What's new

Filson Footwear

Anyone have experience with Filson's boots or oxfords? They've crossed my radar at a good price. Seemed well-made in the store, and I like the cork insoles, but I'll let the experiences of the good gents here decide. :smile:

They are more or less as comfortable as Mephisto shoes, but more weather resistant. The boot with the layer of wool between the inner and outer layers of leather is a good deep winter boot - very water resistant and able to keep your feet from feeling very cold even in subzero weather, but not feeling uncomfortably warm otherwise. They come with cork insoles, but will accomodate custom orthotics instead, if you prefer. They are also resoleable, so should last for many years. A good value for serious outdoor footwear.

Chad
I have been eying these for years as well, I have a pair of Kangaroo upland boots that are at the end of their useful life.

Did you find a source for these at a good discount?

I wonder if Filson makes their own footwear, or if they re-sell. I've located a store that sells Filson, but have yet to make the trip.

I wonder if Filson makes their own footwear, or if they re-sell. I've located a store that sells Filson, but have yet to make the trip.

I've wondered this, as well. Yesterday, I went back to the store that had them on sale, only to find that the selection had dwindled. I snoozed and lost, as it were. Still, definitely something I'll consider for the future. Struck me as a really well-made shoe.

Well I have yet to try a pair of Filson footwear, but I can vouch for some of their clothing line. I have a few hats , a double Mackinaw coat, mackinaw pants and bibs, and a tincloth cruiser jacket. I wear the tincloth jacket almost all winter long. It is a little stiff on some of the cold mornings but it has protected me from the elements more time than I can count. Had this coat almost 10 years and it still keeps on going. My Mackinaw pants are my dad's and he bought them brand new in the 70's. Filson makes some tough clothing.

I had the high liners (if that's what they're called) the 10" or so boots. They were nice - but only lasted about a year. The pro was, as others noted, they are super comfortable and are more "shoe like" so you can wear them in in a matter of days.

After the Filson's wore out, I tried out a few brands (Whites, Danner, Chippewea, etc) and settled with WESCO's. They're serious, SERIOUS boots, that aren't for the faint of heart, require boot socks, will take at least a month of daily use to break in and are incredibly heavy - but once you break 'em in, they're remarkably comfortable, and are built like a tank. I've got 4 hard years on my Wesco's - and they look darn near new... granted, I take good care of them - but I'm convinced they're go another 3-4 before they'll need to be resoled.... for the first time.

Filson is a retailer. They don't make anything.

I have a pair of their uplander chukkas also and they are great boots. I find the vibram soles and heels wear very well.

The only thing I find with Filson in general is you have to watch the sizes. Their stuff tends to be cut kind of skimpy. I wear size 10 boots and no matter the maker have always worn size 10 but had to get 10.5 with the Filson.

Are we talking Filson as in Filson of Seattle, of Tin Cloth fame? If so, bigspendur, they're not a retailer. For clothing, at least, the make almost all of their stuff (the factory is in the back of their flagship store). For luggage and footwear, though, that may not be the case.

I've owned a number of Filson items, both for work and caseua wear, and there are two things that always recommend them: quality and lifetime guarantee. "Whatever, forever." is their fix or replace motto for clothing. Can't get much better than that.

If durability and customer care is what you're after, just give them a call and see if their lifetime guarantee extends to footwear.

Cheers!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are we talking Filson as in Filson of Seattle, of Tin Cloth fame? If so, bigspendur, they're not a retailer. For clothing, at least, the make almost all of their stuff (the factory is in the back of their flagship store). For luggage and footwear, though, that may not be the case.

Actually, I think most of thier stuff is now made overseas, with the exception of some "flagship" high-end stuff (like most of the luggage, for example.) I have a few luggage items that they made in Seattle, and they are great. The imported stuff I cannot say.

FWIW, on the Filson website, find the item in question, and click on "product details" ... it'll say USA or imported. The boots are imported: http://www.filson.com/product/index...&cp=2069836.2065000.2075093&parentPage=family

Like a few other members, I had a pair of the Uplander Chukkas that I wore daily for about 2 years. I could have got a lot more wear out of them but my wife-to-be decided I needed something more stylish for the office. (What can I say, I live in the Northwest.) Anyway, I really liked the boots and thought they wore well. I ended up taking them into a cobbler and having a heel tap put on the sole, and fairly early on I swapped the cork insoles for a pair of Superfeet.

As far as the discussion about Filson outsourcing, 10+ years ago I had a friend that worked for the company and most, if not all, of the clothing was made in-house. However, when I bought my boots a few years ago the particular store owner indicated Filson's "old man" had passed operations onto his son, who began outsourcing a lot of items to China. I have no idea where he got his information, but this guy was pretty disgruntled about the change.

Last edited:
The upland chukkas I have I bought about 2 years ago and they specifically say they are made by a shoe manufacturer here in the U.S. They are not imported.

hey all....i have a pair of filson loafers, very comfy....anyone know where I can get a set of their cork insoles? mine need replacing.

btw--my upland boots are ll bean kangaroo....very well made, light, durable and not too bad on the price.

hey all....i have a pair of filson loafers, very comfy....anyone know where I can get a set of their cork insoles? mine need replacing.

btw--my upland boots are ll bean kangaroo....very well made, light, durable and not too bad on the price.

Welcome to B&B -- stick around and post often!

Filson sells the insoles through their website. Thanks for your input on the loafers and LL Bean boots!

Welcome to B&B -- stick around and post often!

Filson sells the insoles through their website. Thanks for your input on the loafers and LL Bean boots!

Thanks for the reply...Filson no longer sells my size in insoles (13)....just need an idea on a good replacement cork insole for them..brand names...etc.

I live north of Seattle and get a chance to go to their flagship store every now and then. I think that the manufacturer on at least the shoes has recently changed. The ones I bought about three weeks ago were made in Costa Rica I think. I know that they used to be US made and was a little disappointed that they no longer are. If you look around the store, all the traditional Filson hunting and work gear is still US Made. Most of the newer styles that they have out, (like in the last 5 years), are imported. I wish it was all still made right here, but at least the things that to me are the real traditional Filson still are.

As far as the shoes I got, they are extremely comfortable and appear to be fairly durable as well.

Top Bottom