What's new

Filly strop reverse side

Hi all, I received my Filly strop today and on the reverse side with which he put paste on is confusing me. How and when should I use it? Do I use it with the razor edge facing like a hone, or like I would on the regular side? BTW, I am not going to use it at all until it gets really, really dull but I'd still like to know.

Thank you!

It's a chromium oxide paste for touching up the razor every once in a while. You strop is as you would on the leather side (or you'll end up cutting the strop pretty badly). I use mine may once every two weeks but that would depend on how often you shave and your razor I guess.

Don't wait until it becomes to dull. It may not be enough to bring the edge back.

Last edited:
Hi all, I received my Filly strop today and on the reverse side with which he put paste on is confusing me. How and when should I use it? Do I use it with the razor edge facing like a hone, or like I would on the regular side? BTW, I am not going to use it at all until it gets really, really dull but I'd still like to know.

Thank you!

Exact same stropping motions as the front side.

Use 5-10 "round trip" laps when the razor seems to be not giving quite as good a shave as it has been. For a newbie that may be hard to judge so it won't hurt to do it once a week or so.

The answers here are just what you need probably.
But if you are in any doubt, don't hesitate to contact Ken directly.
He's an awesome guy to deal with & has some supreme knowledge about everything concerning straights!

Top Bottom