What's new

Finally attempted my first manual shave

28 years old and fully new to manual shaving, and I finally got one under the belt with a Rockwell 6S. Some history if you want a story: My dad got me a crappy Philips rotary shaver when I was in the 8th grade where only the whole rotary assembly pivoted a few degrees. Needless to say the flip-trimmer on the back ATG did a better job shaving than the actual shaver. So after a decade of poor shaves and having a job post-university, I bought a Philips 9000 to see if shaving could get better than that. To no one's surprise, a 200 dollar rotary shaver did a better job than a 50 dollar drug store one (go figure). However, I realized that I probably could go for a foil shaver for a better shave, so I ditched the rotary (or so I thought) and bought a Braun 9. That thing can get really close; but of course the hairs on my neck grow in every which way, so I need to use a combination of both of them for the stubborn blonde flat hairs and whatever I need the Philips for doesn't get very close.

So, I was on course for a natural evolution for something closer in the electric realm. Next purchase would most likely have been an Arc 6 once they're not 400 USD and not once did I consider shaving with a razor blade (cuz razor blades are spooky). But I got an ad for a Henson AL13 promising a much easier go of it and after considering how much alcohol I have to put on my face to dry out my skin to get a closer electric shave, I caved. While Henson got me on the train. after perusing this forum and YouTube, what did I do? Buy a Rockwell 6S in Matte Black instead because I'm someone that likes tinkering settings to make something right, enjoy the flexibility of adjustment to get started with a lighter shave, and I wanted to buy something made in the USA or my motherland of Canada. The 6S ticked all the boxes.

Finally got it in the mail and took it on a spin for the first time today: a triple-pass on R2 with an Astra SP from my handy sampler, a Fendrihan Charcoal shave cream and a less-expensive German-made Fendrihan badger brush. I was little shaky on keeping the angle and there's still some spots here and there (namely on the neck under the ear) that I didn't get, but I didn't nick myself at all (probably because the setting is so mild). Lemme tell ya it feels good to actually feel the skin on my neck in every direction rather than have the flat whiskers that none of my electric shavers could get in a hundred passes in any direction.

Barring my jaw line, my weirdly defined butt-chin, and that spot on my neck? Everything is smooth as hell given what I'm used to. If there's a thread or previous post for tips on what to do in keeping angle and the proper approach with a strong jawline and/or very round butt-chin? I'm all ears. My previous method for electric shaving of stretching my skin on my jawline up seems to be not a good fit with a more wet face.

Thanks to all who I read for research here (I could not remember names even if I tried) and I'm sure I'll be lurking and checking in. Maybe I may make the evolution to a Straight Razor with time, but damn razors are spooky.

Last edited:
28 years old and fully new to manual shaving, and I finally got one under the belt with a Rockwell 6S. Some history if you want a story: My dad got me a crappy Philips rotary shaver when I was in the 8th grade where only the whole rotary assembly pivoted a few degrees. Needless to say the flip-trimmer on the back ATG did a better job shaving than the actual shaver. So after a decade of poor shaves and having a job post-university, I bought a Philips 9000 to see if shaving could get better than that. To no one's surprise, a 200 dollar rotary shaver did a better job than a 50 dollar drug store one (go figure). However, I realized that I probably could go for a foil shaver for a better shave, so I ditched the rotary (or so I thought) and bought a Braun 9. That thing can get really close; but of course the hairs on my neck grow in every which way, so I need to use a combination of both of them for the stubborn blonde flat hairs and whatever I need the Philips for doesn't get very close.

So, I was on course for a natural evolution for something closer in the electric realm. Next purchase would most likely have been an Arc 6 and not once did I consider shaving with a razor blade (cuz razor blades are spooky). But I got an ad for a Henson AL13 promising a much easier go of it and after considering how much alcohol I have to put on my face to dry out my skin to get a closer electric shave, I caved. While Henson got me on the train. after perusing this forum and YouTube, what did I do? Buy a Rockwell 6S in Matte Black instead because I'm someone that likes tinkering settings to make something right, enjoy the flexibility of adjustment to get started with a lighter shave, and I wanted to buy something made in the USA or my motherland of Canada. The 6S ticked all the boxes.

Finally got it in the mail and took it on a spin for the first time today: a triple-pass on R2 with an Astra SP from my handy sampler, a Fendrihan Charcoal shave cream and a less-expensive German-made Fendrihan badger brush. I was little shaky on keeping the angle and there's still some spots here and there (namely on the neck under the ear) that I didn't get, but I didn't nick myself at all (probably because the setting is so mild). Lemme tell ya it feels good to actually feel the skin on my neck in every direction rather than have the flat whiskers that none of my electric shavers could get in a hundred passes in any direction.

Barring my jaw line, my weirdly defined butt-chin, and that spot on my neck? Everything is smooth as hell given what I'm used to. If there's a thread or previous post for tips on what to do in keeping angle and the proper approach with a strong jawline and/or very round butt-chin? I'm all ears. My previous method for electric shaving of stretching my skin on my jawline up seems to be not a good fit with a more wet face.

Thanks to all who I read for research here (I could not remember names even if I tried) and I'm sure I'll be lurking and checking in. Maybe I may make the evolution to a Straight Razor with time, but damn razors are spooky.
Welcome to Badger and Blade!

Nice account there. It may have been a good thing that you skipped using a cartridge system which pivots, so with your 6S experience, you figured out that your brain and motor functions ARE the pivot. Good that you kept at a constant angle. Sounds like you got a very encouraging first result.

When I started shaving the the late 70's I used a BIC white non-pivoting disposable. Single edge with the orange cap. A vicious biter if you didn't figure out angle. I went to the BIC orange 'sensitive' from the 90's, and only used a fusion for about 12 years starting in 2006.

My motor memory had remembered using an angle, and it really jump started my technique when I first started DE shaving about 20 months ago.

Last edited:
Welcome to Badger and Blade!

Nice account there. It may have been a good thing that you skipped using a cartridge system which pivots, so with your 6S experience, you figured out that your brain and motor functions ARE the pivot. Good that you kept at a constant angle. Sounds like you got a very encouraging first result.

When I started shaving the the late 70's I used a BIC non-pivoting disposable. Single edge with the orange cap. A vicious biter if you didn't figure out angle. I went to the BIC orange from the 80's, and only used a fusion for about 12 years starting in 2006.

My motor memory had remembered using an angle, and it really jump started my technique when I first started DE shaving about 20 months ago.
I do remember finding all those disposable Bics being around the house since my mother used them all the time for her legs when I was a kid. Definitely had no desire to use those at all at any point. Is it because my mom liked them and my dad liked his electric? Probably. But razors were always a bit spooky until today. Haha.

Thanks for the welcome, though! :)

Welcome! You started with a good razor and took a good approach. In no time you'll detect and mow down those bristly spots. Don't forget to ask questions and seek advice; there's a lot of knowledge and experience here on B&B.

Welcome to B&B with a great start to DE shaving going straight for stainless steel!

Keep working at your technique for now to get everything dialled in so you can get smoothness all over.

And simply enjoy the process and progress!

Cheers,

Guido

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Maybe I may make the evolution to a Straight Razor with time, but damn razors are spooky.
Welcome to B&B from Australia.

Definitely not recommended. Read this first:

Welcome to B&B, come on over to the Henson razor club... we promise we won't make sure you regret not getting a Henson! :devil:
(Or skip a few steps and jump down the rabbit hole directly above)

Welcome! I enjoyed the story of your journey. Come on in to the wonderful world of razors, blades, creams, soaps, and brushes.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Welcome to the best place on the internet! Thanks for the story it was well written and a good read as well. The only thing this place likes more than a good story, is a good story with pictures!

Top Bottom