What's new

Film photography

Anyone here shoot film?

I am looking to get into 35mm and looking at some of the golden oldie starter cameras like the srt 101. Was wondering if anyone else did that or had experience with that camera or one like it?

Legion

Staff member
I no longer shoot film, but I have years of experience shooting with (and selling) cameras, back before the time of digital.

While an old mechanical camera like the Minolta you mention will probably still be working, the main issue you might find is the light seals have perished, and will need replacing. With this in mind, before you start haunting garage sales, etc for cameras, look for someone who can do any servicing that may be required on it, or you could end up wasting some time, film, and money.

I have a lot of film cameras though lately I haven't shot a lot of film. As @Legion says, while the light seals can be an issue, it's not hard to replace them. Someone recently gave me a Nikon FE2 and I did the seals in a few hours. Sourcing the foam took a little longer but there are kits online. YouTube videos show you how. I've been shooting film since the mid 60s so what may seem easy to me may not be trivial for someone just getting into the game. Lots of resources online.

Most cameras come with a 50mm lens. Look for something that has other focal lengths available. The Minoltas, Pentaxes, and Nikons of that era all perform well. Sometimes the light meters fail and you have to find substitute batteries. You can no longer get the old mercury cells.

I miss film sir cameras. Compared with today, limited choice, but they all seemed to have something special. Started with zenith from Russia, then Pentax, both screw lens. Last one was cannon eos1, a wonderful one to use.
I'd get one which needed no battery, but that would exclude self focusing ones.

I miss film sir cameras. Compared with today, limited choice, but they all seemed to have something special. Started with zenith from Russia, then Pentax, both screw lens. Last one was cannon eos1, a wonderful one to use.
I'd get one which needed no battery, but that would exclude self focusing ones.

Some film SLRs take common batteries. The FE2 takes two LR-44s. I have a Nikon N90s that takes AAs. Of course the earlier ones like the ones @Roy mentions work just fine without a battery. You just need a handheld meter or a metering app for your phone.

I live shooting film. I currently have a Leica M4-P, Nikon F2 and a Nikon F5. I shoot mostly black and white film so I can develop it at home for much cheaper.

Honestly if I was buying just one camera these days I’d look for a Nikon F3. A great camera that has many options for viewfinders and lenses.

Some film SLRs take common batteries. The FE2 takes two LR-44s. I have a Nikon N90s that takes AAs. Of course the earlier ones like the ones @Roy mentions work just fine without a battery. You just need a handheld meter or a metering app for your phone.
The F3 takes button batteries which are easy to find. The f4 and later take AA batteries so you have no problem finding those.

I enjoy shooting my F5 because of its fast focus and shutter speeds, but taking it slow with the F2 is just as fun.

Anyone here shoot film?

I am looking to get into 35mm and looking at some of the golden oldie starter cameras like the srt 101. Was wondering if anyone else did that or had experience with that camera or one like it?
The Minolta SR-T101 was my main camera for over 30 years. I got it new around 1967. I liked it so much I got an SR-T102 to work with it. One camera for a telephoto lens, the other camera for a regular lens. It's easy to use. For example, the light meter doesn't turn off after 20 seconds. It's not automatic, it just suggests an aperture. You don't have to hold the shutter release halfway down to get a reading. The only shortcoming is that the lenses it uses can't be used in other Minolta SLR series cameras and vice-versa.

Around the year 2001, I moved to Nikons, using an F1 and an F3HP. Note: if you wear glasses, the F3HP is preferable to the F3.

I am having a hard time finding a 35mm camera in good condition if anyone has one like the 101 or one like it they would part with let me know.

Could you be more specific about your criteria? What are you looking for? Film or digital? SLR or rangefinder? Mirrorless? What do you mean by good condition? What is your price range? Do you have any favorite brands? Where have you looked?

So I’m looking for a mirolto srt 101 or 102 or canon ae-1 or pentax k1000 or something similar to those. I was told I should be able to get a nice one for about 100, but I’m willing to adjust. My main thing is finding a camera that has no haze or fungus so picture quality is unaffected. I don’t mind wear as long as it’s strictly cosmetic.

Legion

Staff member
So I’m looking for a mirolto srt 101 or 102 or canon ae-1 or pentax k1000 or something similar to those. I was told I should be able to get a nice one for about 100, but I’m willing to adjust. My main thing is finding a camera that has no haze or fungus so picture quality is unaffected. I don’t mind wear as long as it’s strictly cosmetic.
You might need to raise your budget somewhat, especially with a lens. Ten years ago you could have bought usable $100 slr cameras all day. These days millennials are creating a resurgence in interest in film shooting, and it has driven the prices right up, even for real junk cameras.

I'm not even sure how many film cameras I have... has to be at least twenty though.

Trying to thin the herd a little though... the only ones I keep coming back to again and again and again are a pair of 1970s Fujicas (ST705 and ST801) and a 1954 Rolleicord V TLR...

At one point I had close to 50 cameras and half a dozen enlargers and a literal garage full of other film related stuff...

I'm not even sure how many film cameras I have... has to be at least twenty though.

Trying to thin the herd a little though... the only ones I keep coming back to again and again and again are a pair of 1970s Fujicas (ST705 and ST801) and a 1954 Rolleicord V TLR...

At one point I had close to 50 cameras and half a dozen enlargers and a literal garage full of other film related stuff...
Yeah, I'm drowning in cameras too and I haven't even shot much lately. I have a Leica M4 that I use more than anything. I have a few Nikon SLRs that I use occasionally. There are a bunch of box cameras and folders that come out once in a while for fun. I only have four enlargers though 😎 I haven't used those in years.

Film Photography paid bills 30 years.

Started with Pentex MX’s, and a few lenses. They were OK, but did not standup to hard use.

Moved to Nikon great stuff, but the hard to get lenses made me drop Nikon

Moved to Canon’s F-1’s, and T-90’s. Canon Professional Service was great to me. They always sent me loaner if I need a repair.

Then in 90 they released the EOS-1.

I was on fence about going to New System. Friend was contract photographer for Time magazine. We crossed paths on day in when we were shooting same event.

I notice the Nikon guy was shooting with a EOS system. Said what you doing with Canon? You’re a Nikon guy. He said was.

Apparently Canon loaded him a system to try, he love it, dumped his Nikon stuff.

I asked what did you buy? Taking notes, then a week later I order my EOS System.

Was nice going from 13 fixed focal length lenses to 5 lenes.

Sold the old stuff, got good price, upgrade was not bad money wise. Plus it was Tax Deductible.

I went EOS before most of the photographer, had not switched.

Today Canon is still the BEST
system available.

Retired in 1997, film was being replaced by digital.

My uncle was a photographer for 25 years. He also retired in the late 90s’. He made the switch to digital, but ended up retiring because he didn’t care for the instant turn around that everyone wanted. He used cannon in the 90s as well.

Do you search for a SLR, or do you also consider a rangefinder? If you want to test film there are loads of fixed lens rangefinders on the market. Check the light meters and also which battery they use. The Wein cell batteries substitute PX625 batteries if you search for an old camera. As pointed out in previous posts do check the light seals.

Legion

Staff member
Do you search for a SLR, or do you also consider a rangefinder? If you want to test film there are loads of fixed lens rangefinders on the market. Check the light meters and also which battery they use. The Wein cell batteries substitute PX625 batteries if you search for an old camera. As pointed out in previous posts do check the light seals.
Just FYI. The new 625 batteries are silver oxide, and 1.5v. The originals were mercury and 1.35v The new ones will still work, but may make the light meter inaccurate.

Top Bottom