What's new

Finally - a Synthetic Winner!

If by "we" you mean YOU--since you are in direct communication with Muhle, beyond simple email exchange and are testing prototype brushes--then yes, please let Muhle know we are craving brushes like those prototypes!

particularly the flatter denser 25mm with oversized handle!

Finally got my FS custom Synthetic in today. Ordered on the 24th I believe, so not too terrible, especially from China for $28.

I got one identical to OP's but with a butterscotch handle. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it has amazingly soft tips (but not quite HIS soft) like all synthetics, and stiffer-than-boar backbone. This thing is going to handle soaps like nothing I've ever seen.

I'll post some pics once I get the chance.

Also, it came with a brush stand that is FAR too small for the brush...lol

Finally got my FS custom Synthetic in today. Ordered on the 24th I believe, so not too terrible, especially from China for $28.

I got one identical to OP's but with a butterscotch handle. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it has amazingly soft tips (but not quite HIS soft) like all synthetics, and stiffer-than-boar backbone. This thing is going to handle soaps like nothing I've ever seen.

I'll post some pics once I get the chance.

Also, it came with a brush stand that is FAR too small for the brush...lol

My brush arrived today. It's quite soft to the touch and has a nice backbone. I look forward to using it tomorrow morning.

At the same time, I'm a bit annoyed: wrong loft size (~60 mm) and the brush doesn't fit the stand. Since I don't have any other brush holders, this presents a bit of a problem. A few millimeters doesn't make much of a difference to me, though, so this isn't a deal breaker!

EDIT: I sent an email to Ian. Apparently there's only one stand size, so every 28 mm knot brush won't fit the stand provided.

Last edited:
I got mine a few days ago, same as the OP, had to file the stand to make the brush fit.
Can't seem to get a good lather built up on it, hopefully it will improve with use.

Well, I got mine a couple of weeks back, but with a recent kidney stone, and some business travel where I took a week of from shaving, it didn't see any use.

I have used it the past few days, and this thing is great. I love the size and backbone. A great brush for $26 for sure. It is not as nice as my Thater 2 band, but it makes me want a bigger Thater 2 band. this is my first brush of this size, and I am a big brush guy for sure. Compared to the $155 for my Thater, this is the better value for sure. It is definitely going to be my travel brush. Now I need a bigger badger for daily use. I'm glad I can afford the luxury of a big badger, but if I couldn't, I think I'd be pretty happy with this one.

Face lathering with Mike's natural and this brush is a joy.

I need to read some more Samjax brush reviews to learn of my next brush. I am thinking the big Thater 2 band, but maybe a Rooney. I have a birthday coming up, and I am really difficult to shop for. It makes me happy to give my family some ideas like a new brush. :)

I can vouch that the synth white tip is possibly one of the softest brushes I own.

That FS site is very good. I take we'll no longer have to go through the bay?

Last edited:
I recently decided to plunge into the world of synthetic brushes, having already accumulated a nice assortment of badgers, boars, and horse-hairs.

After careful deliberation, I settled upon the Frank Shaving synthetic 'silvertip' ... I was told this newest version of the Frank brushes are 'Muhle-like' as far as synthetics, but cheaper.
In a manic state on EBay one evening, I settled upon the 24mm brush ... in 4 colors (horn, butterscotch, ivory, and black).
The brushes arrived app. 4 weeks later. Packaging was thorough and the brushes were nicely presented in individual black cardboard boxes, wrapped in felt cloth. As a bonus, a styptic pencil was thrown in with each of the brushes.

Appearance and finishing : outstanding considering the price-point of these brushes ... the handle is solid in feel.
Feel : tips are luxuriously soft and the backbone is not floppy.
Loading : effortless
Lathering : excellent with both 'circular' and 'paint-brush' motions ... 3 easy passes without having to re-load.

Overall, these brushes are exceptional in terms of performance ... and are an incredible value ... at $25. They perform as well as badgers and boars costing significantly more.

YMMV ... but Frank Shaving synthetics are now top-tier brushes in my shaving den.

$CSC_0861.jpg
$CSC_0862.jpg
$CSC_0863.jpg

I recently decided to plunge into the world of synthetic brushes, having already accumulated a nice assortment of badgers, boars, and horse-hairs.

After careful deliberation, I settled upon the Frank Shaving synthetic 'silvertip' ... I was told this newest version of the Frank brushes are 'Muhle-like' as far as synthetics, but cheaper.
In a manic state on EBay one evening, I settled upon the 24mm brush ... in 4 colors (horn, butterscotch, ivory, and black).
The brushes arrived app. 4 weeks later. Packaging was thorough and the brushes were nicely presented in individual black cardboard boxes, wrapped in felt cloth. As a bonus, a styptic pencil was thrown in with each of the brushes.

Appearance and finishing : outstanding considering the price-point of these brushes ... the handle is solid in feel.
Feel : tips are luxuriously soft and the backbone is not floppy.
Loading : effortless
Lathering : excellent with both 'circular' and 'paint-brush' motions ... 3 easy passes without having to re-load.

Overall, these brushes are exceptional in terms of performance ... and are an incredible value ... at $25. They perform as well as badgers and boars costing significantly more.

YMMV ... but Frank Shaving synthetics are now top-tier brushes in my shaving den.

I have the black, butterscotch, and horn. When I got the horn & more recently butterscotch, they were special orders. Smart move if he made them standards--they are my two favorites.

Did you order from Ian Tang or another vendor? I bought three from Ian, and a fourth from another vendor which had a different feeling knot.

3 of the 4 brushes were special orders ... I ordered from another ebay vendor presumably affiliated with Ian Tang since he was able to accommodate my requests quickly.

had my first shave with a Frank synthetic Faux Ivory Richmond with 24mm knot today and gotta say I had a very good experience. it is soft yet held water and lather very well. love it! (also from iantang - now got my eye on a 28mm)

had my first shave with a Frank synthetic Faux Ivory Richmond with 24mm knot today and gotta say I had a very good experience. it is soft yet held water and lather very well. love it! (also from iantang - now got my eye on a 28mm)

I've had a few FS brushes, and that model is definitely the best. Agree with everything you said, and it has a permanent home in my rotation.

Anyone have experience with the Omega synthetics? More specifically the travel size. I'm trying to decide between the Wee Scott, Vulfix travel size, and the omega Mighty Midget, and Lil Runt in boar or synthetic.

I tested the Syntex and the Artificial Badger last year.
Was less than impressed by the Syntex, but liked the Artificial badger.
I can imagine it being a nice travel brush, just like the smaller 19mm silvertip fibers.

Placed an order a few days ago for a FS synthetic 28/56 and a 23/51. It's going to be fun comparing both since they have identical materials but different shape and density.

Top Bottom