What's new

Finally bought an Ark

duke762

Rose to the occasion
That's a doozy Huffcl31! How flat is it? Mine were a little out when new, with one side worse than the other. Jeez...It's 1:40 AM and after seeing that, I want to sharpen something!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8X3X0.5”

Thanks. Same size as my Arkansas hard black. Mine came from Sharpening Supplies, but it was mined and finished by Dan's, according to SS's email to me; I was shopping for price on a Dan's.

Arky.CreditCard.1200.640.11-1-18.JPG

Here it is with my little credit card sized gizmo which I bought and received but can't find. Where did I put that little sucker?

I've read all sorts of things comparing the hard black and translucent stones. Norton says their translucent is the bee's knees, and I'm sure they're right, but Dan's says the hard black is finer. I doubt there's enough difference to shake a stick at, but I'm not remotely an expert and haven't even ever seen a translucent. The stones intrigue me (and I'm not alone in that).

Happy shaves,

Jim

That's a doozy Huffcl31! How flat is it? Mine were a little out when new, with one side worse than the other. Jeez...It's 1:40 AM and after seeing that, I want to sharpen something!

It came pretty much flat it was took up to 800 Sic this Arky is super glassy and very hard. I honed my TI on it yesterday, incredible edge. This one is Finer and Harder than my Dan’s Black Arky.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It came pretty much flat it was took up to 800 Sic this Arky is super glassy and very hard. I honed my TI on it yesterday, incredible edge. This one is Finer and Harder than my Dan’s Black Arky.

Interesting...

Dan's Black Ark or Dan's Hard Black Ark? Don't you just hate the nomenclature? Very confusing.

Which translucent did you buy? Where'd you buy it?

Interesting...

Dan's Black Ark or Dan's Hard Black Ark? Don't you just hate the nomenclature? Very confusing.

Which translucent did you buy? Where'd you buy it?

The Dan’s Genuine Black Surgical (Ultra Fine) is the one I’m talking about it’s not as smooth as the Translucent one nor as hard. That’s not dishing the others I’m just talking with mine. The Translucent one feels more like a real high class polisher. I bought it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IZQTQM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Dan’s Genuine Black Surgical (Ultra Fine) is the one I’m talking about it’s not as smooth as the Translucent one nor as hard. That’s not dishing the others I’m just talking with mine. The Translucent one feels more like a real high class polisher. I bought it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IZQTQM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Ah, yes, I see you did your shopping homework. That's a great price for them. I'd discovered that source but didn't know the hardware store sold on Amazon.

Let's keep it secret.

Happy shaves,

Jim

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
B4D9B609-7FE8-4FE4-85EC-EE21C6D45AD9.jpeg
18C87305-AA35-4149-90E2-47F9B5DF1D58.jpeg
7EAFA283-709C-47F7-B6C7-B0685DC58B7B.jpeg
A couple months ago this stone popped up on ebay for a 7 day auction. It was listed as a coticule but it was pretty obvious that it was a primitive translucent (butterscotch at that). I really wanted it but was out bid in the last few seconds. Well, it ends up that my brother bought it and gave it to me for Christmas. Talk about a surprise! It's a killer old trans Ark that's been hammered out on 5 sides and has a 1/4 inch dish on the working surface. I don't think I've ever seen a trans that's dished this badly. Someone really loved this one.

David,
Knew it had a dish to it but wow that thing has been well loved and used. Great gift. Enjoy it. Merry Christmas.

View attachment 937858 View attachment 937859 View attachment 937860 A couple months ago this stone popped up on ebay for a 7 day auction. It was listed as a coticule but it was pretty obvious that it was a primitive translucent (butterscotch at that). I really wanted it but was out bid in the last few seconds. Well, it ends up that my brother bought it and gave it to me for Christmas. Talk about a surprise! It's a killer old trans Ark that's been hammered out on 5 sides and has a 1/4 inch dish on the working surface. I don't think I've ever seen a trans that's dished this badly. Someone really loved this one.
Teach me something about this stone, please. Where would this stone fit into the honing progression? Nice gift and happy holidays.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
View attachment 937858 View attachment 937859 View attachment 937860 A couple months ago this stone popped up on ebay for a 7 day auction. It was listed as a coticule but it was pretty obvious that it was a primitive translucent (butterscotch at that). I really wanted it but was out bid in the last few seconds. Well, it ends up that my brother bought it and gave it to me for Christmas. Talk about a surprise! It's a killer old trans Ark that's been hammered out on 5 sides and has a 1/4 inch dish on the working surface. I don't think I've ever seen a trans that's dished this badly. Someone really loved this one.

Real nice primitive. Going to level it out?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Nice. Very nice!

What a lovely stone and an even better story. You and your brother are doubly blessed today. Is that a wooden box to enclose it?

I think the stone is a beautiful color! It should be a great finisher.

Happy shaves,

Jim

David:
Merry Christmas!
That's such a great story, do you plan on lapping out the dish or just using as is?
Have a great day.

Frank

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Real nice primitive. Going to level it out?
Thanks, Tim!

Nice. Very nice!

What a lovely stone and an even better story. You and your brother are doubly blessed today. Is that a wooden box to enclose it?
Thank you.
I think the stone is a beautiful color! It should be a great finisher.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks, Jim.
Yes the previous owner made a really nice custom fit box for it.

David:
Merry Christmas!
That's such a great story, do you plan on lapping out the dish or just using as is?
Have a great day.

Frank
Thank you, Frank. I haven't made my mind up about lapping it yet. I have plenty of arks, so part of me wants to keep this one as is and just appreciate how long it took to get to this shape.

Top Bottom