What's new

Final Deeming, no Peterson blends

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The FDA’s final “deeming date” for pipe tobacco is 08/08/2022. As I understand it after that date any tobacco that has not been grandfathered will no longer be able to be sold in the US. I was perusing the FDA’s list of tobacco products that have been grandfathered and the only Peterson tobacco I could find on the list is Sweet Killarney. The list is incomplete per the FDA but Sweet Killarney was submitted in 2020, it seems strange that STG didn’t submit any other Peterson’s at the same time. Anyone have any “insider knowledge” about this?

Looks like I may need to stock up on Nightcap.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There are quite a few blends not in the searchable database. The actual PMTA list contains millions of items and who knows what is on them. While I can’t imagine blends that sell well wouldn’t apply for exemption, if you know you like a blend and have the money to stock up, have the space to store it, and know you will smoke it, common sense would seem to dictate to cellar as deep as possible. If it doesn’t go out of production you will merely have spent money in advance, maybe a hedge against price increases. If the tobacco ceases to exist, well, you will have some to smoke, and you might have a smug smile as you peruse the forums’ gnashing of teeth and proclamations of woe over discontinued blends.

For those that don’t have the means to buy now, just know that this is coming and plan accordingly if possible. In the end not having certain tobacco to smoke is a bummer, but there are a ton of blends that are indeed on the list and should be around for a long time. Until the next FDA overreach :(.

I have a tin of nightcap headed my way now. Should see it in the mailbox tomorrow morning. I am unaware of this new FDA reg. I'm going to start researching now...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a tin of nightcap headed my way now. Should see it in the mailbox tomorrow morning. I am unaware of this new FDA reg. I'm going to start researching now...

It’s been on the radar for, gee, maybe 2-3 years now. It is the impetus for the shortage of in stock tobacco blends since everyone is “hoarding” tobacco, as the indignant on FB like to say.

Prior to that people mainly cellared/hoarded for the purpose of aging as tobacco blends very rarely sold out, except for the hot blend of the month. Usually FVF, or Esoterica Stonehaven and Penzance. Other than that every other blend was freely available for the most part.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What suprised me is all the old Middleton blends that are on the list Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Kentucky Club and abut 5 different types of PA.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What suprised me is all the old Middleton blends that are on the list Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Kentucky Club and abut 5 different types of PA.

Sugar Barrel has been out of production for years IIRC. Definitely seems like no one knows what is going on lol. Especially the FDA.

Just read an article that due to the crazy size of the database field agents presently have no way of knowing if a item is legally able to be sold or not. I think the rules were a way to get regulation on to vaping, since till now it was unregulated and untaxed. Cigars and pipes are just collateral damage.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Sugar Barrel has been out of production for years IIRC. Definitely seems like no one knows what is going on lol. Especially the FDA.

Just read an article that due to the crazy size of the database field agents presently have no way of knowing if a item is legally able to be sold or not. I think the rules were a way to get regulation on to vaping, since till now it was unregulated and untaxed. Cigars and pipes are just collateral damage.

I’ve read pretty much the same thing. The FDA has said pipe tobacco is a low priority item. The more I look at the published list the more I’m suprised by what’s on it and what’s not. No Seattle Pipe Club or Captain Black Grape. I worry more about individual states banning “flavored tobacco.” A bill was introduced here in Indiana this year but went nowhere.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Does anyone have a link to this list? Failing that, what terms should I use to search?
Here’s the link for the searchable database. As @Kentos mentioned, the fda admits that this search engine does not have all of the “grandfathered” tobacco products in it. I just found it strange that there is a single Peterson blend listed. If it’s listed I would assume any others that have been submitted would be listed as well.

Here’s the link for the searchable database. As @Kentos mentioned, the fda admits that this search engine does not have all of the “grandfathered” tobacco products in it. I just found it strange that there is a single Peterson blend listed. If it’s listed I would assume any others that have been submitted would be listed as well.
Are the Dunhills in? They would now make up a good portion of the current Peterson lineup.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I checked under Dunhill name and couldn’t find anything. STG blended the Dunhill and now Peterson Tobaccos and other that Sweet Killarney there are no other Peterson/Dunhill blends listed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Does anyone have a link to this list? Failing that, what terms should I use to search?

Are the Dunhills in? They would now make up a good portion of the current Peterson lineup.
Here is the Grandfathered list for Pipe and for Cigars in PDF format.
The list is not made in a "common sense" format and many products are listed in a way that you wouldn't expect, for example: some of the Peterson items are listed under Laudisi, but it still is NOT a complete list.
Sherlock Holmes is not to be found in any of their databases.

Attachments

• Pipe.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Cigar.pdf
    395.1 KB · Views: 4

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

Here is the Grandfathered list for Pipe and for Cigars in PDF format.
The list is not made in a "common sense" format and many products are listed in a way that you wouldn't expect, for example: some of the Peterson items are listed under Laudisi, but it still is NOT a complete list.
Sherlock Holmes is not to be found in any of their databases.
I’m really hoping that there is an updated list coming. Doing a search in the pipe tobacco PDF shows no Nightcap, Early morning pipe, Royal yacht, 3P, Mixture 965, De Luxe Navy Rolls, etc.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I can't get the terms Capstan or MacBaren, or Mac Baren, to retrieve any records, either.

For some of the MacBaren blends, look them up under the Sutliff Brand. Interestingly enough, Escudo is not found in the grandfathered list as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So what’s this mean? After August 2022 the only tobacco that can be sold in the US is what is on those lists?

Top Bottom