What's new

FHS Blades – Question and Comment

First the question – Why are people only getting 1 to 2 shaves per blade from the FHS blade when all the other Feather blades provide many more shaves per blade? I can’t believe that Feather is deliberately cutting quality on their blades to make them wear out sooner just so they can sell more blades. I am sure I am missing something here.

Second the comment – In exchanging emails with OneBlade, the following was stated in their email to me: “The more exciting news is that we are constantly looking to improve our products and catalog. We will be meeting with a new blade manufacturer this year to see if we are able to add another blade to our catalog. An endeavor we are extremely excited about. Unfortunately, I do not have a timeline or an ETA on this, but we will always look to improve things at OneBlade.”

Obviously, I am interested in the Genesis OneBlade razor, but I just can't get by the blade issue.

I get more than 1 or 2 shaves from my FHS-10s (the carbon FHS-5 blade is another matter, it's terrible for shaving). I usually get at least 5 good shaves from a Feather SE blade in my Auto Strop razors. I do think this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

It's important to remember that whatever the purpose that most FHS customers use these blades for, it's not shaving. Only an application like medical testing/laboratory use could justify the continued production of this blade so long after it became obsolete for shaving. For such users, longevity may not be of prime interest, or perhaps the edge does not become dull as quickly as it does when mowing down whiskers. Regardless, it's a good blade (for me) in the razors the blade was originally designed for.

Interesting to hear that OB is exploring other options.

First the question – Why are people only getting 1 to 2 shaves per blade from the FHS blade when all the other Feather blades provide many more shaves per blade? I can’t believe that Feather is deliberately cutting quality on their blades to make them wear out sooner just so they can sell more blades. I am sure I am missing something here.

Second the comment – In exchanging emails with OneBlade, the following was stated in their email to me: “The more exciting news is that we are constantly looking to improve our products and catalog. We will be meeting with a new blade manufacturer this year to see if we are able to add another blade to our catalog. An endeavor we are extremely excited about. Unfortunately, I do not have a timeline or an ETA on this, but we will always look to improve things at OneBlade.”

Obviously, I am interested in the Genesis OneBlade razor, but I just can't get by the blade issue.
The only razor I've heard of the FHS blade only getting 1-3 shaves in is the Oneblade. Others like Salty above use them in older razors that they were designed for and get many more shaves from the blades. I think I've read where someone was getting up to 10 shaves on one in an old razor. I think its the design of the Oneblade that takes away from the blade not being used as intended that wears the blade quicker, and smartly for Oneblade as the quicker you go through your FHS blades, the quicker you need to resupply them and they sell quite a few which are at a higher profit margin of anything they sell... It reminds me of when I sold shoes for a living. The items that had the largest markup were items like laces, polish, purses, back packs, and the such. The shoes had hardly any mark up value in them at all...

We will be meeting with a new blade manufacturer this year to see if we are able to add another blade to our catalog.

This is exciting. I sure hope the blade they have in mind is the Gem PTFE.

Like many people, I also could only get one or two good shaves with the FHS-10, whereas I can get 8 out of a Gem PTFE (and I find them to be notably better shaves)

It could well be that while you can shave with the FHS (and most people who use them can shave very well) their grind may be being optimised for a different primary application, as Salty suggests. It’s not like a new valet autostrop has been made in decades.

I was thinking “maybe it’s the floating blade system” but then I remembered that people were still only getting a small number of good shaves with the FHS in the V1 Genesis, which did not have the float.

Maybe the OB simply holds the blade at a different angle to an autostrop, an angle that causes a faster rate of wear.

This is exciting. I sure hope the blade they have in mind is the Gem PTFE.

Since the GEM PTFE blade is readily available, I don't think they have to meet with anyone to use it!

The only thing they would be trying to do, is raise the price of the blade they want to use next. I'm surprised one blade is still in business!

It’s kind of boring to keep reading how so many of you think that Oneblade are a bunch of crooks.

I don’t believe they are crooks. They have a business model some people don’t like, but y’all act like they personally spat in your eyes.

Top Bottom