What's new

Figuring it out

Still pretty new to DE razor shaving ... about 2 months. Last week finished off my super speed birth yr/qtr set. C4 Flare tip, blue tip, red tip. So this morning I did a first pass with the red tip. Then relathered and did a second pass with the blue tip going cross and against the grain. Wow ... that really worked well! Very close shave. No nicks. No irritation.
fullsizeoutput_1d57.jpeg

Still pretty new to DE razor shaving ... about 2 months. Last week finished off my super speed birth yr/qtr set. C4 Flare tip, blue tip, red tip. So this morning I did a first pass with the red tip. Then relathered and did a second pass with the blue tip going cross and against the grain. Wow ... that really worked well! Very close shave. No nicks. No irritation.
View attachment 988727

Welcome to B&B, Sir Fuzzy!

Congrats on starting with great classic Gillette flare tip razors!

Where are you located?? Looks to be Navy region like San Diego or Norfolk!

flare tip gillette.jpg

Yep, the Super Speeds are great razors, I have the full set as well. I must admit that I like the red tip the most. Have you acquired a black tip yet? They have their own feel as well, not as aggressive as the red tip, but moreso than the blue tip.

No black tip yet. I’m going to stick with what I have now for awhile as far as razors. Got a Slim and a Fatboy besides the 3 above. Wait to get some more experience. Thanks for the recommendation.

Brother Fuzz,

Though I have the 3 razors but have never done it, I've always though it would be interesting to do the customary 3 pass shave with Red Tip, Flare Tip, and Blue Tip in that sequence.

In theory it should be great, but if one has heavy whiskers I don't know if it would be an improvement over 3 passes, all with the Red Tip.

View attachment 988727

Lovely set!! Congrats! :a14::a14::a14:

Retired Navy. Now in the Denver area. Although I did spend many years in San Diego.

Congratulations on the shave, and thanks for your service. I'm retired Air Force.

Be sure to check out the Foxhole Shavers Club in the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum.

Brother Fuzz,

Though I have the 3 razors but have never done it, I've always though it would be interesting to do the customary 3 pass shave with Red Tip, Flare Tip, and Blue Tip in that sequence.

In theory it should be great, but if one has heavy whiskers I don't know if it would be an improvement over 3 passes, all with the Red Tip.
I am still new to this. My thought was that using a milder razor for a second pass would clean up what was missed with less irritation. It was the first time I ever shaved twice in a row - first time I did a second pass. At least for me, it worked well.

The answers to questions of this type are all over the map. Even the experts can disagree. Shaving is an art more than a science, but even that statement may be controversial. :001_smile

Do your own experimentation. Although there is great value in reading the evaluations and opinions of others, you are the best judge for the "how to" of shaving your face.

Top Bottom