What's new

Film.

Aside from my phone camera, I’m Still Shooting only film, developing, and making my own prints!
Spotamatic Sp1000 with Zeiss 35mm f2.4
Pentax MX With assorted lenses
Rolleiflex 2.8
heavily modified old federal enlarger from the 40s now with m39 lens mount
and i mostly use ilford films papers and chemicals except for my hc-110 for when i stand develop old film

Aside from my phone camera, I’m Still Shooting only film, developing, and making my own prints!
Rolleiflex 2.8
and i mostly use ilford films papers and chemicals except for my hc-110 for when i stand develop old film
Nice. That sounds like an amazing set up. Would love to see some of your pics!

Rolleiflex 2.8
Which Federal enlarger do you have? I have a Federal cold light from the same era. It was my first enlarger which I got when I was about 12 years old. Mine is stock but I have thought of putting in an M39 mount and rigging up a glassless negative carrier.

It’s nice to see someone who is fully committed to film and darkroom printing!

Which Federal enlarger do you have? I have a Federal cold light from the same era. It was my first enlarger which I got when I was about 12 years old. Mine is stock but I have thought of putting in an M39 mount and rigging up a glassless negative carrier.

It’s nice to see someone who is fully committed to film and darkroom printing!
I have the model #269 junior, I picked it up because it was a relatively light portable suitcase model and before the world changed we were constantly on the road with family and work on both sides of the country. I put a 39mm mount in place of the 23 or something that was on there and it’s on a three point adjustable plate that I fabricated to dial in perfect focus across the print. Right now I have a Schneider 80mm f4 apochromatic which is versatile enough for both my 35mm negatives and my 6x6 negatives. It’s also got both the diffuser and condenser options for the light source. I also built in a holder in place of the old red swing out focusing filter for the ilford multigrade filters to make life a bit easier when doing split grade prints.
I love the process in film photography just as much as the photographs. I think it’s the same thing that drives us to hone and strop a razor , and build a lather before a nice shave. It’s slowing it all dow a bit to really appreciate life

I have the model #269 junior, I picked it up because it was a relatively light portable suitcase model and before the world changed we were constantly on the road with family and work on both sides of the country. I put a 39mm mount in place of the 23 or something that was on there and it’s on a three point adjustable plate that I fabricated to dial in perfect focus across the print. Right now I have a Schneider 80mm f4 apochromatic which is versatile enough for both my 35mm negatives and my 6x6 negatives. It’s also got both the diffuser and condenser options for the light source. I also built in a holder in place of the old red swing out focusing filter for the ilford multigrade filters to make life a bit easier when doing split grade prints.
I love the process in film photography just as much as the photographs. I think it’s the same thing that drives us to hone and strop a razor , and build a lather before a nice shave. It’s slowing it all dow a bit to really appreciate life
That lens mounting plate sounds interesting! Mine is a 269-CL which should be pretty similar.

5E124872-473C-49AD-9861-5740C4874D51.jpeg

When I got it, which was a very long time ago, I couldn’t get a sharp print. Much later I was either cleaning its lens and reversed the middle element. It now focused perfectly. Of course the original lens wasn’t too great. I have other enlargers but may get this one out again if I ever get back to wet printing. It handles 6x9 cm negatives which most of my others do not. It will need some upgrades Like you’ve done.

I haven’t printed in years but still shoot film and develop at home. I do miss the darkroom. I may set up something small in a bathroom rather than using the garage like I did before.

I’ve been wondering if there’s a enlarger I can use to make just small prints. 4x6 to 8x11 max.
I know I can do that with regular enlargers, but if it was tiny it would make the space issue much easier lol

That lens mounting plate sounds interesting! Mine is a 269-CL which should be pretty similar.

View attachment 1122926

When I got it, which was a very long time ago, I couldn’t get a sharp print. Much later I was either cleaning its lens and reversed the middle element. It now focused perfectly. Of course the original lens wasn’t too great. I have other enlargers but may get this one out again if I ever get back to wet printing. It handles 6x9 cm negatives which most of my others do not. It will need some upgrades Like you’ve done.

I haven’t printed in years but still shoot film and develop at home. I do miss the darkroom. I may set up something small in a bathroom rather than using the garage like I did before.
Oh yeah! That actually looks almost identical, only mine has a tall narrow cylinder in place of the flying saucer

I’ve been wondering if there’s a enlarger I can use to make just small prints. 4x6 to 8x11 max.
I know I can do that with regular enlargers, but if it was tiny it would make the space issue much easier lol
These old federal stow away or suitcase enlargers are great to keep a small footprint for smaller prints like that. If i need to make larger prints i just rotate the enlarger off the back of a table to project onto the floor and can get some big prints that way. Also there is the intrepid enlarger kit that turns your existing (or the intrepid camera) 4x5 large format camera into an enlarger capable of most 35mm, medium format, and of course the 4x5 negatives. though i suppose if you have a 4x5 Camera already it would be easier to make contact prints and you wouldn’t even need the enlarger!

So anyone shoot any film lately? I’ve been shooting a bunch but mostly just family around the house since we still can’t go anywhere lol.

Not any more, though I kept a Leica M3 just in case I ever got the bug again.

Back in the day my main films were Ilford FP4 and HP5 for B&W, and Provia, Velvia for colour.
I used to use an Ilford ISO 50 for black and white. Don't remember the name it was so long ago but from the specs, the equivalent today would be PAN F plus. Swore by Provia and Velvia as well as Reala 100.

Haven't shot film in a LONG time. Still have 2 Pentax K-1000s though as well as an AGFA Billy Record (1930 and still no light leaks) and a Mamiya that is totally manual. Love the new cameras but took better pictures when the brain used the analog light meter to set the shutter speed and aperture.

Last edited:
I have several rolls of Fuji 400 True Definition color film I got from Walmart when they were blowing them out in 2005. Been in my freezer ever since. I want to shoot with them but good luck getting them developed properly. 😞
This is the crux of why I went digital. When it got to the point that all the professional labs in my state were gone and WalMart was the only capability readily available (my place was far too small for a dark room), I had to give it up because my photos would be invariably ruined by wally-world. Those folks would run chemicals for DAYS without properly changing it.

Top Bottom