What's new

Finally a Henson razor I can love

This is just my two cents and it might be unpopular. If I'm comparing my henson al medium to the henson al aggressive I didn't find the aggressive that much more aggressive. My first shave with the aluminum agressive
was last night. That's not to say that I don't love it, I absolutely do. I like both of my hensons. I just did not find it that much more aggressive

I fully agree. But I felt the same moving from the mild to the medium version. Henson offers incremental aggression upgrades, not quantum leaps.

I picked up the Medium when there was a sale and got it for a good price. I was honestly very disappointed in it with the first shave but my angle was off. The second shave was far better once I realized how precise the angle needed to be but it still felt like I had to constantly go over the same area a lot more then I do with my 89 series razors. It's a razor I plan to test out more in the future.

I believe I may like one of the newer heads better if it allows a wider range of angles. If I was to buy another similar razor I'd prefer a Winning razor. Sadly I missed the news that they were on sale and being discontinued until it was too late. The extra heft over the Henson would also be appreciated. The Henson feels fine in my hands, but the lightweight doesn't help its efficiency by any means.

I honestly don't get all the hype... which makes me keep wanting to retest it or try the mild instead of medium. The EJ89 and R89 are 10 times the razor the Henson is, in my opinion of course.

I picked up the Medium when there was a sale and got it for a good price. I was honestly very disappointed in it with the first shave but my angle was off. The second shave was far better once I realized how precise the angle needed to be but it still felt like I had to constantly go over the same area a lot more then I do with my 89 series razors. It's a razor I plan to test out more in the future.

I believe I may like one of the newer heads better if it allows a wider range of angles. If I was to buy another similar razor I'd prefer a Winning razor. Sadly I missed the news that they were on sale and being discontinued until it was too late. The extra heft over the Henson would also be appreciated. The Henson feels fine in my hands, but the lightweight doesn't help its efficiency by any means.

I honestly don't get all the hype... which makes me keep wanting to retest it or try the mild instead of medium. The EJ89 and R89 are 10 times the razor the Henson is, in my opinion of course.
Yates, who made the (now sadly discontinued) Winning, has said they have a new design in the works based on the Winning. So stay tuned, I bet it will be a really good razor if it ever gets released.

Change the brand of blade. This will make a difference.

The Henson is very efficient, but not aggressive, if that makes sense.

Change the brand of blade. This will make a difference.

The Henson is very efficient, but not aggressive, if that makes sense.
The two I have tried are the Astra SP (my go to), and last time I used a Feather. I expect if I used it for a couple more shaves and got the angle down better it would be better. Too many other things to test out at the moment but will be going back to it eventually. I was satisfied with the shave on my last go with the Feather, but the next shave I used one of my 89 series razors and found it much more efficient for me.

For some reason, I get the least irritation out of 89 series razors. I have tried quite a few now and many razors give me good shaves but the 89's just feel so smooth with no blade feel. The only problem is some of them like my first R89 isn't quite as efficient as I'd like. But with a shim it really comes to life, and another mystery 89 I have has a narrower top cap and wider gap and cuts just as smooth but is more efficient.

The De89/R89 is a fantastic design. I have a DE89 and it always gives a great shave. The only issues are that it is possible to cut myself and to get irritation. Also, the Zamax is an issue long term. However, the shave is fantastic.

Try a Nacet blade in the Henson. They get smoother as you use them. Feather is my favorite, but the Nacet has become #2, I think. I also like the Super Nacet just about as much and they are a bit sharper, but you might not be able to get those as they are Southeast Asia only.

That is another way to look at it. The words are not really near synonyms. In my mind there are some mild mannered razors that cut very efficiently.
I know what you mean. One example would be the Merkur 34c. A mild razor but with a sharp blade like a Feather, really gets the job done.

The Henson's head is made in such a way that it is very easy to find the best angle to shave. It clamps down very tight and slightly downward for a smooth cut. Less chance to draw blood. It is a well designed razor.
It is still not my favorite but I will give 2nd place for sure. (My favorite is the ATT Windsor Pro SB90 Aluminum.)

Henson_Proraso.JPG

Last edited:
If any of you can find Gillette Super Nacet blades, they are very sharp, yet smooth. These are my second favorite blades, so far, out of more than a dozen brands. The Nacet come in next. They are not as sharp, but are smooth, especially on the third shave. Anyway, the Super Nacet and Henson were made for each other, it seems.

shave/brush, thanks for making this thread. I asked the Henson guys ages ago if they were going to make an aggressive aluminium and they said they wouldn't.

I have a Ti aggressive, and it's good, but it's too heavy for my taste. A light and aggressive Henson - I thought that would be the best combo.

I hadn't checked in at B&B for months, but I saw this thread two days ago and raced over to the link you provided. I think I got the very last one - that page has now disappeared. Looking forward to trying it out!

shave/brush, thanks for making this thread. I asked the Henson guys ages ago if they were going to make an aggressive aluminium and they said they wouldn't.

I have a Ti aggressive, and it's good, but it's too heavy for my taste. A light and aggressive Henson - I thought that would be the best combo.

I hadn't checked in at B&B for months, but I saw this thread two days ago and raced over to the link you provided. I think I got the very last one - that page has now disappeared. Looking forward to trying it out!
I think you will enjoy the +++ Henson razor. I'm glad you got the last one.

You're right, the Henson listing for the Al13 Aggressive (+++) is gone. I'm SO glad I got mine a couple of weeks ago, it's a terrific razor!
IMO, Henson is making a big mistake by not offering the Aggressive as a regular offering. The Aggressive models are the best Hensons out there!

I think you will enjoy the +++ Henson razor. I'm glad you got the last one.
Thanks mate :)

Since there doesn't seem to be much chance of getting a backup for the AL13 +++ if it becomes my new favourite, would you please tell me a bit about how it compares with your favourite Windsor Pro SB90?

Is it a similar shave? Is it similarly lightweight? What about it makes you like it even more than the AL13 +++?

Reactions: Kix
Thanks mate :)

Since there doesn't seem to be much chance of getting a backup for the AL13 +++ if it becomes my new favorite, would you please tell me a bit about how it compares with your favorite Windsor Pro SB90?

Is it a similar shave? Is it similarly lightweight? What about it makes you like it even more than the AL13 +++?
The ATT SB90 is a bit more aggressive. It is still a smooth shave. It is made from 7000 series aluminum.
Why I like it more than the Henson is because the Henson holds the blade in a sharp downward bend. It is really unique to most all other razors. I don't mind the angle but it feels different to me. Obviously I like the razor but I prefer the traditional angle.
If you decide you want to get the ATT SB90, the price has been reduced from $74.00 to $54.00.

The ATT SB90 is a bit more aggressive. It is still a smooth shave. It is made from 7000 series aluminum.
Why I like it more than the Henson is because the Henson holds the blade in a sharp downward bend. It is really unique to most all other razors. I don't mind the angle but it feels different to me. Obviously I like the razor but I prefer the traditional angle.
If you decide you want to get the ATT SB90, the price has been reduced from $74.00 to $54.00.
Thanks, I appreciate this! I'll have a look. Seems we are in a bit of a light razor renaissance :)

Top Bottom