What's new

Figuring out the Tsushima Black-Ocean

Months ago a Tsushima Black Jnat came up on the BST. I resisted buying it because the last 6 months have been a period of (slowly) thinning down my collection and besides, my time for honing is less than it used to be. After about 3 months, I still couldn't stop thinking of that stone and so I checked with Gamma to see if it was available and bought it.

It arrived packaged as if it were going into a war zone along with a matching Nagura, both well protected with laquer on the sides and bottoms. I tested out the feel that night, unlike anything else I own, with a test razor, but then had to put it away.

To keep this short, my first efforts went spectacularly awry. I used it as the base stone for a normal nagura progression, but couldn't get a decent edge. Frankly, it felt like I was stumbling along. The feel of the TSB is so different, that I lacked a frame reference for what it was telling me. I went back to Gamma a couple of times for some advice and he had me eliminate a bunch of variables.

This stone is "supposed" to come after the Botan, but that was just a suggestion from Gamma. My first attempt to use the stone only as an intermediate step after Botan didn't go well. It seemed to take the edge back. I put it away for the second night in a row and let things rest.

Today, however, I decided to try something different. I reset the bevel on my Heljestrand with the chosera and then went directly to the TSB. After that, the botan on a Nakayama Iromono followed with the expected progression on the same Iromono.

I took some pics to record what I saw.

Here's the bevel after the chosera 1k

$image.jpg

And here's the TSB with slurry. This is less than I used the previous times. Honestly, I don't know at this point if I'm heading in the wrong or the right direction. I can already see it's going to take a while to figure out.

$image.jpg

The next shot is of the edge after the TSB. Still visible scratches, but finer and not as uniform or as uniformly spaced as with the chosera. It looked like an improvement, but I wasn't really sure. One of the things I noticed about the TSB is that the feel is "stickier". When I tried to hone at normal speed, I'd get a feel like it was skipping. Once I slowed down, the skipping stopped and it felt better. This might be a generally advisable change in my honing technique, but with the TSB, I really had to do it. I let the loupe tell me when I was done.

$image.jpg

This pic is after Botan. It's pretty much what I expect to find after that point in the progression. I haven't shaved with the razor yet so I don't have final results, but it looks good. I did note that instead of having to refresh the Botan slurry 4 or 5 times as I've been having to do recently, I did only one minimal refresh of the botan.

$image.jpg

There's a lot to learn about this stone that I don't know. It was odd. Normally when I hit the hones, I know about where I am with the stone I'm on. This one is going to take a while to learn I can't imagine using just a TSB for a finished edge, but I'm dying to figure it out. As much of a mystery as this rock is, I think I'm in love with it.

How do the rest of you use the TSB for a finished edge or is it only a mid grit stone for you?

I use Tsushima Black as a starting point to retouch and as a finisher as well. As a finisher I go Tenyjou, Tsushima Black Tomonagura, Mejiro and Koma. I push this slurry 6+ dilutions until the slurry is black. Strop and shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Tsushima Black as a starting point to retouch and as a finisher as well. As a finisher I go Tenyjou, Tsushima Black Tomonagura, Mejiro and Koma. I push this slurry 6+ dilutions until the slurry is black. Strop and shave.

Which slurry do you push till it's black? The slurry when you use the TSB as a Toishi or the slurry from the Tomo on another of your Jnats?

Surface condition of the TBN is critical - a good polish is key to getting to the finish stage.
The best polish on them comes from using them - which is daunting because each time you use it they polish up so when you go back to figure it out you're at a different start point.

They are slow.... very slow. breaking the slurry down does not happen quickly. It just doesnt. You think it's going fast but it's more incremental than it feels. Try using some slurry on a Honzan - you'll see what I mean. A little pressure helps but it just doesn't go fast. At least, it never goes fast for me here in my house.

I've been working with one of mine for the past few days, along with a couple of new Aoto and a few other new toys.
Made a TBN clip last night actually;

Koma.

You can also push Tsushima Tomonagura if you wish. Pushing Tsushima results in a more fragile edge, Koma adds a marked level of refinement.

Surface condition of the TBN is critical - a good polish is key to getting to the finish stage.
The best polish on them comes from using them - which is daunting because each time you use it they polish up so when you go back to figure it out you're at a different start point.

They are slow.... very slow. breaking the slurry down does not happen quickly. It just doesnt. You think it's going fast but it's more incremental than it feels. Try using some slurry on a Honzan - you'll see what I mean. A little pressure helps but it just doesn't go fast. At least, it never goes fast for me here in my house.

I've been working with one of mine for the past few days, along with a couple of new Aoto and a few other new toys.
Made a TBN clip last night actually;

Slow? It feels like it should be fast. Knowing that changes things. I was operating under incorrect assumptions.

Koma.

You can also push Tsushima Tomonagura if you wish. Pushing Tsushima results in a more fragile edge, Koma adds a marked level of refinement.

This I will try.

To me - when honing - the feedback says that they are fast.
Under inspection - they do not seem fast.
It always takes me a good long time to get the satin pillow from heaven look.

I suppose any one stone could be fast - anything is possible.
Test test test.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
So how did you guys that figured it out figure it out? You didn't just try things at random without reason did you?

Cheers, Steve

Great question, I used from the beginning with botan tenjou mejiro and then onto a finisher. Never had to urge to try and finish on it. Im, enjoying this post though. I was always under the assumption based on slurries breaking that it worked relatively fast. I have to revisit it then.

History has a great deal to do with how I proceeded and helped formulate an approach.

Before Iwasaki endorsed all things Asano, Tsushima Black nagura was a staple in razor finishing. Iwasaki and Asano start doing their thing and Iwasaki singles out Tsushima as being some how inferior.

Gamma gifts me a TBN so I set out to figure out does TBN suck, or was Iwasaki simply pimping Asano. I first used TBN as the final nagura on all my finishers and shaved off of all them. This worked really well, I could definitely, without question shave off TBN when used as a final nagura before stropping. I then bought a Tsushima Kuro Toishi used it as an Awasedo with TBN and was able to shave comfortably off that as well. I did push the slurry to varying degrees to determine where to stop and get the most comfortable shave. While Mikawa Shiro and Asano stamped nagura do provide markedly variable levels of refinement, TBN does brings something to the table as well.

Why did Lummus hate Frederick Reynolds razors so much to single them out as prominently as he did? Is Reynolds to Lummus what TBN was to Iwasaki? Who knows.

History has a great deal to do with how I proceeded and helped me formulate an approach.

Before Iwasaki endorsed all things Asano, Tsushima Black nagura was a staple in razor finishing. Iwasaki and Asano start doing their thing and Iwasaki singles out Tsushima as some how inferior.

Gamma gifts me a TBN so I set out to figure out does TBN suck, or was Iwasaki simply pimping Asano.

I can't even generate a mental image for this.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thank you Nelson, excellent post! I just got a TBN (the nagura, not toishi) a few days ago so anything that helps me figure it out or saves me time is much appreciated.

What do you think it brings to the table the asano/Mikawa naguras don't?

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom