What's new

Finally - a Synthetic Winner!

Are you a face or bowl latherer?

I want the 28/54 but I'd love the faux horn, which i think can only be made with a 26mm knot (max size?). I'll ask about a 26/52 if that's the case.

I was in the same boat as you, except I wanted the faux ivory handle. I ended up ordering a 26mm knot in a fan shape and the 52mm loft. I have been gone for a while so I will get the mail from the post office tomorrow and I would expect the brush to be waiting for me.

My 28x55 butterscotch arrived today.

First impressions are good in terms of general impression, quality, heft and density.
This brush arrived fast, after perfect service and communication with mr Tang.
It was well packed, and came with a stand that in my opinion is too small for this diameter.

The color itself is beautiful, though a bit bland for butterscotch.
I do not have real butterscotch but as the comparison with Bullgooses Vie Long and Rudy's LE show it is a lighter shade.

I also made a few quick iPad shots with some SOCs and a couple of Simpsons.

I am really curious to see how this synthetic compares to the competition and how good a brush in general it is!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 173
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 175
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 174
After a brief mix up, my brush should be here within 2 days. I'll be very anxious to try it out and report back.

I expect mine to be here, but I shipped to my work address, and I have been out of work for over a week with a kidney stone. Hopefully I get it tomorrow!

I ordered one of these the night this thread got posted but I still haven't gotten it. My tracking number is showing "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" on USPS and It's been like this since the 24th. Is this what it looks like when customs holds onto something?

I have been toying with the idea of synthetic. I like your choice of measurements. So when I email Ian I should ask for a Samjax 2011 28/54 ? Nice job with the review by the way.

I have been toying with the idea of synthetic. I like your choice of measurements. So when I email Ian I should ask for a Samjax 2011 28/54 ? Nice job with the review by the way.

Just ask for the handle of your choice and the measurements (and maybe density) of the knot.

I expect mine to be here, but I shipped to my work address, and I have been out of work for over a week with a kidney stone. Hopefully I get it tomorrow!
I hope you feel better, I had 2 Kidney stones 12mm last year...ouch!!:scared: I rather have a acid bath, man those things hurt. I took 1 year to get over it.

Now that is a Brand name if i ever saw one.....SamJax Synth.

Great name - not sure if Ian will cut me in on a $26 brush though. Next time...I really need to work on a super rare "low valley black" 1 1/2 band titanium backbone flaccid tip badger for $250+ :thumbup:

I ordered one of these the night this thread got posted but I still haven't gotten it. My tracking number is showing "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" on USPS and It's been like this since the 24th. Is this what it looks like when customs holds onto something?

I ordered mine the same time as well and still don't have the brush or even a tracking number. I guess slow boat from China is a true statement!

I ordered a small synth knot for a turn back handle I have. Ian confirmed the order on 9/16, and it showed up at my house in Atlanta today. Can't wait to see how it tacks up to my Muhle!

Just got my brush from Ian today. took a little under 3 weeks from the time I ordered, but I also didn't make a custom order as I don't really have enough frame of reference to have any particular preference as far as knot size, loft, etc. It's all new to me. At any rate, the brush feels great. Still need to get a bit of a handle on how it differs for lathering compared to my cheapo Omega synthetic. All in all, it was a way more enjoyable experience than before.

I have to say I am rather impressed with this brush!

First and foremost, build quality exceeds all my expectations.
My FS is really well made, with a good solid feel to the handle and a well formed knot.

The knot is a bit clumpy when wet, but that does not seem to affect the performance.
It provides a firm backbone and it has soft tips that feel really comfortable to the face.
As with all synthetic brushes it does not bloom and allows for very precise application.

I have been testing this brush for two days in a row with Mystic water coconut.
It has proven itself to be a solid performer.

Would I change this brush with my trusted Muhle silvertip fibers - I guess not.
But I am certainly impressed with FS ability to create a brush this good for this very reasonable price!

I've used my brush for the last 3 days. I'm still really impressed by it. It does clump up when it's wet and doesn't hold much water, but I'm guessing this is true of all/most synthetics. It's a little awkward when first starting face lathering because of the knot clumping together, but after working the brush in circular motions and dipping the tips in water a couple times it gets easier. The lather builds really nicely and is released easily from the knot. After the first pass, I can brush tons of lather from the knot right onto my face and use light circular motions to build the lather a little more.

I've been using Proraso green cream these past 3 days and I've had enough lather for 4 or 5 passes with a large almond-sized dab of cream. This brush is definitely going to be a regular in my rotation along with my Rooney 3/1 and my collection of Semogue boars.

Smash it a bit...as in Hulk Smash...and see what happens. Once it splays, you're golden. No need to be gentle with a $26 brush.

I got mine today. Not sure about it. Granted it's only the first use, but it didn't quite do it for me. I do have to say the tips are incredibly soft. I'll certainly have to give it more time to form a full opinion.

I can only speak to the 28/54 btw...I'm not at all familiar with any of the other knot/loft combos in the Frank synthetics.

I got mine today. Not sure about it. Granted it's only the first use, but it didn't quite do it for me. I do have to say the tips are incredibly soft. I'll certainly have to give it more time to form a full opinion.

Is it your first synthetic? If so, it may take a period of adjustment until you dial in the water/product ratios. I found that was the case for me.

Top Bottom