What's new

Final review of Russian Blades (From PIF)

@DHoward set up a PIF of Russian Blades for people that hadn't had a chance to try them. I won, and as I tried each blade, I would put up a brief review of them in the thread. I just finished the last one (Gillette Nacet) in the shower this morning, and I think I have a good set of how these go.

I used three different razors for most of the blades; a 40's SupserSpeed, an 80's black handled SuperSpeed, and a post-war no-code ball end Tech. I also used a Weishi 9306CEL. The Nacet I've only used in the 40's SuperSpeed so far.

What I received was

Astra Superior Platinum
One Astra Superior Stainless
Voskhod
Rapira Platinum Lux

The Astra SP has been a solid shaver, even going between four different razors over a weeks time. Good shave, no particular issues. I'd call it very good value for the money.

The Voskhod gave what felt like an extremely sharp first shave, but only in the first pass, which is a mostly WTG, slightly XTG. (Best for my shaving). It was not that great for the opposite pass, or for the 'buffing' touch-ups. My face felt sore afterwards, even though I had no nicks or weepers. The second shave in a SS didn't feel pleasant. No cuts, but I didn't like it much. The last shave (two days later after letting a road rash heal - caused by my pinkie loosening the SS knob a bit) was with the ball end Tech, and the Voskhod felt BETTER than the first shave, and light years better than the second.

My conclusion is that Voskhod is best for people that are using three piece razors, preferably Techs/Star.

So, after the Weishi and the 80's SuperSpeed, then the Tech, I decided to go older for the next blade.

Rapira Platinum Lux

First shave was in a 1940's SuperSpeed. I couldn't get the plastic off of the box, so I used a Kreigar straight razor knife and opened the package. I found a use for it!

Most of the shaves, I used Arko. This one, I used VDH just because. Lathered up, started to shave, and had to make sure I remembered to put the blade in the razor. I did my normal modified two passes, and got a good solid shave. Even on the section at the bottom of my neck that's like corrugated metal, the razor did a pretty good job. Slapping on a LOT more Aqua Velva Blue Ice than normal stung, but only for about 10 seconds.

Second shave with the Rapira, I used the 40's SS again. This time I used ARKO, and got a solid clean shave, just like the first.

Third shave with the Rapira. Pulled out a Canadian "1932" Tech (triangular holes), and gave myself a shave with Arko. Solid shave, gave myself some razor burn, and it wanted to catch when doing ATG under the nose. Thinking that Rapira is 1) not good in the Canadian Tech, and 2) is probably a "no more than 5 shaves" blade. Tossed it and the Voskhod in the bin.

Next shave - the Astra Superior Stainless.

Pasting from my original review - Penultimate review. Astra Superior Stainless. Not as superior as the Platinum, and definitely not as good as the Rapira PL. In the same mild shaver - the 40's SuperSpeed - my face feels somewhat burned, especially around the front of the chin (betwixt lip and chin). That's from a one pass shave. It shaved very closely - possibly too closely for a single pass in some spots.

Next was a shave with the ball end tech - I was not happy with it. Into the bin it went. I did determine that it's almost impossible to use too much water with Arko. Accidentally put more water in it than normal, and it created even MORE lather. Checked the lather, still good, so that wasn't the issue with the shave.

Last shave.

Gillette Nacet - 1940's SuperSpeed.

This morning, I took a shower, lathered up the Arko, and had a similar experience as with the Rapira. Even cutting my sideburns a bit higher than normal, it didn't suffer from the normal clog/skip hair, flushed easily, and I was even able to do ATG in the corrugated section at the bottom of my neck, as well as (with care) doing ATG at the bottom of my chin, an area I generally just do a good one way shave and live with it. (people aren't generally staring up at my chin from my chest, in any case) The AV afterwards burned a bit, and I can feel that it was a VERY close shave. Most of that is going to be me needing to make sure I don't try to go back over areas a second time without lathering up again. Arko is good at leaving some extra residue, but this blade scrapes it off cleaner than most.

So, in order of 'best' to 'worst', I would say this.

Nacet
Rapira
Astra
Voskhod

Gillette Nacet - only one shave so far, but if I get three shaves like this out of it, I'm sold.
Rapira PL - Right below the Nacet. Possibly the same, but it's hard to say. My hair only grows so fast to try to compare. Maybe two SS's, shave one side with one blade, the other side with the other?
Astra SP - for the price, these may actually be the most cost effective blades, even though they aren't quite as close as the Rapira and Gillette.
Voskhod - Sharp, but as it only liked one out of three razors, I don't think I'll keep this in my rotation. It also just wasn't very friendly to my face.

That's the completion!

So, now I get to order a hundred Rapira and hundred Nacet, I guess. :) (No, I need to test out Cloud and Shark now)

Great review. I just started using Gillette silver blues in my Fatboy. I might have to switch it to my Maggard V3, which I've only used twice since the Fatboy arrived, and try a Nacet. I purchased a variety pack specially because it had both silver blues and Nacets.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Great review. I've used all those except for Rapira, and I agree 100% with Nacet being tops. It didn't take but a few shaves for them to replace Polsiver as my favorite blade.

Thanks for doing this Bookworm. Labor of love?
Nah - it was a PIF. I feel that since they went to the effort to send them to me, the least I can do is let everyone know how the PIF worked out. With the four razors I sent out as PIF's today, hopefully I'll hear something back from each of them. (I included several blades with each razor, and two were complete starter kits)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nah - it was a PIF. I feel that since they went to the effort to send them to me, the least I can do is let everyone know how the PIF worked out. With the four razors I sent out as PIF's today, hopefully I'll hear something back from each of them. (I included several blades with each razor, and two were complete starter kits)
You are a generous soul. Thank you.

Thank you for the excellent review. I'll have to give Nacet's a try as I am a fan of Astra SPs and you liked the Nacets better.

This is good info. I'm finding that Gillette blades tend to be where I lean, but I haven't tried a Nacet yet. I'll have to order up a batch of them to try.

Nice review! Russian blades rule for me. Oddly enough, out of all the Gillette 7 o'clock colors, I like the black the best (Pakistan made I believe). Polsilvers are probably my favorites right now, but after @CigarSmoka 's comment I'll have to revisit the Nacets...

Nice review! Russian blades rule for me. Oddly enough, out of all the Gillette 7 o'clock colors, I like the black the best (Pakistan made I believe). Polsilvers are probably my favorites right now, but after @CigarSmoka 's comment I'll have to revisit the Nacets...

It appears we have the same taste in blades. I think the 7O'clock Black is fantastic (but made in India maybe?) and truthfully I'd be happy with either Polsilver or Nacet for life. That Nacet seem a little sharper and clean up my neck easier, but Polsilver rule for longevity, I've gotten 3 weeks of nice shaves from a single blade.

I used the same 1940's SuperSpeed (Y-4) with the Nacet again last night. No cuts or weepers, some stinging from the aftershave, but nothing major. Same smooth cuts, and that's with two and a half days of beard.

Keep in mind, I have not used the Nacet in any of my other razors as of yet. I'll probably try a Weishi, 80's SuperSpeed, or a Tech next.

As for longevity, I'm not concerned about getting 15 shaves from the blade. I have no need for the Excalibur club; I'll just buy blades. I have about 280 of random types right now :)

IMG_0040.JPG

That's later. I considered doing it today, but decided I'll work through more of my various sample blades yet to test.

I'm with you @Bookworm , I have 85 Voskhod and almost as many Personna med preps, as well as 2-5 each of a good 10 or 12 other brands to get through. I know if I buy 100 Nacet the rest of these will never get used.

Last update on the Nacet. As I said I would, I put it in a ball end post war (undated) tech. Unlike the voskhod, it does not appear that the Nacet likes the tech very much. It did really well in the 40's superspeed, but left what seemed to be an excessive amount of stubble behind after the first pass. Normally, one pass with a blade gives me a good shave, and two passes could be BBS if done right. With this, it took two passes the _same direction_ to be a decent shave.

So, Nacet likes a TTO, Voskhod does not - to my face.

I have tried all these blades.The worst was the astra stainless.
The best of the bunch was nacet but i have to check it more.It wasn't as good as gillette rubie or viking's sword but it was good.

Nice review :001_smile
I have a whole bunch of Russian blades if someone wants to try them out.
Got all Moscow blades, from St Petersburg i have sputnik, gillette yellow and Astra sp+ss.
However I'm still a newbie on the forum. How do you make a PIF? Just start a thread?

Nice review :001_smile
I have a whole bunch of Russian blades if someone wants to try them out.
Got all Moscow blades, from St Petersburg i have sputnik, gillette yellow and Astra sp+ss.
However I'm still a newbie on the forum. How do you make a PIF? Just start a thread?

"Just start a thread"? YEP...
Your PIF; Your RULES.
Pick the correct forum
Minimum # of posts or not.
CONUS or WW.
Special Questions like What's your favorite band or Do you have a fish named Eric or not....

Go for it... :badger:

Last edited:
Top Bottom