What's new

Film Tile holder

thinking at work I decided I could build a quick touch up tile holder for the 3M 14k.

build handle and base.

20200511_174827.jpg

get to work on my mandrel.

20200511_174847.jpg

refine and put my trinity rings on handle.

20200511_174951.jpg

attach to base.

20200511_175014.jpg

paint base black and coat with poly.

as @rbscebu says "we cant damage our manicure."

this a good idea or not....what say you?

I figure the tile could have a mishap so best to use silicone or non permanent adhesive. (happen to have rtv silicone on hand for knot setting.)

camo

Last edited:
Is tile flat enough?

im experimenting with it......seems okay and did not notice any wobble with the blade when flat against it.

worse comes to worse could mount glass, nylon, plastic, etc or whatever i deemed flat if this becomes an issue. just kicking an idea around with this.

so far I've seen good results with this specific piece. results seems as good as if not slightly better than the 12k I have......but I'm also new to this. lots to learn......lots to explore.

camo

im experimenting with it......seems okay and did not notice any wobble with the blade when flat against it.

worse comes to worse could mount glass, nylon, plastic, etc or whatever i deemed flat if this becomes an issue. just kicking an idea around with this.

so far I've seen good results with this specific piece. results seems as good as if not slightly better than the 12k I have......but I'm also new to this. lots to learn......lots to explore.

camo

the piece you see on there has had a lot of different things ran on it so I can evaluate what it does to the metal. the sheets are cheap so I feel like I have some room to experiment and can slap another sheet on it.

camo

I see your idea but I prefer holding in my palm but what works works.

understood.....and agree. would just like to keep the digits away from the blades I have. they are sharper than any other equipment that I have. since my transition....im impressed with th SR's capability.

camo

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
understood.....and agree. would just like to keep the digits away from the blades I have. they are sharper than any other equipment that I have. since my transition....im impressed with th SR's capability.

camo
A man must watch his digits. I keep my palm outstretched flat under the 3/4” acrylic just for that reason.

When I tried film a while back i went to a granite shop and got the guy to cut me some cutoffs in 1 1/4. Its thick enough to hold with one hand without worrying about your fingers.

decided to early american stain it.

20200514_173323.jpg

rtv silicone set quick but is drying now.

some asked if the tile surface is straight or flat and that got me thinking. I stuck my very old square on it in a lot of different places and felt no wobble and didnt see gaps.

20200514_173345.jpg

short of running a pencil grid sandpaper test.......any other ways to determine if the surface is truly satisfactorily flat?

I like this setup.....

camo

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ceramic tile is generally not flat enough. Polished marble or granite usually is but not always. Cast acrylic from a good source has never let me down. Some guys check with a professional grade straight edge against a bright light. It's still kind of subjective. Some rest the straightedge on two pieces of paper and slide another piece under the straight edge and check to see of the tension is the same along the entire span. Probably the most accurate method for the layman. I don't test. I know what works.

Top Bottom