What's new

Finally.... an actual definition of "silvertip"

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hmmm... Should I? Shall I? Will I? Sure, why not. Some very interesting observations here and the thread deserves to get a little air.

ya, still as valuable as the first day it was post. I've no problem making good information easily available to the recent users... who knows, maybe something new comes this wicked way?

Just as long as no one mentions "synthetic". Since the original post, there is now a silvertip synthetic...oops I've just done it.

So... for someone only several months into shaving with a decent badger brush... does this mean that comparing between brands by hair type is often not useful?

Meaning that a Simpson Best Badger and a Thater Best Badger may or may not be comparable?

Meaningless sentences...?
  • I recommend a Best Badger brush for you.
  • I have to have a Silvertip because i need a really soft brush.
  • Silvertips are better than Super Badgers.
Meaningful sentences...?
  • I find that X brand's Finest Badger is just as good as Z brand's Silvertip Badger.
  • My BillyBob Best Badger brush is nice, but I want something a bit softer. I like the brand, so I think I'll stick within that and try his Super Badger.

So... for someone only several months into shaving with a decent badger brush... does this mean that comparing between brands by hair type is often not useful?

Meaning that a Simpson Best Badger and a Thater Best Badger may or may not be comparable?

Meaningful sentences...?
  • I find that X brand's Finest Badger is just as good as Z brand's Silvertip Badger.
  • My BillyBob Best Badger brush is nice, but I want something a bit softer. I like the brand, so I think I'll stick within that and try his Super Badger.
Glad I ran across this old thread. Helps to somewhat keep things in perspective as far as brushes go. Seems to be more about aesthetics than performance after a certain price point. Like most things I suppose.

Happy to find this thread! I had my suspicions after a very lucky find last week, but after reading this, I'm convinced that badgers costing more than synthetics, are just not worth my money. However, I completely agree that if something catches your interest, such as a gorgeous handle or knot, and you're willing to pay the premium, then go for it! There are several handles I want, but they come with knots and a hefty price tag. This hobby of ours.... sheesh

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

Meaningful sentences...?
Yup, it means that now and has meant that for as long as they have been marketing brushes; but naming of badger grades is really a pretty new thing. I never even new there were Silvertip or High Mountain Whites or Finest Badger or Manchurian until recently. For most of my shaving brush buying life the differences were Nylon or Boar or Pure Badger or Cased Badger (badger outside boar or nylon inside).

Some modern Silvertip and High Mountain White and Manchurian as well as some old Pure Badger
proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Nylon? Did they mix that in boar or badger or both?
They made all nylon brushes but also what was sold as cased badger which would be an outer layer of badger and then boar or nylon in the center.

Four Peerless brushes. Far left is nylon and far right "Cased with Pure Badger" but mostly a very soft boar:
proxy.php

Top Bottom