What's new

Fiberglass

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
That is a nice reel and I like his work- I have read about Clark in the Gierach books- seems like a cool company. I've been getting into bamboo as well, and I hope to make my first split cane rod this winter.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
That is a nice reel and I like his work- I have read about Clark in the Gierach books- seems like a cool company. I've been getting into bamboo as well, and I hope to make my first split cane rod this winter.
I first met John Gierach & Mike Price back when I worked for Hardy USA ... they made the drive up the hill to look at some reels & to cast a bamboo rod (The Yellowstone) Hardy had built for the U.S. market. One week later, my name was on Clark’s waiting list, which at the time meant a 3-plus year wait for one of his bamboo rods.

Though I always wanted to build my own rod, I never got around to it ... too many other things were vying for my attention & $s. Keep us posted on your rod building endeavor!

I have a book recommendation for you, one written by a local acquaintance, Erin Block ... it’s called, The View From Coal Creek: Reflections on Fly Rods, Canyons, and Bamboo. Erin is a gifted writer & the book, which is so well-written, would be an excellent companion as you set out to build that bamboo rod.

Fiberglass has always been a great rod building material. I’ve fished it all my life. While I use bamboo, graphite, and glass, I’d rather play a fish on a glass rod than any other type.

I'm a biggg fan of glass. The majority of my fly rods are glass. Many of my conventional rods as well. Really love the relaxed casting and that deep bend. Many are less expensive but they are still a blast 👍

20190601_103340.jpg

20190601_141335.jpg

20180630_135414.jpg

20200711_130106.jpg

received_531722627727285.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
And it is done. I chose the yellow thread to match the hex hatch that I planned this rod for. It is a 6 weight and will be used in the dark. This is my last glass rod- I don't need any more, and now I am off to the basement to begin setting up the bamboo rod making workshop. I just picked a ton of tools, forms, planes, a weird home-made oven, binding machines, cane, and all sorts of things I don't know how to use. Also, a half dozen books so I will start from zero.
I probably will never be seen again...
fullsizeoutput_50e.jpeg

And it is done. I chose the yellow thread to match the hex hatch that I planned this rod for. It is a 6 weight and will be used in the dark. This is my last glass rod- I don't need any more, and now I am off to the basement to begin setting up the bamboo rod making workshop. I just picked a ton of tools, forms, planes, a weird home-made oven, binding machines, cane, and all sorts of things I don't know how to use. Also, a half dozen books so I will start from zero.
I probably will never be seen again...

Absolutely nothing wrong with bamboo

Well done, EB Newfarm! I like the shape of the grip, and the wraps look great. I do take issue with your statement: "...I don't need any more." You always need just one more. ;)

I'm a glass fisherman and builder myself. I'm in the planning stage for an Epic 580, 8' 5wt, 4-piece:

Epic_580.jpeg

Thought I'd better resurrect this thread. I was planning that rod two years ago, then major back surgery and complications got in the way. I didn't get around to building again until this year. I picked up with the Epic, a gift to my son, in the spring.
All Photos - 1 of 1 (4).jpeg

I went with a different reel seat and insert than in previous post, this one a Struble U20 with Curly Capa Bianco insert.

Wrapped and ready to finish:
All Photos - 1 of 1 (3).jpeg

And on an outing with my son, next to a Steffen Bros. 4/5wt rod I built several years ago:
All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

I built some others over the summer; will post those soon. Hope to see new work from our little B&B glass community too!

Top Bottom