What's new

Final Thoughts For Now On Rockwell 6S

So I have been through every plate 1-6 and 6 different blades.
Different degrees of sharpness as well.
Today was plate 6 with a Wilkerson Sword. I am not getting a decent shave with this razor.
I am dealing with a good deal of irritation and still need more cleanup.
This last blade I used seemed very smooth and sharp enough but I have to continuously go over multiple areas and I think that’s where the irritation comes in.
Perhaps this razor would work best with a super sharp blade.
I am finding plate #6 to be only a medium aggressiveness / efficient.
Perhaps I am going something wrong but I don’t think so.
I might only be a few months into this type of shaving but I think every other razor used so far has produced much better results with just about any blade.
My OCD got me to purchase quite a few since I started.
I will give it one last try mid week with a Feather blade and see if anything gets better.
Otherwise I see no reason to hold on to this. It’s really just shaving!
I just want a razor that can take just about any blade and get a decent shave. I’m no expert by any means but I think for my face the head cap is just too thick. Who knows

Sorry it’s not working out for you! I’m looking forward to trying to pick one up (or it’s less expensive Gunmetal sibling) soon. It’s seems really foolproof if nothing else, good for when I get old and wrinkly!

So I have been through every plate 1-6 and 6 different blades.
Different degrees of sharpness as well.
Today was plate 6 with a Wilkerson Sword. I am not getting a decent shave with this razor.
I am dealing with a good deal of irritation and still need more cleanup.
This last blade I used seemed very smooth and sharp enough but I have to continuously go over multiple areas and I think that’s where the irritation comes in.
Perhaps this razor would work best with a super sharp blade.
I am finding plate #6 to be only a medium aggressiveness / efficient.
Perhaps I am going something wrong but I don’t think so.
I might only be a few months into this type of shaving but I think every other razor used so far has produced much better results with just about any blade.
My OCD got me to purchase quite a few since I started.
I will give it one last try mid week with a Feather blade and see if anything gets better.
Otherwise I see no reason to hold on to this. It’s really just shaving!
I just want a razor that can take just about any blade and get a decent shave. I’m no expert by any means but I think for my face the head cap is just too thick. Who knows

I am interested to hear how it goes with a Feather blade. I found Feathers to be a game changer for me.

I am interested to hear how it goes with a Feather blade. I found Feathers to be a game changer for me.
Well in it’s defense as the day goes on and I feel my face it’s not terrible. I also ran out of hot water due to the whole house using it up. I also rushed the shave.
One last try mid week with a Feather blade. Might even bring it down to #4 plate.

Sorry it’s not working out for you! I’m looking forward to trying to pick one up (or it’s less expensive Gunmetal sibling) soon. It’s seems really foolproof if nothing else, good for when I get old and wrinkly!
I’m too new to this!
I’m hearing hold on to everything until you use it for a good amount of time.
I will just keep it in the rotation.
I bet some people who have gotten great results from the start used a better blade for their face from the start.

I have gotten good results from this razor from the first shave - but I have been traditional shaving for a very long time. The only poor shaves I got from it was when I used the Rockwell blades.

Play around with the angle a bit and see if that helps. I use the 4 or 5 plate and use my usual four pass shave to get a BBS shave.

Very new here -- just started during the new year with the 34C and used the popular blades (Personna Lab Blue, Astra SP, and Feather) with just Stirling soaps to minimize changing variables. One of the shaves with the Feather was the best I've had with the 34C.

However, a couple days ago, I had my first shave with the Rockwell 6S (R3) + Gillette Silver Blues + B&M Reserve Cool and that was the smoothest, most comfortable, irritation-free shave I've had yet -- I'm excited to use it w/ other blades/soaps.

Saw that your other posts mentioned Cremo and VDH creams/soaps, wondering if you've tried the Rockwell with your more expensive soaps?

I have gotten good results from this razor from the first shave - but I have been traditional shaving for a very long time. The only poor shaves I got from it was when I used the Rockwell blades.

Play around with the angle a bit and see if that helps. I use the 4 or 5 plate and use my usual four pass shave to get a BBS shave.
Well that’s positive!
Just curious what blade are you using in this? Someone else mentioned playing with the blade angle.
I hear too many pros versus cons to this razor so I’m not about to give up. After midweek I will definitely be going back to some other ones I have.

Very new here -- just started during the new year with the 34C and used the popular blades (Personna Lab Blue, Astra SP, and Feather) with just Stirling soaps to minimize changing variables. One of the shaves with the Feather was the best I've had with the 34C.

However, a couple days ago, I had my first shave with the Rockwell 6S (R3) + Gillette Silver Blues + B&M Reserve Cool and that was the smoothest, most comfortable, irritation-free shave I've had yet -- I'm excited to use it w/ other blades/soaps.

Saw that your other posts mentioned Cremo and VDH creams/soaps, wondering if you've tried the Rockwell with your more expensive soaps?
I have a bunch of more expensive soaps and creams I haven’t even tried yet. Captains Choice was the first of the better creams I still use. I’m trying to finish one before I open another. I definitely need to thin out my shaving supplies. I acquired a lot of stuff quickly. I don’t want a dozen half used soaps and creams around.
I have been getting pretty good results with some oil on face and the Vanderhagen hard soap. I have been using that soap on a regular basis and it seems to last forever. I can’t use it up. Hahahaha. I returned the Cremo because I just didn’t like how much water is needed to use it.
I’m sure if I don’t rush so much, work on my angle, and find the right blade the Rockwell will be fine.
I do love the fit and finish! Very well made.

Have you tried a good swath of blades yet? I mean, I've had some really bad shaves, but every one of those shaves were because of the razor blade and not the razor.

Well that’s positive!
Just curious what blade are you using in this? Someone else mentioned playing with the blade angle.
I hear too many pros versus cons to this razor so I’m not about to give up. After midweek I will definitely be going back to some other ones I have.
I use Personna Medical Prep blades, Reds and Gillette Wilkinson.

I've noted that a couple of people here are using #6 with a couple of shims, so there is a distinct possibility that the Rockwell doesn't have enough bite for your beard type out of the box. Shims are a cheap experiment it you think it will highlight a shortfall.

I've noted that a couple of people here are using #6 with a couple of shims, so there is a distinct possibility that the Rockwell doesn't have enough bite for your beard type out of the box. Shims are a cheap experiment it you think it will highlight a shortfall.
Thanks but I would just use a better razor suited for my face. I will continue experimenting with the Rockwell but I am not using shims.

Have you tried a good swath of blades yet? I mean, I've had some really bad shaves, but every one of those shaves were because of the razor blade and not the razor.
I have been through 6 different blades so far. A different blade with each plate. I have a lot of blades I haven’t even tried yet. I will continue to try a new blade on a regular basis.

I also have a feeling I’m rushing a lot of these shaves. I need to take my time and work on my technique

It may well be you need a razor that has even greater efficiency levels than the R6 provides. While it's not terribly difficult to find razors that fill that bill, getting one that combines higher efficiency with a corresponding comfortable level of smoothness may prove more of a challenge.

I'm completely dialed in using 6s/R3 and Kai blades. This is the first day I haven't shaved with the 6s in the month I've owned it (decided to try a vintage Gillette short comb NEW for King Gillette weekend :)).

However as others suggested, try additional blades in the event you haven't gotten a good match up for your beard type yet. Best wishes.

It may well be you need a razor that has even greater efficiency levels than the R6 provides. While it's not terribly difficult to find razors that fill that bill, getting one that combines higher efficiency with a corresponding comfortable level of smoothness may prove more of a challenge.

I'm completely dialed in using 6s/R3 and Kai blades. This is the first day I haven't shaved with the 6s in the month I've owned it (decided to try a vintage Gillette short comb NEW for King Gillette weekend :)).

However as others suggested, try additional blades in the event you haven't gotten a good match up for your beard type yet. Best wishes.
No daily or semi-daily shaver"needs" an ultra aggressive razor, it's a matter of technique. People who believe they do are wanting a razor that doesn't force them into maintaining the narrower angle of efficiency that a moderate razor like the Rockwell provides. Talk about coarse beards and such is nonsense if you understand how razors actually work.

Now it may be that the Merkur type head that the Rockwell shares with many other razors isn't the best fit for a person's needs in which case it might be worth trying an Old Type style head (Fatip, Pearl etc) or SC Gillette which may be more stable ATG than some other designs whose bottom plate offers less support. Postwar Tech falls into this category too but one has to be pretty skilled in its use given its mildness. That's one theory anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No daily or semi-daily shaver"needs" an ultra aggressive razor, it's a matter of technique. People who believe they do are wanting a razor that doesn't force them into maintaining the narrower angle of efficiency that a moderate razor like the Rockwell provides. Talk about coarse beards and such is nonsense if you understand how razors actually work.

Now it may be that the Merkur type head that the Rockwell shares with many other razors isn't the best fit for a person's needs in which case it might be worth trying an Old Type style head (Fatip, Pearl etc) or SC Gillette which may be more stable ATG than some other designs whose bottom plate offers less support. Postwar Tech falls into this category too but one has to be pretty skilled in its use given its mildness. That's one theory anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks

Top Bottom