What's new

Figured Maple

Hit the local wood store yesterday. Snagged a nice piece of figured maple and black locust (which I’ve never worked with before).

Went with a polyurethane exterior finish. I will use CA inside the hole for waterproofing purposes. I really dislike working with CA... it sucks the fun right outta the hobby for me.

Heres the first maple handle:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Maple is such a great wood to work with and it is amazing how many different grain patterns can be found in one tree

Beautiful handle. I completely agree with you on the CA although it is what I usually use.

How do you apply the CA to a handle?

I've been putting a few drops on a nitrile glove then wiping it on the turning at my lathe's lowest speed.

It never turns out right and I'm spending insane amounts of time steelwooling the uneven CA finish off.

There has to be a better way or better product.

How do you apply the CA to a handle?

I've been putting a few drops on a nitrile glove then wiping it on the turning at my lathe's lowest speed.

It never turns out right and I'm spending insane amounts of time steelwooling the uneven CA finish off.

There has to be a better way or better product.

I cut the fingers off a nitrile glove and use them one at a time on my index finger. Apply a few drops at a time using one side then the other of the cut offs to get 10 coats out of one glove. I build up a bunch of thin coats lightly sanding after several coats. Wet sanding is best unless it's really rough. Then build a few more coats and do a final sanding to 12,000 grit wet micro mesh. Then polish with MAAS metal polish. It's a real pain in the @#$ but the resulting glass like finish that is really really durable is hard to beat. I'm sure you have seen what it can look like but I could post some pictures of mine if you want, or PM them to you. I don't want to hijack your thread with my brushes.

Top Bottom