What's new

Final polish

Afternoon shave fam! Typically, what grit rating is the hone you’re using to obtain the final polish on your straight razors before heading to the strop and shaving? 12k is the highest I have, but I’m touching up on the barber’s hone on a regular basis to keep it right...

Got a 0.3 micron lapping film that's around 60,000 grit, and a 0.05 micron that I want to try that's supposed to be around 500,000 grit. Looking to get a balsa strop eventually because the jump from 1 micron to 0.3 to 0.05 is enormous, would like a smoother progression

With most barber hones I would expect them to take you backwards from a 12k really. Each one is different and some brand better reputations than others. You might consider taking it out of your equation and just doing a few passes on the 12k every now and then to freshen the edge like you have been the barber hone. My guess is that it would be an improvement.

While I can shave comfortably off a well done Naniwa 12K SS edge, if I'm going to finish on a synthetic stone it will likely be the Suehiro G20K.
Just to experiment it might be the Shapton GS 30K or a modified Spyderco ulta-fine.

I've finished on a 12k Naniwa for about two years. But... I then use the diamond pasted balsa method for final finishing and maintenance after every shave. Diamond improves the 12k and stropping on leather improves the diamond. Really, REALLY, sharp edges.

That said, I have a Swaty three-line that I occasionally use with lather instead of going back to the 12k for a refresh. Gets me close enough. From what I understand, Swaty thrones are considered to be ~8k. But with lather and very little pressure, it gets me to a shaving edge (and I will not shave of of 8k).

And with all that said, I'm now getting into coticules and finishing on the hybrid side of a les latenuses. The rabbit hole never ends ...

I almost always shave off natural stones but I have shaved off the Naniwa 12k and while it’s a quality stone I don’t really care for it. It just has a feel that’s slightly disagreeable to my skin type. I get a better sensation off the Naniwa 10k. Both are sharp enough but the 10k is just a little easier on me for some reason.

Top Bottom