What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2023 Edition

Noggin shaxe

Vector
ProGuard
xXx
Semogue Mistura
(Avon Spicy)

Really enjoy using my Vector for head shaves. Using the ProGuard blades it has almost become an autopilot shave...and I have gained a great appreciation for the Mistura over the last couple of weeks. It will always have a spot in my regular brush rotation.

20230319_151018.jpg

11th shave

W12.jpg

This month variants

AS splash / balm used so far :

Clubman Pinaud
Proraso white aftershave balm
Aqua Velva
Sterling Sharp Dress Man splash
Nivea Sensitive After Shave balm
Skin Bracer by Mennen
Osage rub
Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic splash
Tabac
Proraso Blue
Nivea Men Moisturizing Post shave Balm

AS splash / balm remaining to use for sure :

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Nivea Sensitive Calm Moisturizer
Brut Classic
Mennen Grand Large

And the wild card

L'Oreal Men Expert all in 1 moisturizing cream
Neutrogena Triple Protect face lotion
Dove Men+Care Ultra-Hydra Cream
Gillette Series Conditioning After Shave Gel

3-19-23 Sunday
FFFMM 11/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (3-3)
Blade: Treet platinum(3)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: n/a
20230319_161109.jpg

Lazy afternoon on the couch with the missus. Decided to do a quick 2 pass cleanup before laying down for a nap. Slick lather, light touch DFS+
Be well
Jay

FFFMM - Shave #14

Razor:
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
Blade: Dorco Titan
(4th Use)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Aluminum Layered Comfort handle w/Mühle STF 25mm @~55mm
Soap: Unscented With Beeswax by Stirling Soap Co.

Post-Shave:
Stirling's Satsuma Aftershave Splash (no menthol)
Stirling's Post Shave Balm (unscented w/menthol)

Three pass shave (last pass is more or less cleanup).

I haven't shaved since Wednesday evening. So I had four days growth this evening. The Dorco blade was a bit tuggy on the first pass. And I managed to give myself a small nick on my chin. I didn't feel it, but noticed it when I began to lather up for the second pass. Perhaps the Dorco Titan is best as a daily shave blade rather than one to tackle excessive growth. Still, I had a great shave. The Stirling splash gave me just a hint of sting. A DFS+.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
20230227_122329-jpg.1613710

(Recycled pic - yet again)

March 19th, 22:30
8th Fixed Four shave (2 day growth)
8th shave on this blade

As the last shave felt a little too close in places, comfort was the target today. I certainly got that, but in doing so, sacrificed a little closeness on the left side jaw line. I was aware that the angle wasn't quite right during the shave, but decided not to chase it, and overdo the passes.

So I am still having to make a conscious choice between ease/speed, closeness, and comfort. I can switch off attention and just let the shave happen (as per last time), chase perfectly stubble free, or pursue total comfort. I can have any one of those three comfortably, maybe I'll even get two, but can't yet engage autopilot and walk away with the hat trick.

This is do to nothing more than it only being the eighth (ninth, if you count the last shave of last month) shave with this head/handle combo. Howecer, impatience is still leading me to compare my current proficiency with this set up, to the razor I have several year's experience with, which is utterly ridiculous. I think I'm simply starting to miss my autopilot shaves... although after spending a month with a different razor, I'd have to wait a while until I'd recalibrated that back again anyway.

Ironically, while the fixed four may well lead to greater kit familiarity for some folks, and indeed better shaves, as I generally tend to stick to one razor anyway, it's somewhat of a disruption to my own familiarity. I think today was the first day that was really noticed, and missed.

3-19-23 Sunday
FFFMM 11/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (3-3)
Blade: Treet platinum(3)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: n/a
View attachment 1623594
Lazy afternoon on the couch with the missus. Decided to do a quick 2 pass cleanup before laying down for a nap. Slick lather, light touch DFS+
Be well
Jay

Is that the bottom of the jar that I see? I can't be sure 'cause I've never seen that, only heard stories.

20230227_122329-jpg.1613710

(Recycled pic - yet again)

March 19th, 22:30
8th Fixed Four shave (2 day growth)
8th shave on this blade

As the last shave felt a little too close in places, comfort was the target today. I certainly got that, but in doing so, sacrificed a little closeness on the left side jaw line. I was aware that the angle wasn't quite right during the shave, but decided not to chase it, and overdo the passes.

So I am still having to make a conscious choice between ease/speed, closeness, and comfort. I can switch off attention and just let the shave happen (as per last time), chase perfectly stubble free, or pursue total comfort. I can have any one of those three comfortably, maybe I'll even get two, but can't yet engage autopilot and walk away with the hat trick.

This is do to nothing more than it only being the eighth (ninth, if you count the last shave of last month) shave with this head/handle combo. Howecer, impatience is still leading me to compare my current proficiency with this set up, to the razor I have several year's experience with, which is utterly ridiculous. I think I'm simply starting to miss my autopilot shaves... although after spending a month with a different razor, I'd have to wait a while until I'd recalibrated that back again anyway.

Ironically, while the fixed four may well lead to greater kit familiarity for some folks, and indeed better shaves, as I generally tend to stick to one razor anyway, it's somewhat of a disruption to my own familiarity. I think today was the first day that was really noticed, and missed.

I don't want to encourage quitting - like me, I'm a quitter 😄 - but when I threw in the towel on my FFFMM razor choice and went back to something milder, I got one of my best shaves ever.

Makes me wonder if, even though I bailed out early on this challenge, I still improved enough to impact my technique with my other razors...or maybe it was just easier in comparison so it seemed better.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't shaved since Wednesday evening. So I had four days growth this evening. The Dorco blade was a bit tuggy on the first pass.

I can get a tuggy first pass on more than three day growth with a closed comb razor too. The comb rides over the stubble, lifting the blade higher off the skin. If I don't switch to an open comb razor (which I often do for heavier growth), I have to switch to choppier short strokes to keep the blade low, and reduce that tug.

So personally, I wouldn't be looking to the blade for "fault" there. I'd likely have the same result irrespective of my blade choice, if I didn't change razor, or handling for that first pass.

I can get a tuggy first pass on more than three day growth with a closed comb razor too. The comb rides over the stubble, lifting the blade higher off the skin. If I don't switch to an open comb razor (which I often do for heavier growth), I have to switch to choppier short strokes to keep the blade low, and reduce that tug.

So personally, I wouldn't be looking to the blade for "fault" there. I'd likely have the same result irrespective of my blade choice, if I didn't change razor, or handling for that first pass.
Good point. I don't think I've ever compared an OC to a CC. And since buying OC plates, I may have used an OC on longer growth without really noticing how well it worked. And normally I don't wait that long between shaves. :)

The soap in my tiny Clubman tub had become a pronounced donut. Out came the teaspoon to flatten the sides and fill the hole... but the soap consistency made it so easy that I decided to repot it, and two new tubs, in one of my favorite sized tubs:
Clubman-Shave-Soap-repot_2023-03-19.jpg

Easy peasy! :thumbup1:

I've been weighing the soap after every shave. I had 53 shaves out of the original tiny Clubman tub (before repotting it) and they averaged 0.777g per shave. That would be equivalent to ~76 shaves per tub.

My first shave using the bigger tub this evening was great (details in SOTD below). I'm seriously considering purchasing another six tubs.

Heck, why not? I've just purchased another six tubs at the amazing price of £14.99 (~$18) including shipping (on eBay UK HERE). :001_cool:

FFFMM 2023 SOTD
SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-O_2023-03-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Gillette NEW Flat Bottom GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (9)
ASL: Clubman Musk

Another fine shave. :biggrin:
I'm definitely loving the team I picked for the FFFMM. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
FFFMM

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (3)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower and a dollop of aloe
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

Was too exhausted to waterboard tye whiskers or think about skin stretching. Was lucid enough to focus on feeling cap and comb on chin (improvement!), but not as good with upper lip (minor setback!). I was a slight bit of irritation in the upper part of the upper lip away from close enough.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Sunday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS and SR-36 Bronze handle
Blade: Personna (4)
Brush: Semogue Torga Mistura C3
Soap: Zingari Man the Wanderer
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20230320_072905.jpg

Another nice one pass shave with the Lite last night, with a mostly wet cleanup pass, all WTG.
Probably the closest shave yet, I heard the razor roar as it was taking down the stubble it missed from yesterday's one pass shave.

It seems the effective cutting angle on the Lite is quite narrow, once discovered the Lite does let you know in a very subtle way as the volume suddenly increases.
The cleanup wet pass was with zero pressure, only the blade touching my skin.

The Witch hazel felt slick, the Classic Vanilla a real nice blending with the Wanderer, the Nivea balm observing another shave will be needed soon.

Have some nice shaves

~doug~

The soap in my tiny Clubman tub had become a pronounced donut. Out came the teaspoon to flatten the sides and fill the hole... but the soap consistency made it so easy that I decided to repot it, and two new tubs, in one of my favorite sized tubs:
Clubman-Shave-Soap-repot_2023-03-19.jpg

Easy peasy! :thumbup1:

I've been weighing the soap after every shave. I had 53 shaves out of the original tiny Clubman tub (before repotting it) and they averaged 0.777g per shave. That would be equivalent to ~76 shaves per tub.

My first shave using the bigger tub this evening was great (details in SOTD below). I'm seriously considering purchasing another six tubs.

Heck, why not? I've just purchased another six tubs at the amazing price of £14.99 (~$18) including shipping (on eBay UK HERE). :001_cool:

FFFMM 2023 SOTD
SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-O_2023-03-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Gillette NEW Flat Bottom GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (9)
ASL: Clubman Musk

Another fine shave. :biggrin:
I'm definitely loving the team I picked for the FFFMM. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

I'm assuming that Clubman soap smells like the classic aftershave?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Noce OC
Blade: New Lord Platinum (8)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Cream: Old Spice Original
Aftershave: Old Spice Original
053_01_25.jpg

My first shave of the week went well. This FFFMM lineup checks all the boxes. It is my favorite line-up, and you know when I say that it's like bringing Monopoly money to the bank! :w00t:

Top Bottom