And the only reason the Ikon Tech gets a little less use is because you just have to really focus because it’s probably the most blade forward safety razor I have and use. I think I just haven’t mastered it yet though. Because I know people talk about how comfortable of shave they can get with it. But that will come in time. But it’ll hopefully come soon so I can try it and I’ll definitely post something.

I’ve just finally made up my mind on buying a 1916 gillette single ring old type. I usually rotate between my Muhle R41 and Ikon B1 Standard. But tonight to mix it up I’m going to try taking my Ikon Tech for a whirl. Which I don’t use as often. So I do like efficient razors. So I’m just hoping that it’ll fit right in with those guys as far as efficiency and overall good shave. Hopefully it’ll come in soon so I can try it out see how it shaves. Does anyone have old types that they have and enjoy using and know if it’d possibly stand alongside those other razors alright?
I have a 1917 old style Gillette that was purchased over 40 years ago for $2:00 at a Goodwill store. It looks nearly new, and is still used on occasion.
It's a nice little razor that I would classify on the mild side. :001_rolle

I have four Old Types. They are a historically interesting part of my collection. But the only one I enjoy shaving with is my ABC pocket edition.

Reactions: CCS
Yeah I’ve heard that those abc pocket edition razors are pretty good. Do they shave that much better than a single ring? And I think I saw one on Etsy with a ball end handle with like a flower design on it. Would that sound about right. Because eventually if I might look into possibly trying one at some point in the future whenever I’m able to get the funds to buy something again.

I have all three razors.

The R41 and the IKON B1 standard have q traditional DE razor feel while shaving. You'll feel less or more aggressive blade feel depending on the geometry, how tight the blade is held.

The single ring and old types in general feel unique as being silent assasins. Very smooth shavers with no blade chatter, unless you get a bad copy where the top cap doesn't sit flush against the base plate due to geometry issues, typically "legs" at corners due to razor cap damage due to fall or any such.

You'll love the old type for an extremely efficient shave .

I have all three razors.

The R41 and the IKON B1 standard have q traditional DE razor feel while shaving. You'll feel less or more aggressive blade feel depending on the geometry, how tight the blade is held.

The single ring and old types in general feel unique as being silent assasins. Very smooth shavers with no blade chatter, unless you get a bad copy where the top cap doesn't sit flush against the base plate due to geometry issues, typically "legs" at corners due to razor cap damage due to fall or any such.

You'll love the old type for an extremely efficient shave .
Yeah I’m hoping so. I’ve read some good things about them so far. So I’m hoping that it’ll be smooth and efficient like you and others say. It might even move into the top spot in the rotation maybe if it is.

My razor used daily on a three pass basis is a Old Type Pocket Edition. I'm using it with a shim to give it a blade gap. Today a Feather blade was in it. Great shave, very close but no nicks or whatever.

As said before you should take care that there is no "smile" of the blade. If so you will not enjoy the shave...

See following thread for tweaking Old Types:

Sami

My razor used daily on a three pass basis is a Old Type Pocket Edition. I'm using it with a shim to give it a blade gap. Today a Feather blade was in it. Great shave, very close but no nicks or whatever.

As said before you should take care that there is no "smile" of the blade. If so you will not enjoy the shave...

See following thread for tweaking Old Types:

Sami
Yeah I’ve read that if the teeth aren’t straight then it’ll cause a pretty bad shave. Which is what kind of worried me about buying it. But I guess according to the seller and pictures the teeth are straight on it. So hopefully when it comes in the mail they look alright or else I’d be kind of upset. But straightening them out like in that link could be a possibility too.

Finally received my razor in the mail this morning. When I get home tonight after work I’ll have to double check the teeth and am hoping that they’re all straight. Otherwise it’ll be somewhat disappointing if there are any that are bent.

I've used needle nose pliers to do that on a Sheraton.
Nice I didn’t think of trying something like that. Thank you for the heads up on that. There might just be one or two just slightly off. But from the looks of it it’s not by very much. I might try doing that this weekend.

Top Bottom