What's new

Finally - a Synthetic Winner!

I ordered The Samjax with a butterscotch handle. My pricier Omega synthetic is a huge disappointment to me. Hopefully this will be The One for vegan brushes!

Or simply, The Samjax.

Nice Rob! I like it!! Hopefully Tom doesn't mind either... :biggrin1:

I ordered The Samjax with a butterscotch handle. My pricier Omega synthetic is a huge disappointment to me. Hopefully this will be The One for vegan brushes!

Looks like it may have stuck already. :thumbup:

I think Tom should start getting some kind of commision on the sale of these "Samjax" brush configurations based on how many were likely ordered by others based on his review thread here!

Last edited:
After an entire month in the mail, mine finally showed up today! This thing is a back bone monster! Its very very very scrubby, almost to much even for me. I'll have to see how it breaks in, but after a couple test lathers I'm impressed.

Have these loosened up much for everyone? Some synthetics seem to, others dont. I hope this one relaxes a little bit, but if it doesn't I wont complain :001_wub:

This thing is a back bone monster! Its very very very scrubby, almost to much even for me.

In all fairness..I did mention the backbone thing. :biggrin1:

Seriously though, mine hasn't loosened up at all. Face painting silky smooth - scrubbing is as much as you want - with zero scritch - push it to splay, and you're in dreamland again. For what it is, and at its price point, it's a very impressive brush.

Oh yeah...that "Samjax" brush name...it has a nice ring to it. :thumbup:

Backbone is what I want. I have an Omega synthetic... which I dissed earlier.... but it's really good for bowl lathering creams. Had to figure out how to handle the water retention. But it's hopeless on pucks. I'm hoping for better with The Samjax. (And I'm glad Tom said that has a nice ring... I assumed, earlier!)

Last edited:
the more people post, the more I can't wait for mine to get here. I will be surprised if it dethrones my Thater 2-band as my daily brush, but I am excited for the competition.

The FS bristles are much thicker than other synthetics I'v tried. They seem to be more like boar hair in dimension than the three band badger hair that most others seem to emulate. HIS, Muhle, and every kabui I'v tried use much finer fibers.

push it to splay, and you're in dreamland again. For what it is, and at its price point, it's a very impressive brush.

When I press mine to splay it starts to bite the face a bit. Thats why I had hoped the backbone would dissipate somewhat. This kind of backbone is impressive at any price though, your right there.

Last edited:
I just ordered one of each color available with the same handle style Tom has. Black, ivory and butterscotch. One for the barber shop, one for me and one for.....maybe my son, a customer, who knows.

I just got my Samjax brush in today. It looks very nice except for a stray ink stain on the handle that looks like ink from the Franks Shaving logo that spilled. This my first synthetic. I have to say that it looks and feels very impressive. I haven't done a shave test yet, but I like the soft feel and backbone that this brush has. It splays less than a 22mm TGN Finest brush that I have that has the knot set rather high. This one looks like a winner. Thanks for the tip, Tom!

I ordered a custom FS brush, faux ivory chubby handle, synthetic 24 knot/48 loft. Will report on how it works out.

Are you a face or bowl latherer?

I want the 28/54 but I'd love the faux horn, which i think can only be made with a 26mm knot (max size?). I'll ask about a 26/52 if that's the case.

After giving this brush a weeks use, it is breaking in some. However its still a bit harsh on the face. I think I might try a second one in a fan shape at the same size specs. I think that will take some of the sting out of the tips.

Last edited:
Hey Loric, I'm not sure where the harshness is coming from...mine is pretty much semi-gel soft regarding the tips. Are you talking about the tips or the backbone?

You mention ordering it in bulb...did you get it in fan? Mine is the traditional bulb.

$frank1.jpg

The "fan" was a typo (big shock there...) mine is curently a bulb, and I would order a fan shape if I was to get a second one. Yes the tips are very soft dry, but when wet they get a bit prickly. Others who have used older FS or the TGN synth have reported the same thing. Your right though, a big part of the skritch is the backbone, so I thought that a fan shape would take away the shorter support hairs and result in a softer feeling brush. My M&F finest is kind of the same, Rooney finest was always a bit skritch, but when I got my big flat 32mm M&F I loved the slight skritch the combo of size, shape, and hair grade created.

I'm on the road for another week and didn't bring it with me...but it felt very much like my SOC 2 Band and somewhat akin to my Rudy Vey 32/55 2 Band Finest (in regards to basic face feel).

I took my brush for a test lather last night with some Arko I had grated in a bowl. The results were really impressive. I loaded for about 20-30 seconds and face lathered. I had enough lather for 4 passes. I don't get much scritch or prickliness from this brush. It does have a ton of backbone. The tips feel gel-like to me as well.

I'm really happy with this purchase. I can't compare this brush with any other synthetics, but my first impression is that it is at least as nice as my Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip and perfect for face lathering, which is what I do 90% of the time. I'm going to use this brush all this week and will post follow-up impressions if I have anything more to add.

Top Bottom