What's new

Fili vs Iwasaki

I have both and both are absolutely exceptional shavers. Fili 14s are more extra hollows and singing - so it's up to your personal preference.

I have both and both are absolutely exceptional shavers. Fili 14s are more extra hollows and singing - so it's up to your personal preference.

I appreciate a heavy blade now and then, but usually choose one that talks back. Some of the Iwasakis look like a thin grind, but usually aren’t wider than 5/8 or so, so they may not have that audible quality.

I appreciate a heavy blade now and then, but usually choose one that talks back. Some of the Iwasakis look like a thin grind, but usually aren’t wider than 5/8 or so, so they may not have that audible quality.
Well, if you like a loud feedback then Fili #14 is indeed your way to go.

No hesitation for me - it would be that tamahagane steel by world class artisans. Seriously has to be some of the best there is.

No hesitation for me - it would be that tamahagane steel by world class artisans. Seriously has to be some of the best there is.

I’ve dropped enough razors to know that the tamahagane models are out of my price range for a user.

I do have both Iwasaki tamahagane (not all Iwasaki razors are) and some other crucible steel razors, and as collectible items I value them very much, disregarding their higher price. However I have to say they do not shave any better than any other good and well-honed razor. So to the OP my advise would still be to go with his personal preference: extra singing hollow and wide #14 versus narrower and just full hollow Iwasaki. Unless the collectability is a factor also.

I understand that the Iwasaki family is still producing razors. But I have only seen kamisoris for sale. I'm thinking they don't make western straights anymore. Would anyone know?

No more straights are being made. Ryuichi Mizuouchi is making the kamisoris. There is a nice video showing him honing one.
Most Iwasaki western razors are the standard 13/16.
Honestly if you are a hobbyist and collector then having both is the way to go. If you are just a user then go by which grind you prefer like dimab said above.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Historically, Iwasaki used 3 steels I believe, carbon, Swedish, and tamehagane. He also made a variety of grinds, so if the grind is important it’s useful to know which Iwasaki you’re buying. Filarmonica basically only made 2 razors in the 14 series, though the Sub Cero was harder cryo steel.

If you’re looking at a vintage NOS western Iwasaki 13/16 full hollow tamehagane, you’re looking at spending $3,000-3,500. If you can find one. They come up from time to time on Yahoo Japan, and they sell for that in the Japanese market too.

I understand that the Iwasaki family is still producing razors. But I have only seen kamisoris for sale. I'm thinking they don't make western straights anymore. Would anyone know?
It might be worth getting an Iwasaki kamisori, it is an absolute joy to use

Top Bottom