What's new

Fili love what makes it so good!

@WenC, To retain the gold wash/plating, do not use abrasives like sandpaper or steel wool. It is, however, safe to use WD-40 on a cotton cloth for the gold wash. If you decide to sand the other parts of the blade, cover the gold wash with tape.

I would also read the last few months of What's on your work bench right now? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/whats-on-your-work-bench-right-now.503881/ - contains tons of valuable information.
Will do. I don't have many power tools but I don't mind taking it slow hands-on. Thank you.

Just got it. Excuse the bad lighting. It has two micro chips, smiling wedge, and some stains. It should be easy fix as long I put in few hours. I think it is a second generation and it has no stamp on tang. I won't be touching until I perfect my honing with gold dollar. Saw couple videos on smiling wadge. I just need to revisit it again later.
20220705_200451.jpg
20220705_200632.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Just got it. Excuse the bad lighting. It has two micro chips, smiling wedge, and some stains. It should be easy fix as long I put in few hours. I think it is a second generation and it has no stamp on tang. I won't be touching until I perfect my honing with gold dollar. Saw couple videos on smiling wadge. I just need to revisit it again later. View attachment 1483477View attachment 1483479

You have an excellent razor! It is almost unused. Are you sure that it’s a wedge?

It is not smiling much, look at the spine wear, it’s straight snd even, pretty much. Yes, look at the spine wear to see what the edge shape is. If the edge profile had worn into a smile very much, you would see it as wider spine wear at the toe vs the middle.The edge also looks straight.

Next, look at the toe. Filarmonicas usually had a very round toe, and yours does. If a Filarmonica toe is square, the razor has likely been worn down and the toe is more square.

Get it cleaned up and honed, and shave with it.

Congrats !

You have an excellent razor! It is almost unused. Are you sure that it’s a wedge?

It is not smiling much, look at the spine wear, it’s straight snd even, pretty much. Yes, look at the spine wear to see what the edge shape is. If the edge profile had worn into a smile very much, you would see it as wider spine wear at the toe vs the middle.The edge also looks straight.

Next, look at the toe. Filarmonicas usually had a very round toe, and yours does. If a Filarmonica toe is square, the razor has likely been worn down and the toe is more square.

Get it cleaned up and honed, and shave with it.

Congrats !
Maybe I got it wrong. The test was to put it flat and touch 4 corners. It is uneven on one corner that makes clicking sound. Let me know if that's correct

With reference to this youtube,
@1:52 it's called the wobble test. I got it wrong. Not smiling wedge, just slight uneven spine.

@WenC, The classic example of a smile is on 19th century Sheffield razors - like old Wade & Butchers near wedges. It is assumed that these razors were made with curved edges referred to as smiling wedges. It is common to use rolling x-strokes when honing these razors. See:

It is not uncommon for used "modern" razors to develop hints of a smile - most commonly near the toe and/or the heel. In order to reach the last few mm of the edge near the toe and/or heel on such a razor, you may need to use a rolling x-stroke for the last portion of the edge near the toe and/or heel.

Before using rolling x-strokes on valuable razor, you definitely want to practice on a beater or GD. Depending on the amount of smile, you may not need to lift the toe and/or heel off the razor and, instead, do what is called "roll the pressure". Whatever you do, start easy using light pressure and minimal lifting to understand the edge. It's all about understanding/discovering where the edge is and working with the blade's geometry. If you need to lift the toe and/or heel a bit to reach the last few mm, that's OK and just the way the razor is.

What you don't want to do is get frustrated, apply too much pressure to the toe and/or heel, which I have done more than once, and remove more metal than you intended to, gouging the toe and/or heel.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Anyone know where I can buy Filarmonica scales for replacements? Also is the Filarmonica manufacturer still around? Who is making these You are being redirected... - https://www.barberdepots.com/product/filarmonica-straight-razor/

Which ones are you looking for? There’s no single source for replacements for various models.

The early ones were just plain Bakelite. The later ones were fairly unique although some other Spanish razors used similar ones. You might contact 1Stone dot fr, occasionally they have some scales for nice vintage razors. Also restorers like Griffith might be work a message.

Anyone know where I can buy Filarmonica scales for replacements? Also is the Filarmonica manufacturer still around? Who is making these You are being redirected... - https://www.barberdepots.com/product/filarmonica-straight-razor/
Hopefully since you found this thread you've read post #25. Most members here and on other forums regard it as the best source of information on Fili's. It states that the company closed in 1990. The item shown in the link you posted appears to be a shavette from the description. Possibly some company acquired the rights to the name and images and is selling these. But in my book, that's no Filarmonica. Nice razor you got by the way.

I picked up a Filarmonica Especial 14 the other day for a whooping $70 CAD ($50 USD?). Although it looks pretty new, my understanding of the markings is it would be pre-1959 first generation. I'd appreciate any input on whether I got this right.

It's my first Filarmonica and I have to admit that it readily took a nice edge, shaves great and is the lightest easiest handling 8/8ths that I have. I've included a grind-view.
Filarmonica 14 C.PNG
Filarmonica 14 B.PNG

It came with a second razor labelled "PAKISTAN" which I'm thinking would better be reserved for buttering my toast in the mornings.

I picked up a Filarmonica Especial 14 the other day for a whooping $70 CAD ($50 USD?). Although it looks pretty new, my understanding of the markings is it would be pre-1959 first generation. I'd appreciate any input on whether I got this right.

It's my first Filarmonica and I have to admit that it readily took a nice edge, shaves great and is the lightest easiest handling 8/8ths that I have. I've included a grind-view.
View attachment 1505995View attachment 1505996
It came with a second razor labelled "PAKISTAN" which I'm thinking would better be reserved for buttering my toast in the mornings.
What a steal! Beautiful blade!
I believe its a 2nd gen by the straight lettering and font. You did very well!

Top Bottom