What's new

Film, Stones, and Film again

I started honing with film shortly after I started shaving with a straight 6 years ago. I made plenty of mistakes, learned a lot and wore out most of the film I had. Single 9x13" sheets of 12, 9, 5, 3, 1, and .3u films were mostly worn out when I started looking into stones.

After several years learning stones with king 1k and 6k, Norton 8k, naniwa 12k, cnat, jnat, coti's, trans ark, and SB ark I've finally settled on 1 coti and the SB as the best edges I can produce.

On a whim the other day I grabbed the last 3x9" fairly worn out strip of 1u film I had left and took a blade I had just refreshed on my coti to the film. I even broke out a strip of .3u that I never used much and finished with a few light laps on it.

Today I did a half shave with one blade that went from the coti to 100 laps on the SB ark. The other half with the blade that went from the coti to the film. It had been so long since I'd used a film edge I couldn't remember what it was even like.

I've gotta say I was surprised. It was definitely a bit sharper than the ark edge, but it was just as smooth. Zero irritation and very smooth.

I'm thinking about grabbing a pack of 1u 6.5x9" 3M film from fiberoptics4sale.com just to have the film option when I get a hankerin' for a film edge.
I don't need 25 sheets of that but this place isn't selling single sheets anymore like they did when i bought from them 6 years ago. At $15.50 it'll be a lifetime supply of finishing film so I suppose it's no biggie.

Has anyone else gone back to film from stones and been pleasantly surprised?
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I go back and forth between film and Naniwas. Sometimes I set the bevel with sandpaper, sometimes film, sometimes the Naniwa Superstone 1k but I have a few other stones I simetimes use for bevel setting. Then the progression is usually film but occasionally if I feel like lapping the stones I will run the whole Naniwa progression. By the time I am done with the post finish balsa progression you can't tell the difference.

Amazon has various lapping film assortments, one sheet each of several grits. Here:
or if you got a good bevel setter you like,
or if you are a sticky-back sort of guy,

In terms of smoothness I like film / diamond paste edges on stainless razors. For early morning shaves prior to caffeine, I stick to smoother softer edges.

In terms of honing enjoyment, I do like the feedback from a natural stone, but sometimes when I have been going nuts trying to get a particularly frustrating coticule to work, it's just so relaxing to go back to the uniformity of film. Even synth stones have a variability that can be both enjoyable and irritating.

I also like film when I need a really sharp edge and just can't face the hassle of stones.

So yes - when I'm in the mood - film is fun.

Good to know I'm not alone. I think I will pick up some 1u film, especially for those few blades that just don't seem to respond as well to the coti/ark treatment.

I have found that finishing very lightly on my coti with baby oil to be the keenest and smoothest edges I can get to date, but I think this 1u film edge is a bump in keen without sacrificing smooth at all.

The black ark is very close to the coti on baby oil and getting closer with more use. Trans ark just isn't there yet but hopefully gets there with continued use.
I think the no brainer consistency of film will be nice to have for those razors that just aren't playing well with the stones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oil on coticule does up the game a bit, though it is regarded as mortal heresy in some circles. It is good, if you do that, to have two stones, one for use with water slurry and one for use with oil. An alternative to oil that is easily washed off the stone is dish soap. For slightly less buffering, shave lather.

The consistency of film makes it a good backup even for dedicated stone guys. You can spend all day figuring out some stones and some edges. Or you can just run the films and shave. The former can be fun, entertaining, even challenging, but there can be too much of a good thing and razors are not meant to be a game. They are meant to be specialized tools.

Oil on coticule does up the game a bit, though it is regarded as mortal heresy in some circles. It is good, if you do that, to have two stones, one for use with water slurry and one for use with oil. An alternative to oil that is easily washed off the stone is dish soap. For slightly less buffering, shave lather.

The consistency of film makes it a good backup even for dedicated stone guys. You can spend all day figuring out some stones and some edges. Or you can just run the films and shave. The former can be fun, entertaining, even challenging, but there can be too much of a good thing and razors are not meant to be a game. They are meant to be specialized tools.

I do have a 2nd coticule which behaves much better as a midrange stone with slurry but is not a great finisher. This other coti is a fantastic no nonsense finisher that I use with only water then finally with oil...a couple drops of dish liquid with a quick rinse and it's ready for water again.

I'm with you on the "game." There are times the challenge is good and fun and times when the fun turns to frustration and an edge just won't cooperate. In those times I need to bail myself out with something for my own sanity. My nani 12k used to be that for me but I wasn't all that happy with the edge or keeping it flat...seemed to bow badly once wet and I'd chase flat constantly. It would load with swarf almost instantly...too much hassle. I sold it a while back.
I think some fresh 1u film will be just the ticket.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used film for several months then bought some Shapton stones. Since I started using stones my edges weren’t turning out as well even with a balsa progression. I ordered a new pack of film a couple of hours ago. To me, honing is about as exciting as mopping the kitchen floor. Film is consistently precise and nearly foolproof and doesn’t require maintenance. I’m going back to what worked for me. Someone posted a source for 25 packs of single grits. I would like to have a 25 pack of 30u. Anyone know the source? The Method rules!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Try nanolaptech.com or thorlabs.com. Also on Amazon there are severlal 5 sheet bundles and one 50 sheet bundle. But really, 5 sheets ought to be enough to hone about 200 razors. Maybe a good bit more. Assuming you do the heavy work on sandpaper or stone, there's a lot of bevel setting in 5 sheets. ThorLabs does 25 sheet packs of the big sheets, and they send you free lab snacks with your order. Not sure if they have 30u though, now that I think of it. Nanolaptech has the best prices around.

I just checked the nanolaptech site and they do list 30micron and even 60 in aluminum oxide. They don't list any prices or quantities so I sent an email to check into it.

Turns out they are located not far from where I grew up here in Ohio, so I may have to make a trip over while visiting family.

I really just wanted the 1micron for use as a finisher, but maybe I'll get a 5, 3, 1, and .3 set for the heck of it if they'll do single(or a few) sheet orders. I just really don't want 25 packs of everything, nor do I want to pay $7 per individual sheet...

Just got an email back from nanolaptech.

8.5x11" is their standard size.
$1 per sheet when purchased in standard 100 sheet packs
$1.50 per sheet individually

In no way am I associated with them or receiving anything from them...just posting this info since someone here asked what was available and it isn't on their website.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah their prices are pretty hard to beat, good service, and I think that is the same price I paid like 5 years ago. Sweet. They could do with a more clicky feely web interface but emailing isn't so hard.

If a blade isn't responding well to my coti, I go back to my films. I start off resetting the bevel with them and them go up the progression. This tends to fix what ever is wrong with a troublesome razor. If I want the buttery coti edge again I do 5 to 10 light laps under running water and its good to go. Films can be quite handy if you don't have multiple grit stones on hand.

Larry

I finally got my films from nanolaptech. It was a bit of an ordeal and communication wasn't great but I was able to order single sheets for less than $2.80 delivered. I got 8.5x11" sheets, three each 5, 3, and 1u then 1 sheet of .3u
proxy.php

I ripped 1 of each sheet at 2 13/16" to get 3 11" long strips from each sheet. I have a Clauss razor that has been giving me trouble with my coti and was just a notch below the edge I typically get no matter what I tried.

I took it all the way back to my diamond plate to work on the tiniest bit of frown area back by the heel and start over with a fresh bevel. I went to the king 1k then actually jumped on the coti for a bit just to see how it would respond. It was actually cleaning up remarkably well straight from the king with water only circles.
proxy.php

Then I did did 30-50 laps on each of the 5, 3, and 1u film and have very strong tree topping.
proxy.php

Definitely looking forward to the shave. I won't be giving up the coti with baby oil for most of my razors but I'm glad to have a set of films to use when I want/need them.

Shave was great from that blade. Best edge that particular blade has had for sure.

Smooth and comfortable. I would say maybe a slight bump in sharpness from my best coti edges but a little "crispier" overall. Still hardly any AS sting like most of my other razors. I have a couple of old rusty bokers I picked up recently that have taken the keenest edges I've ever had from the coti with baby oil and this edge is very similar to those.

I won't be neglecting the coti but I'm glad to have this at my disposal for those stubborn edges.

Top Bottom