What's new

Fili love what makes it so good!

Hi gents! Great thread! Does anyone by any chance have any information about this Fili 14? Apparently the Salamanca shop is still around today. Please disregard the phot of the Kron Vest Gran Mogol.

Thanks!

Vr

matt
46231EF3-F1EE-485C-BD9C-EB6881C71E2C.jpeg
C9BCFD82-8F50-49E9-856C-838BB1FD24C5.jpeg

Any information on the Salamanca Filarmonica 14?

I heard from two sources in North America that it was likely reground by the Salamanca shop into an extra full hollow, and I must say it is the finest grind and best singing blade that I have ever used.

I also have a pal in Spain who does not believe that to be true. He thought JMP would have gone ballistic if someone was customizing his razors. He also said that the Salamanca stamp would have had to have been done during the initial heat treat...otherwise it would have been re-heat treated and stamped since one can’t stamp like that on cold steel. He does not believe that it was heated a second time.

So I don’t know, but that is the lore I have been able to gather thus far!

Vr

Matt

Any information on the Salamanca Filarmonica 14?

I heard from two sources in North America that it was likely reground by the Salamanca shop into an extra full hollow, and I must say it is the finest grind and best singing blade that I have ever used.

I also have a pal in Spain who does not believe that to be true. He thought JMP would have gone ballistic if someone was customizing his razors. He also said that the Salamanca stamp would have had to have been done during the initial heat treat...otherwise it would have been re-heat treated and stamped since one can’t stamp like that on cold steel. He does not believe that it was heated a second time.

So I don’t know, but that is the lore I have been able to gather thus far!

Vr

Matt

Gents,

I re-looked at my old emails, and the Salamanca Filarmonica 14 razor, which is my finest shaver, was an Especial according to the gent that did the restoration. However, he could not save the gold wash...it didn’t look right, so he removed it. In addition, it has the same markings on the front of the tang as the second generation Especial Filarmonica 14. The fact that there was some Especial gold wash on it just before restoration indicates the Salamanca cutlery shop didn’t do any grinding. These types of razors must have been blades to be sold by that specific cutler.

Pretty neat!

Vr

Matt

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The value of gen 2 and later is certainly less in non-original scales - and the scales were unique to the brand AFAIK.

I'm not sure why so many have a hate on for the scales. They are just fine and what was meant to be on them from the MFG.
They certainly do lose value when changed.
Like a classic car that could have modern upgrades, original is always preferred.

Great thread, started 2014. I hope people will keep this thread going. I just received my 13 the other day. Looks great and I have not yet decided if I will hone and shave or save as a collector's item. I'm wondering if someone can date this specific razor. Based on earlier posts here, I am still not clear on a date. I know the lyre replaced the JMP in the face etch, so it can't be a very early version. (And I have a First Gen coming in and I will post that one when it arrives.)

jmp.jpg

Great thread, started 2014. I hope people will keep this thread going. I just received my 13 the other day. Looks great and I have not yet decided if I will hone and shave or save as a collector's item. I'm wondering if someone can date this specific razor. Based on earlier posts here, I am still not clear on a date. I know the lyre replaced the JMP in the face etch, so it can't be a very early version. (And I have a First Gen coming in and I will post that one when it arrives.)

View attachment 1202491

There is none of my razors so collectable that I won't shave with it.

The only thing that keeps me from shaving with any of my
razors is another razor that I want to shave with instead.

This Filarmonica is in my regular rotation.

DSCN0862b.jpg

Steve56

View attachment 1202491

Send it to me, I’ll collect it for you lol. I’m guessing late 1950s and more likely the 1960s, based on the stamp, graphics, and white box. But that is a guess. I have its big brother in the 14 size.

Happy new year everyone!

Steve56

I have just purchased the same brand filarmonica how's she shave ?

Terrible, send it to me for proper disposal....

Seriously, if you’re talking about the 14 Sub Cero, I did an edge longevity test with mine and got 153 shaves from it. There’s a thread here started by Alfredo who got 134 out of a vintage TI.

I have just purchased the same brand filarmonica how's she shave ?

They shave amazingly Gary! I prefer the full hollow grinds, and the 1st and 2nd GEN Filarmonica 14, Imperial 14, and Kron Vest Gran Mogol Triple Medalla 14 razors are at the top of the pyramid of razors I have experienced!

The Dubl Duck 13/16 Goldedge razors probably come in second, followed by my Henckels Guillermo Hoppe 14.

You are in for a treat!

Vr

Matt

They shave amazingly Gary! I prefer the full hollow grinds, and the 1st and 2nd GEN Filarmonica 14, Imperial 14, and Kron Vest Gran Mogol Triple Medalla 14 razors are at the top of the pyramid of razors I have experienced!

The Dubl Duck 13/16 Goldedge razors probably come in second, followed by my Henckels Guillermo Hoppe 14.

You are in for a treat!

Vr

Matt

Thanxs Matt so far I have the 14 DT and I love it . I think it's first or second generation it does not say made in Spain on the back side of tang . I have a 14 especial on the way and sub cero so it will be interesting to compare than all . I expect they will shave pretty much a like . I also prefer the hollow full hollow grind . [/QUOTE]

Thanxs Matt so far I have the 14 DT and I love it . I think it's first or second generation it does not say made in Spain on the back side of tang . I have a 14 especial on the way and sub cero so it will be interesting to compare than all . I expect they will shave pretty much a like . I also prefer the hollow full hollow grind . I will try and upload some pictures when the rest arrive there coming from Spain there do have some marks on them but no hone wear .
I
[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom