What's new

Finally able to hone my own razors

Hey Guys,
I been quite busy for a while so i thought it was about time to post again.

Some time ago I got a set of Edge pro 1"x6" Shapton Pro Stones (220, 320, 1k, 2k, 5k, 8k, 15k plus some DMT) from Tom and I have been practicing on my poor straights since then.:w00t:

Today I am happy to say that I can now about 9 times out of 10 get a edge that meet my minimum requirements for a decent shave when starting at setting the bevel.

I do the full progression up to 15k and finish with some compounds from Ken. I have tried 10k and 12k edges from Tom, but they have not really met my minimum requirements for a nice shave, so I ended up with 15k... Now If I can win the lottery Ill get a 30k stone as well...

I still have a long way to go to getting the really good edge, a quick look in the microscope tells me that - but at least i do not HAVE to send my straights away for honing anymore :001_tongu

On the other hand I definitely will send half a dozen of my favorites to Tom for honing up to 30k. Just because I can get a working edge doesn't mean that I do not want better!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That's great! It does feel good to shave with a blade you honed yourself. I looked at the full sized shapton set, and boy, really costs a pretty penny.

It sure feels great to shave when I honed myself, no doubt about that. For my own part I didn't even look at the full sized set. After all the EP sized 30k stone is almost 200USD alone, don't want to imagine the cost of a full set!!!
That said I really like honing on a slim stone compared to the full width Norton set I have. I feel that I have much better control of what I am doing, the only drawback being that I sometimes have to do an ridiculous amount of laps on the smaller area of the EP...

That's great! It does feel good to shave with a blade you honed yourself. I looked at the full sized shapton set, and boy, really costs a pretty penny.
But on the other hand time is money & those Shaptons really gets the job done fast, with an impeccable edge as the end result...

But on the other hand time is money & those Shaptons really gets the job done fast, with an impeccable edge as the end result...

Ehmm, I have to admit that despite your and Toms teachings I am quite far from the impeccable edge. More like I just found the map to it...

Ehmm, I have to admit that despite your and Toms teachings I am quite far from the impeccable edge. More like I just found the map to it...
Keep at it, you only have a couple of thousand more blades to do before you're there:001_tongu

Great to here you're making progress!
Soon there'll be local mushroom-clouds over Hong-Kong too, who could've guessed :w00t:

Ah, only about 980 razors to go!

But I better stop before the mushroom-clouds start to shape, being on the border of China makes me think it might become a sensitive issue ;)

Congrats! Listen to Tom and Jens. they know their stuff. However, try new things yourself... If it doesn't work, then you can always go back and you may have pissed Tom of at the same time. A win-win situation so to speak :D

I put chosera slurry on a Shapton stone as an experiment a few times. That was a lively discussion :D LOL

Congrats! Listen to Tom and Jens. they know their stuff. However, try new things yourself... If it doesn't work, then you can always go back and you may have pissed Tom of at the same time. A win-win situation so to speak :D

I put chosera slurry on a Shapton stone as an experiment a few times. That was a lively discussion :D LOL

Yep, could not have said it better myself. Eventually you'll find a way to hone that is your own & the best part of that is that then you will hone your razors better then any man alive to suit your own face!

Well, thats the fun part it seems ;)

Right now there will however be a short break in razor honing school. I need to start restoration of my catch from Sweden and at least remove the rust so it doesn't get worse (after that there will be lots of honing to do again!
Ill also want to find the time to play with my edge pro on the kitchen knives to keep the second half of the family happy with my expenses on sharpening equipment ;) Won't aim for shaving sharp cleavers though, despite the closeness to people as Tom in Taiwan I think I can resist that ;)

Top Bottom