What's new

Fili love what makes it so good!

Likely if the monkey tail is stamped. That was done apparently to designate who covered the warranty.

The best solution is a buying service like Tenso/Buyee.

What is the significance of the letter in the monkey tail stamps? Of the ones I've seen for sale, I've seen B, P, S, and T (and maybe others, but I wasn't paying attention at the time). From what I can tell, the Bs are usually Medallon Taurinos, Ps are Novodurs, Ns are Inoxes, S is Sub Cero, and Ts are ESPDs. But I don't know if that's actually the case. Anyone have insights?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What is the significance of the letter in the monkey tail stamps? Of the ones I've seen for sale, I've seen B, P, S, and T (and maybe others, but I wasn't paying attention at the time). From what I can tell, the Bs are usually Medallon Taurinos, Ps are Novodurs, Ns are Inoxes, S is Sub Cero, and Ts are ESPDs. But I don't know if that's actually the case. Anyone have insights?

Which importer was responsible for the warranty.

Steve56

So the letter refers to the importer? I've seen other manufacturers' razors for the Japanese market that had model numbers stamped on the tail but no letters.

That’s what I’ve heard, and it makes sense, the number was the Filarmonica model and the letter the Japanese importer. I have no first hand knowledge of course, but the tang stamp designating the warranty provider is what what one very reputable seller of a Novodur (which I bought) told me. I don’t know about other brands.

My Doble Temple has no tail stamp and my Medallion Taurino is stamped "13-R". I don't know what the R stands for. But I somehow doubt that it would stand for a specific customer or warranty provider. That would mean special runs for specific customers at the time the tangs and tails were being stamped. I looked at several other threads online, going back to 2007, and I don't think anyone knows what that letter means. My "13-R" shaves very well, so I won't let the letter concern me.

Yes, up until ~1979, at least.

Ok, the number of generations is arguable. I'll call it four distinct periods with caveats. We can see three in this thread. The first point to realize is that there are only two basic Filarmónica models -- the Especial (not initially 'Para Barbas Duras') & Doble Temple. As far as we can tell, all others are variations of the two original models. What is the difference between the two? I could go on and on about miniscule grind differences, profiles, and blade weights, but my personal suspicion is that JMP was just marketing more (Especial) & less (Doble Temple) decorated versions of the same razor.

The second point is that it is not my wish to offend anyone's sensibilities or insult their razors with my descriptions. If you like your razor, then enjoy it in good health...these are just my thoughts.

Third, I won't cover every variation of every marking, scale, box, gold seal, and re-branding lest I be at this all night.

And finally, these are my observations based on (mostly) personal experience as well as discussions with others over the years. Although Filarmónica isn't my very favorite, I like old French and Spanish razors, so I geek out on this kind of gouge. I don't purport my findings to be absolutes. Please do find concrete information to challenge my assertions.

1. First Generation: Jose Monserrat Pou's initial offerings - ~1915 - 1967.

• Pre-1950 versions will NOT have "FABRICACION ESPAÑOLA / MADE IN SPAIN" stamped on the rear of the tang

• Three main iterations of the "Especial" model (in order; transitional anomalies exist)
    • Tang shows curved Jose Monserrat Pou with stylized eagle (IMPERIAL brand), tall & vertical "14"
    • Tang shows IMPERIAL brand, straight Jose Monserrat Pou, short & horizontal "14" with lyre
    • Tang returns to curved Jose Monserrat Pou & tall/vertical "14", but with "FILARMONICA"
      • These would also have the 'musical' Especial/Filarmonica gold seal on the blade face
      • New white box with "Especial Para Barbas Duras" - the original EPBD

• The original "Doble Temple"
    • Tang similar to Especial with curved Jose Monserrat Pou, tall & vertical "14", and "FILARMONICA"
    • A different gold seal on the face, most notable attribute being the "JMP" initials in the center
      • Collectors will refer to this as a "JMP signature blade", the initials were later replaced by the lyre
      • See my earlier image for a pristine example; these are more rare and more highly valued by some
      • The rest of the gold seal might have been generic; I've found a Carl Friedrich Ern Crown & Shield with the same seal design

• The "Medallon Taurino" limited edition, bullfighting series was introduced
    • They're just Doble Temple 13s with six bullfighting themes on the face
    • Banderillas, Capote, Estocada, Cogida, Muleta, and Rejoneo
    • Three total iterations found across three generations of Filarmonica (anyone up to collect all 18?)
  • The "Sub Cero" was a cryo-treated Doble Temple. Tang stamp conventions apply. It stuck around into the next generations.

2. Second Generation: I call it the "Filarmonica Aesthetic Period" (FAP...fapfapfapfapfap...) - 1967-1979.

• The company seems to have decided that pretty makes profit, and thus updated their look.
    • New scales (a few versions), gold seals, and tang stamps mark this era.
    • Tang stamps settled into a uniform style with small horizontal number, lyre, JMP, model, and Filarmonica
  • The Especial blossomed into the more ornate Especial Para Barbas Duras with laser etching and tang grommet.
  • The Doble Temple continued as the brand's steadfast workhorse, steady as she goes.
  • Four more models appeared
    • TRIDUR Especial Para Barbas Duras - Trivalent chromium coating for less corrosion. It's harder to hone until the outer coating is removed. Name is on the face, otherwise identical to the EPBD.
    • Novodur Para Profesionales - not much known, though the marketing goal is clear. Notable are the embossed scales from the EPBD, third pin in the scales, model on the tang, and gold seal similar to Sub Cero
    • Especial Para Corte de Pelo - narrow EPBDs made for hair cutting with attachment. "Corte Cabello" on the face.
    • INOX / INOXIDABLE - stainless steel Doble Temple. I don't like stainless, so not much to say there. Most were 3rd gen and don't bear JMP's name.

3. Third generation: Jose Monserrat Pou passed away sometime in the late '70s - early '80s. His son took over for a brief period, apparently continuing to sell out the old stock of materials. This is a murky period which I avoid. Straight razors were banned from Spanish barbershops in 1985 (Hepatitis & HIV?) and safety/cartridge razors had taken over worldwide, so the diminished demand (along with JMP's absence) had a direct affect on production. Many people have declared success with these razors, but they are considered hit or miss by collectors.

• Key identifier is JMP's name having disappeared from the blades altogether
  • These are the razors you see in black "Sello Oro" boxes
  • Quality control was on the fritz with blade faces not matching tang stamps and other issues (lots of these on ebay from Japan)

4. Fourth generation: JMP's son died shortly after his father, then the daughter took over. The company closed a few years later in 1990.

• Very hard, brittle steel sourced from Pakistan - takes an edge, but falls apart sooner than expected
  • No tang marks, only perfunctory "FILARMONICA -DOBLE TEMPLE-" etched on the face
  • Some have Sello Oro packaging or just plastic sleeves
  • Simply avoid these unless you're a collector

The first gen blades are considered by some to be the highest quality Filarmónica produced. I believe this is partially a matter of nostalgia, because when examining the first two generations historically & practically (on hones and face), there doesn't seem to be a difference between them with regard to steel and grinding. There is no reason that the earliest third gen razors shouldn't perform as well as previous generation blades, but any razor lacking Jose Monserrat Pou's name is a gamble. For those of you who got the good ones, congratulations! But caveat emptor to anyone on the hunt for a new Filarmónica.
It's too bad I can't edit this post. I'm delighted it has helped to codify Filarmónica's offerings, but I'm simultaneously bewildered by the confusion it's caused. I've had some thoughts over the years to complete it, but I didn't realize there was any interest since my razors have lived in a drawer for a while. :rolleyes:

It's too bad I can't edit this post. I'm delighted it has helped to codify Filarmónica's offerings, but I'm simultaneously bewildered by the confusion it's caused. I've had some thoughts over the years to complete it, but I didn't realize there was any interest since my razors have lived in a drawer for a while. :rolleyes:

I myself would be glad to read all that you can write about Filarmonica.

Steve56

You can quote yourself - I think - then add an addendum.

Or you can copy your original post, paste it into a new one and then add/edit as you wish. The edits should be apparent.

Either of these approaches might be problematic as your original post has been spread about both with and without attribution. Looking at you SRPlace.

Same here. I keep this post saved and read it every so often. There’s tons of good info here for when I want to add to my meager Fili collection.

What info would you edit/add?
Grammar and format first, flesh out a few ideas for the sake of clarity, then add photos to illustrate. Beyond that, you tell me?

Either of these approaches might be problematic as your original post has been spread about both with and without attribution.
Yes, I've seen snippets of that hastily-slapped-together post quoted on several fora in at least 4 languages. I often see sections posted in isolation spiral out of context.

I'd chip in a coffee (or beverage of your choice) donation for a wiki article with photos :)

Wiki is a great idea! High discoverability of the most updated information would be ideal.

Grammar and format first, flesh out a few ideas for the sake of clarity, then add photos to illustrate. Beyond that, you tell me?

Yes, I've seen snippets of that hastily-slapped-together post quoted on several fora in at least 4 languages. I often see sections posted in isolation spiral out of context.

Wiki is a great idea! High discoverability of the most updated information would be ideal.
With pictures! 😊

Thats great… Pics are always good. More history of Filarmonica too but I’m not sure how much you know of what there is to know. Got any book recommendations?

Yes, I have seen your original post in many languages including Spanish.
It took me awhile to figure out where it originated and who was the original poster.
I have seen people copy whole posts like yours and then accept the compliments for the hard work without ever mentioning where it came from. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for the original post.

What makes them so good? Perfect steel, perfect grind, easy to hone, perfect shaves…has the WOW factor…that certain something!

This came back from restoration today, I killed the edge on a glass bottle, and the bevel was set after 13 light passes on a 4K Shapton Glass!

B1FE90C3-EF5B-4439-AC32-E09D471ED63C.jpeg
862D1340-54A6-4180-9FDB-2FE0D7CDA52D.jpeg
4F6F0878-F349-45B4-93AA-7AD81AA82FCF.jpeg

I do love my Filarmonica 14s!

Several 1st Gen Filarmonica 14 Doble Temple razors I have picked up along the way…the first is an actual “JMP” with the initials in the center instead of the lyre…the middle appears to be unused to me…the bottom is standard with the lyre in the middle.

They all have nearly perfect grinds, and the top and bottom ones are miraculous shavers…especially the JMP! It seems to have a little something extra!

Vr

Matt
34981546-74F2-44B5-8B24-C63018C90DB7.jpeg

I've got an interesting question for the Fili experts. I'm no expert myself but I have 16 Filis (13 and 14). Every one of the first 15 I bought had a hollow or half hollow grind. Then I happened upon a 13 Taurino Capote two months ago. Horrible shave so I honed it and stropped on diamond balsa. Today, I had my second shave and for some reason, I decided to check the grind. It looks more like a near wedge or quarter hollow. Pics attached. Those who are more experienced please weigh in. Is it the wear on the point? By the way the tail is stamped 13P. It shaves fine so I'm keeping it. Just curious.
Thanks

Fili Capote 13 - 12.jpg
Fili Capote 13 - 11.jpg

Top Bottom