What's new

Film honing demo on youtube

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The flat granite plate I just got weighs 26lbs. Holding in my hand is not an option. I think my touch is pretty light & even though. Time will tell.

Yeah that would present a difficulty. In your case you got to do it the best way you can, and that probably means laying it down on something! I was thinking about getting one of those granite plates myself, from Lee Valley, when they had them on sale, but I do prefer to hold my plate or stone in hand, so I didn't bite. Maybe if I could get it cut down to about 3" wide, though...

I'm wondering how there can be a bur on both sides.......that would mean the edge is splayed both ways at the same time?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm wondering how there can be a bur on both sides.......that would mean the edge is splayed both ways at the same time?

No, not both sides at once! You raise a burr on one side. When you determine that it exists along the entire edge with no gaps, then you flip the blade and raise a burr on the OTHER side. Then when you find the burr is present on that side, you hone it off with regular alternating laps. You can't have a burr on both sides at once. The first couple of half laps on the second side will eradicate the first burr, possibly pushing vestiges of it to the second side. Try it and see. It will become quite clear to you. Try an old junker of an ebay rescue first before anything with significant value. You will be less hesitant and more go-for-it.

Do any of you guys know a diamond lapping film supplier that ships internationally? I have aluminium oxide film but was hoping to get hold of some diamond film if possible. I’ve searched endlessly online but all I ever seem to turn up are the same few vendors on eBay that sell aluminium oxide film and I’m not even sure it’s genuine 3M film.

EDIT: Sorry, I’ve just realised this thread is 5 years old. I blame Chan Eil Whiskers, that old necromancer!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Some threads benefit from an airing out every couple of years. And it saves guys having to post the same thing over and over.

And BTW, diamond film isn't all that. It does last longer, but doesn't hone any better and it is hard to find full size sheets of it, and of course it costs a good bit more. AlOx is good stuff.

Some threads benefit from an airing out every couple of years. And it saves guys having to post the same thing over and over.

And BTW, diamond film isn't all that. It does last longer, but doesn't hone any better and it is hard to find full size sheets of it, and of course it costs a good bit more. AlOx is good stuff.
OK, great, thanks. I’ll order some AlOx from a US vendor. I have some already but I suspect it’s not 3M. The coating started coming off when I used it to buff out some scratches in a DE razor...unless that’s normal.

Haven't watched these yet, but I definitely will. I appreciate the videos. My films should be here very soon (hopefully today). I've got 12u, 5u, 3u and 1u on their way and I'll be using them on a quartz sink cutout I've got that I'll cut down.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Do any of you guys know a diamond lapping film supplier that ships internationally? I have aluminium oxide film but was hoping to get hold of some diamond film if possible. I’ve searched endlessly online but all I ever seem to turn up are the same few vendors on eBay that sell aluminium oxide film and I’m not even sure it’s genuine 3M film.

EDIT: Sorry, I’ve just realised this thread is 5 years old. I blame Chan Eil Whiskers, that old necromancer!
I’ve used film from China via eBay and it is fine. @Slash McCoy reports that the diamond paste from China works well as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I can find AlOx film on eBay but the only diamond film I ever seem to come across is in disc form (from anywhere). I've not thought about using paste; not even sure how I'd go about that.

You use the paste on balsa after honing and as daily post shave edge maintenance. See the pasted balsa thread and the other threads listed within this one:

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade

AKA "The Method".

Yeah that would present a difficulty. In your case you got to do it the best way you can, and that probably means laying it down on something! I was thinking about getting one of those granite plates myself, from Lee Valley, when they had them on sale, but I do prefer to hold my plate or stone in hand, so I didn't bite. Maybe if I could get it cut down to about 3" wide, though...

I am using glass plates under film, and have glued conveyer belting to the underside of the plates. This gives the plates a compressible cushion that helps to compensate for the fact that I prefer to lay them on the bench.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My questions are about grit comparisons and quality and anything else I am missing and do not understand here.

Used this to set 3M Lapping Film Assortment 1 ea of 30,12,9,3,1,.5 & 0.3 micron 8.5 x 11 SHEETS | eBay a bevel on a new razor. It was interesting to feel the changes in the blade going from 30 micron to .5 microns. I followed with laps on the Illinois linen/horse hide strop.

upload_2018-10-6_17-27-25.png

upload_2018-10-6_17-35-24.jpeg

upload_2018-10-6_17-28-52.png

I may be missing something obvious, but why are these different? Both are 3M. One says US made; the other Singapore.

Is there anywhere selling the US made 3M product by the sheet? Is the US stuff better?

Happy shaves,

Jim

My questions are about grit comparisons and quality and anything else I am missing and do not understand here.

View attachment 917965

View attachment 917979

View attachment 917967

I may be missing something obvious, but why are these different? Both are 3M. One says US made; the other Singapore.

Is there anywhere selling the US made 3M product by the sheet? Is the US stuff better?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have no idea why the difference. I contacted Nanolap by email. The sales manager responded that I could purchase lapping film one sheet at a time.

@steveclarkus recommended the eBay seller who had the non adhesive back sheets. So, I cleaned the 12x12 marble tile and sprayed it with water. I placed the film on the tile and squeegeed with a credit card. Then sprayed the top and started the "burr process".

Top Bottom