What's new

fill lamy safari with converter

I just got my Lamy Safari with the converter after reading many good things about them on here and other sites. My question is how to fill it. Do I just stick the whole nib in the ink and twist the knob on the converter to suck the ink up in the pen? That's what it looks like but I'm having trouble finding the answer on the net so I decided to query you fine gentlemen (and ladies). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you stick the nib into the ink and twist. You may need to do this a few times to get the converter mostly filled. Once filled, turn the cartridge back until 3 drops leave the nib back into the bottle. Wipe and away you go.

BTW- hit youtube...there are a few useful vids on the subject.

I tried what you said and it worked for the most part, but I can only get it to fill about half way, if that. I tried filling it more than a few times and it looks like it's gonna fill the whole way, but then the bubbles start to pop and the level stops about half way every time. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried what you said and it worked for the most part, but I can only get it to fill about half way, if that. I tried filling it more than a few times and it looks like it's gonna fill the whole way, but then the bubbles start to pop and the level stops about half way every time. Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you have the whole nib in the ink. Tilt the converter slightly.

You actually need to completely submerge the nib; there's a "breather hole" in the plastic at the base which must also be submerged. If there isn't ink on the nib end of the finger grip area you haven't submerged the pen deep enough.

If you haven't figured it out already, always have lots of paper towels on hand when filling a fountain pen. ;)

No problem. The Safari is a great introduction to fountain pens, they flow great and the steel nibs are smooth but tough. If you're anything like me, you'll eventually want something with a gold nib for more flex (so you don't have to press as hard on the paper), but for the price of a new italic nib you can repurpose them later for calligraphy, because they make excellent calligraphy pens. (Flex isn't as desireable in italic nibs.)

I own two and I never hesitate to recommend them.

I've have used every excuse to write with it since it came in yesterday and I love it. I wish I had gotten the extra fine nib instead of the fine nib, but they're so inexpensive I can gift this one to the wife and get the extra fine for myself at some point in the future. I might just get one from penworks and use that with this pen.

I have a penholder in forearm part of the sleeve of my uniform. I want to keep it in there. Do you think there will be a problem with it leaking? I have read that people keep them in pockets all day with no problems, I just don't want to ruin a good top.

You should have no carry problems. The Safari is my take out pen when I am bumming out and about. They can take a licking and keep on ticking. Great carry pen because it is so light.

I fill most of my pens using a syringe. Waist less ink, less messy and you get a full fill.

Top Bottom