What's new

Film.

I use an Epson V550, similar to the 600.

I like it. Not a lot of bells and whistles which is my preference anyway.
Many would be underwhelmed by the software that comes with the scanner but it gets the job done.
Exactly what I like to hear. Not a bells and whistles kinda guy either. As long as it gives me clear scans I’ll be happy.

I have the V500 in addition to an older dedicated film scanner. The resolution on the 500 is pretty poor with 35mm. A lot of this is due to the inability of the film holder to maintain flatness.

A couple I took the other week.
Little flowers were a night time long exposure to do some experimenting.
08974D95-F616-46A6-9CD7-9920BC1E7327.jpeg

This one was taken during the day.
F812F7FA-61B1-4543-9AEF-79EBE6AF2E65.jpeg

Hi,

I may be getting back to film. I haven't done any since 2000 or so when I Went Digital. I still have a working Nikon FE, which happily complements my Nikon Df. I also have a Pentax 6x7 which (not exactly, but close enough) lines up with my Pentax 645D.

Anyway, just yesterday I tripped across this oddball scheme of using Fujifilm Instax one shot at a time in the 6x7. It looks so odd that I think I have to try that out. :p

For those that don't know, 6x7 is medium format and uses 60 mm wide 120 roll film. The Pentax 6x7 has a frame just a tad smaller than 60x70 mm and so a lot larger than 135 format (24x36 mm). The camera is an SLR. Looks like any other 135 one, just bigger. The 645 is also medium format and uses the same 120 film but runs it from top to bottom rather than from side to side and has a frame just a tad smaller than 60 x 45 mm.

The other thing is that I had a dedicated Kodak monochrome digital back on a Nikon F5. That gave me real B+W with digital. Not quite the same as converting a color digital shot even from a raw file. I sold that body for enough money to buy an entire used Pentax 645D kit.

But, that leaves me B+W-less. I might just revert back to B+W film with the FE and the 6x7. Probably mostly the 6x7, but I can do both should I wish. I have an extra bathroom I don't use the tub in. It sits in the room above my workshop and houses my ham station and a photo studio which I use for shooting product shots of my wife's original T-shirt designs for her website. I can easily put a B+W darkroom in over top the bathtub.

I haven't had such in quite a while. I used to go to a local camera shop and use their rent-a-darkroom. But, that shop had two owners who split the business and each moved into new locations and so lost the space for rent-a-darkrooms. By then, I was all digital anyway, so I didn't notice the loss until now. I did my own B+W and let their auto processor do the color.

But, both stores have lots of good used darkroom gear so I can recreate my own B+W darkroom at a fairly low cost. Something to think about.

Stan

Nice! If I had the space I’d set up a darkroom in a heartbeat lol. I might have to look into an enlarger though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi,

I may be getting back to film. I haven't done any since 2000 or so when I Went Digital. I still have a working Nikon FE, which happily complements my Nikon Df. I also have a Pentax 6x7 which (not exactly, but close enough) lines up with my Pentax 645D.

Anyway, just yesterday I tripped across this oddball scheme of using Fujifilm Instax one shot at a time in the 6x7. It looks so odd that I think I have to try that out. :p

For those that don't know, 6x7 is medium format and uses 60 mm wide 120 roll film. The Pentax 6x7 has a frame just a tad smaller than 60x70 mm and so a lot larger than 135 format (24x36 mm). The camera is an SLR. Looks like any other 135 one, just bigger. The 645 is also medium format and uses the same 120 film but runs it from top to bottom rather than from side to side and has a frame just a tad smaller than 60 x 45 mm.

The other thing is that I had a dedicated Kodak monochrome digital back on a Nikon F5. That gave me real B+W with digital. Not quite the same as converting a color digital shot even from a raw file. I sold that body for enough money to buy an entire used Pentax 645D kit.

But, that leaves me B+W-less. I might just revert back to B+W film with the FE and the 6x7. Probably mostly the 6x7, but I can do both should I wish. I have an extra bathroom I don't use the tub in. It sits in the room above my workshop and houses my ham station and a photo studio which I use for shooting product shots of my wife's original T-shirt designs for her website. I can easily put a B+W darkroom in over top the bathtub.

I haven't had such in quite a while. I used to go to a local camera shop and use their rent-a-darkroom. But, that shop had two owners who split the business and each moved into new locations and so lost the space for rent-a-darkrooms. By then, I was all digital anyway, so I didn't notice the loss until now. I did my own B+W and let their auto processor do the color.

But, both stores have lots of good used darkroom gear so I can recreate my own B+W darkroom at a fairly low cost. Something to think about.

Stan
EXCELLENT thoughts my friend. I am jealous! And also jealous of the cameras!

Hi,

Stan
Instax Mini should work well in the 6x7. You just have to load in the dark and process externally, or were you thinking of rigging up a camera back? It’s nice that you have a space that you can set up a darkroom and leave it up. Most of mine over the years have been temporary. I haven’t done any darkroom printing in a while but still develop and scan B&W film. Let us know how the project goes!

Exactly what I like to hear. Not a bells and whistles kinda guy either. As long as it gives me clear scans I’ll be happy.

I have the V600 and a super old Nikon V ( dedicated 35mm scanner ). it was too difficult to keep the Nikon compatible with modern OSs so the V600 is my modern equivalent ( I do not like silverfast). The irony is it is definitely not as good as the V, but good enough ( in practice digital is used more than film so it works ). I had a canon 9000 (?) flatbed scanner as well and that wasn’t that good either and stopped working on an OS revision as well.

Avi

Hi,

The Instax idea is to pop one shot out of the Instax and into the 6x7, then put the exposed shot back into the Instax body and let it run it out via the rollers which work the processing chemicals within the film. Yes, a changing bag needed at the least. But, sounds like fun anyway!

Stan

I have the V600 and a super old Nikon V ( dedicated 35mm scanner ). it was too difficult to keep the Nikon compatible with modern OSs so the V600 is my modern equivalent ( I do not like silverfast). The irony is it is definitely not as good as the V, but good enough ( in practice digital is used more than film so it works ). I had a canon 9000 (?) flatbed scanner as well and that wasn’t that good either and stopped working on an OS revision as well.

Avi
Just found the v600 in special so ordered it. Be here in a week I think.

Reactions: Avi
I’ll repeat my recommendation for the Vuescan software. It’s great for keeping older scanners going as it supports almost everything. It’s very capable software as well. Its a one time purchase with perpetual upgrades.

Hi,

The Instax idea is to pop one shot out of the Instax and into the 6x7, then put the exposed shot back into the Instax body and let it run it out via the rollers which work the processing chemicals within the film. Yes, a changing bag needed at the least. But, sounds like fun anyway!

Stan
Great idea! Let us know how it works.

Finished the roll of film and developed it. Used the cinestill df96 monobath and it only took 3 minutes for the whole process.

Used a phone app to make this scan, camera is the half frame with JCH StreetPan 400iso film

View attachment 1067175
So I received the new scanner today and I set out to testing it.
I figured I would compare it to a image I already showed here. Quote is scanned with an iPhone scanner. While this was with the Epson v600
BE95E73F-4181-4A0B-9953-4030ED146BBA.jpeg

Still trying to work out the settings, but the difference is really noticeable in the details.

So I received the new scanner today and I set out to testing it.
I figured I would compare it to a image I already showed here. Quote is scanned with an iPhone scanner. While this was with the Epson v600
View attachment 1115371
Still trying to work out the settings, but the difference is really noticeable in the details.
Looks good. Congratulations on the new toy!

Playing around with the new scanner again. Comparing an old image to a new version of it View attachment 1116251
The highlights are looking much better. I do see more grain in the shadow, but that always comes with more detail and is really only noticeable when zoomed in. Also looks like you need to watch out for dust. All and all I think you'll see great improvement once you get things dialed in. Keep at it you're certainly getting better results as you go!

I have a Nikon FE2 and a Canon Rebel 2000 that I'm wishing to part with. To be proper, should the details be posted here or in B/S/T?

The highlights are looking much better. I do see more grain in the shadow, but that always comes with more detail and is really only noticeable when zoomed in. Also looks like you need to watch out for dust. All and all I think you'll see great improvement once you get things dialed in. Keep at it you're certainly getting better results as you go!
Yeah I totally forgot to give the negatives a puff of air to get rid of any dust. I will be doing some tinkering in Lightroom to clean it up. The scanner has a dust removal option, I might use that next time.

Top Bottom