What's new

Finally a place to shave! Massive bathroom renovation.

Well, when I first joined this forum our bathroom was in a state of destruction and I was shaving in the kitchen.

You gentlemen made me JEALOUS with all your nice shave dens, etc. So jealous that I spent 75k to demolish, redesign and rebuild the bathroom. No kidding, 75 large. Electric underfloor heating, non-slip floor tiling, custom wall tiling, custom-made half-walls, motorised air extraction, new sewage pipe design, all new plumbing, all new electricity, extra-large separate shower with wall drain (unidrain), free standing cultured marble tub, 100 centimeter wide cultured marble sink with dual faucets (one manual and one automatic), 100 centimeter square mirror cabinet with real glass front panels, wall hung toilet, solid wood panel lowered ceiling, heated towel rack, and SIX separate lighting zones (6 switches, 2 of which are dimmers), and a separate enclosed area for clothes washer-dryer tower. I probably forgot something...

Sauna is not yet built and the separate shower is missing it's glass walls, but the place is finally usable just as summer is ending and outdoor hot tub season is over.

We got the huge mirror cabinet, cabinet LED light and side cabinets installed yesterday (by our electrician, no less). He also installed my LED "shaving" spotlights in the ceiling. Those lights are in a group and they don't have a dimmer because they don't need one, they are intended to "shed some light on the subject" while shaving.

My wife and I spent the whole day today "moving in" to the new bathroom i.e. moving all the bathroom stuff out of our bedroom closets.

Here are a few photos. I took the below photo of my side of the mirror cabinet just before my first shave ever in the new "shave den" :)

IMG_0764.jpeg

bath2.jpeg

bath3.jpeg

bath4.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Looks fantastic congrats
All the utilities etc will pay dividends in the long run too. Less to break or fail later.

Very nice but only one sink? One very wide sink but... Our old country house isn't worth upgrading anymore than we have already but the one thing we should have done was the bathroom so we could each have our own sink like at our more modern home in town. Still, your project is very tasteful.

Oh, I forgot, we also have a radio-controlled bidet next to the toilet. The water pipe goes under the floor and across the room to the sink, where it has its own hot-cold mixer with temperature control. You lift the bidet out of it's wall holder and it sends a radio signal to the mixer to open the water. Put the bidet back in it's wall holder and it sends the radio signal to close the water. It's a Finnish invention by a faucet company "Oras" called "Etä-bidetta" (remote bidet).

Very nice but only one sink? One very wide sink but... Our old country house isn't worth upgrading anymore than we have already but the one thing we should have done was the bathroom so we could each have our own sink like at our more modern home in town. Still, your project is very tasteful.

Yeah, we already expanded the size of the bathroom by nearly 4 square meters during renovation. Still, there wouldn't have been room for dual sinks. The sink does have two faucets, though.

Yeah, we already expanded the size of the bathroom by nearly 4 square meters during renovation. Still, there wouldn't have been room for dual sinks. The sink does have two faucets, though.
I noticed and figured there had to be a compromise due to space. Still, way nicer than my bathroom!

Just when I was feeling a little grumpy about nine large and 12 months to do the Lather Pit. :)

That's a beauty! Good job.

O.H.

This renovation took 4 full months of which 2 full months was nothing but demolition (needed to carry out approx 20 tons of old bricks and cement flooring). Repouring the floor alone took 125 x 20kg sacks of quick-dry cement. No drywall was used in the reno, it's all cement, cement brick and structural cement blocks. There was no air extraction before, just some gravity-based ventilation. The new ventilation system has a powerful EC motor on top of one of my 6 chimney flues just for the bathroom. Turning the vent up to full speed, no matter how long one stays in the shower it does not fog up the big mirror cabinet!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The new ventilation system has a powerful EC motor on top of one of my 6 chimney flues just for the bathroom. Turning the vent up to full speed, no matter how long one stays in the shower it does not fog up the big mirror cabinet!

I could like that. I absolutely hate the little noisemakers we have for "fans." Part of the problem is that they don't seem to do much (although they actually do); I also have mild tinnitus that really blows up with some kinds of white noise like fans. Can't hear myself think on those rare occasions when I try.

O.H.

I could like that. I absolutely hate the little noisemakers we have for "fans." Part of the problem is that they don't seem to do much (although they actually do); I also have mild tinnitus that really blows up with some kinds of white noise like fans. Can't hear myself think on those rare occasions when I try.

O.H.

The top of the chimney, where the vacuum fan sits, is 6 meters higher than the bathroom ceiling. They installed a sound muffler (the long rectangular box in the corner) on the main ventilation pipe where it enters the bathroom from the bottom of the chimney. You can still hear the fan if you turn it up to full speed but it's a very remote sort of roar - not high-pitched at all. Sounds more like the entrance to a cave or tunnel or something. So the bathroom has an air inlet vent that goes through the wall to outside, and then the fan on top of the chimney sucks air out of the bathroom.

IMG_0669.jpeg

Is that an insta hot faucet on the right?
Congrats on your gorgeous bathroom sir! We installed bidets years ago and wonder why more folks don’t have them. Incredible remodel!

Top Bottom