What's new

FFL03 C&R arrived, and a question

My C&R license arrived the other day. I know I have to record qualifying firearms that I use the license to acquire in a bound book, but is there any reason I should (or shouldn't) transfer the C&R guns I bought previously via normal retail channels into my C&R book? I think the procedure would be to record them as "transferred from my private collection" and the day I made the transfer as the acquisition date, but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to doing so. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
You can now use a spreadsheet instead of a bound book as long as you also keep copies showing any changes. Much easier and far more useful. I have a directory that has one that is just C&R with a file named after the date of each change so they can see all of the changes if audited. I also have a second that lists all the firearms I own but just have the one example that grows or shrinks. In both cases I also store the data on multiple disk.

There is no advantage to add in anything not purchased or sold during the period you have your C&R but no law prohibiting it that I am aware of.

But then the best place to ask is ATF and my experience has been that they are very polite and considerate.

@Salty O'Rourke ... congrats on your C&R license. If you wouldn’t mind saying, how long did take to receive your C&R? Thanks

It took a little longer that it would have had I not made a mistake on the application. I failed to initial one of the little boxes so the form was returned to me for correction along with a 30-day deadline to make the correction and get it back to ATF. I was pleased that they gave me the opportunity to fix my error; you hear so much guff about Federal employees that you expect the worst.

Anyway, taking out the delay I caused, say about 2.5-3 months or so.

Personally I keep a seperate record. Any acquisition or disposition of a firearm via a C&R sale or transfer must be recorded. The Feds have the right to examine that book and your inventory of C&R arms. I prefer to keep my arms acquired by other means "private" and separate.

Another thing to consider, if the arms you had prior to getting the C&R license are less than 50 years old, and you record them, are you creating a false record as they do not meet the requirements, they certainly could not be sold or transferred as a C&R arm.

You asked about C&R guns acquired before you got your license, they simply were not at that time considered C&R guns, and you probably filled out a 2214 for that purchase, unless they were definetly an antique, made prior to 1898.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ This. Keep a separate record of your previously acquired firearms, but don't put them in your C&R record book. When I gave up my FFL, I had to send my record book to the BATF. Prior to doing so, I made a copy of it for my records.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...I was pleased that they gave me the opportunity to fix my error; you hear so much guff about Federal employees that you expect the worst.
Anyway, taking out the delay I caused, say about 2.5-3 months or so.
Thanks for the info, sir

I'm with you on your, you hear so much guff about Federal employees comment. I filled out the e-form(s) for an SBR & received a confirmation email from a female agent the very same day. About four weeks later, the tax stamp shows up in my in-box along with a message -- from the same agent -- that read something along the lines of: "Congratulations...enclosed is your tax stamp...enjoy your SBR". Of course, she'll probably be the one knocking on my door some day, eh ;-)

Top Bottom