What's new

Film honing demo on youtube

I have been making my way through the Lapping film, try it thread (up to page 43) and have just watched the videos. Everything seems to work in the videos as I imagined it while reading, except for one thing. In the first video when setting the bevel, @Slash McCoy appears to be moving the razor back and forth on the film, rather than using edge leading strokes as he does in the rest of the video. Is this the correct way to raise a burr, or am I reading too much into this? I am planning on buying some film to try this, but want to make sure that I am doing it correctly when I do.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You must hone on one side at a time to raise a burr. You can lift the razor from the film after each edge-leading stroke, or you can leave it on the film and hone back and forth. Back and forth or circle strokes or oval strokes is more efficient.You don't have to do it that way but you do have to stay on one side and not use alternating laps. You will not raise a burr with alternating laps.

Thanks for the response, Slash. I knew that the burr had to be raised on one side at a time. It was the back and forth motion that was confusing me, since the rest of the process is supposed to be done with the edge leading. It's good to know that the setting the burr step can be done in this manner to speed up the process.

Top Bottom